How to open to a particular file

Happy

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2004

Is there a way to open a program to a particular file with one click,
(either in quick launch, or left side of start menu) without having to first
open the program, then search for the file? I have 2 files that I enter /
use quite often, and find it a pain to have to search each time. I have
used "recent documents", but these get bumped pretty quickly when opening a
lot of files.

Create a shortcut on the desktop for a file you use a lot. Right click on
the file's icon and choose Send To/Desktop as Shortcut.

When you double click on the shortcut the program that made the file will
open with the file loaded and ready to go.

"Happy" <happy@trial.ca> wrote in message
> Is there a way to open a program to a particular file with one click,
> (either in quick launch, or left side of start menu) without having to
> first open the program, then search for the file? I have 2 files that I
> enter / use quite often, and find it a pain to have to search each time.
> I have used "recent documents", but these get bumped pretty quickly when
> opening a lot of files.

And after you create the shortcut on the desktop you can drag it to the
quick launch bar in the taskbar and it will open with one click.....just be
sure to unlock the taskbar first if it is locked.

> Create a shortcut on the desktop for a file you use a lot. Right click on
> the file's icon and choose Send To/Desktop as Shortcut.
>
> When you double click on the shortcut the program that made the file will
> open with the file loaded and ready to go.

> "Happy" <happy@trial.ca> wrote in message
> > Is there a way to open a program to a particular file with one click,
> > (either in quick launch, or left side of start menu) without having to
> > first open the program, then search for the file? I have 2 files that I
> > enter / use quite often, and find it a pain to have to search each time.
> > I have used "recent documents", but these get bumped pretty quickly when
> > opening a lot of files.

Good point.

"LVTravel" <trash@dd.com> wrote in message
> And after you create the shortcut on the desktop you can drag it to the
> quick launch bar in the taskbar and it will open with one click.....just
> be
> sure to unlock the taskbar first if it is locked.

>> Create a shortcut on the desktop for a file you use a lot. Right click
>> on
>> the file's icon and choose Send To/Desktop as Shortcut.
>>
>> When you double click on the shortcut the program that made the file will
>> open with the file loaded and ready to go.
>>
>> --
>> "Happy" <happy@trial.ca> wrote in message
>> > Is there a way to open a program to a particular file with one click,
>> > (either in quick launch, or left side of start menu) without having to
>> > first open the program, then search for the file? I have 2 files that I
>> > enter / use quite often, and find it a pain to have to search each
>> > time.
>> > I have used "recent documents", but these get bumped pretty quickly
>> > when
>> > opening a lot of files.

However, the next best thing is to right click on the Taskbar, unlock it,
right click again and choose Toolbars/Desktop. Then lock the Taskbar again.
Now when you click on the Desktop chevron that now appears on your Taskbar
you can choose any program, folder, or file on the desktop. Choosing your
shortcut is the same as doubleclicking it on the desktop.

> Good point.

> "LVTravel" <trash@dd.com> wrote in message
>> And after you create the shortcut on the desktop you can drag it to the
>> quick launch bar in the taskbar and it will open with one click.....just
>> be
>> sure to unlock the taskbar first if it is locked.
>>

>> "Colin Barnhorst" <colinbarharst(nojunk)@msn.com> wrote in message
>>> Create a shortcut on the desktop for a file you use a lot. Right click
>>> on
>>> the file's icon and choose Send To/Desktop as Shortcut.
>>>
>>> When you double click on the shortcut the program that made the file
>>> will
>>> open with the file loaded and ready to go.
>>>
>>> --
>>> "Happy" <happy@trial.ca> wrote in message

Happy

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2004

Perfect. I have now done this, and it will speed things up for the word &
excel files that I use regularly. Is there a way to "pin" it to the top of
the right hand side of the start menu?
> Good point.

> "LVTravel" <trash@dd.com> wrote in message
>> And after you create the shortcut on the desktop you can drag it to the
>> quick launch bar in the taskbar and it will open with one click.....just
>> be
>> sure to unlock the taskbar first if it is locked.
>>

>> "Colin Barnhorst" <colinbarharst(nojunk)@msn.com> wrote in message
>>> Create a shortcut on the desktop for a file you use a lot. Right click
>>> on
>>> the file's icon and choose Send To/Desktop as Shortcut.
>>>
>>> When you double click on the shortcut the program that made the file
>>> will
>>> open with the file loaded and ready to go.
>>>
>>> --
>>> "Happy" <happy@trial.ca> wrote in message

Shortcuts made that way do not show "Pin to Start Menu" on the context menu
the way most program shortcuts do. Sorry.

> Perfect. I have now done this, and it will speed things up for the word &
> excel files that I use regularly. Is there a way to "pin" it to the top of
> the right hand side of the start menu?
>> Good point.
>>
>> --
>> "LVTravel" <trash@dd.com> wrote in message
>>> And after you create the shortcut on the desktop you can drag it to the
>>> quick launch bar in the taskbar and it will open with one click.....just
>>> be
>>> sure to unlock the taskbar first if it is locked.
>>>

>>> "Colin Barnhorst" <colinbarharst(nojunk)@msn.com> wrote in message

Happy

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2004

Thank you! As usual, more answers than my little brain can absorb at once-
but I save them, and hopefully they will sink in eventually!
> However, the next best thing is to right click on the Taskbar, unlock it,
> right click again and choose Toolbars/Desktop. Then lock the Taskbar
> again. Now when you click on the Desktop chevron that now appears on your
> Taskbar you can choose any program, folder, or file on the desktop.
> Choosing your shortcut is the same as doubleclicking it on the desktop.

>> Good point.
>>
>> --
>> "LVTravel" <trash@dd.com> wrote in message
>>> And after you create the shortcut on the desktop you can drag it to the
>>> quick launch bar in the taskbar and it will open with one click.....just
>>> be
>>> sure to unlock the taskbar first if it is locked.
>>>

>>> "Colin Barnhorst" <colinbarharst(nojunk)@msn.com> wrote in message

You're welcome.

> Thank you! As usual, more answers than my little brain can absorb at once-
> but I save them, and hopefully they will sink in eventually!
>> However, the next best thing is to right click on the Taskbar, unlock it,
>> right click again and choose Toolbars/Desktop. Then lock the Taskbar
>> again. Now when you click on the Desktop chevron that now appears on your
>> Taskbar you can choose any program, folder, or file on the desktop.
>> Choosing your shortcut is the same as doubleclicking it on the desktop.
>>
>> --
>> "Colin Barnhorst" <colinbarharst(nojunk)@msn.com> wrote in message
>>> Good point.
>>>
>>> --
>>> "LVTravel" <trash@dd.com> wrote in message

Hi, Happy;
I've done this by dragging shortcuts to the pinned area and dropping them
there.
Regards,
Ian.