How to open to a particular file

Is there a way to open a program to a particular file with one click,
(either in quick launch, or left side of start menu) without having to first
open the program, then search for the file? I have 2 files that I enter /
use quite often, and find it a pain to have to search each time. I have
used "recent documents", but these get bumped pretty quickly when opening a
lot of files.
9 answers Last reply
More about open file

    Create a shortcut on the desktop for a file you use a lot. Right click on
    the file's icon and choose Send To/Desktop as Shortcut.

    When you double click on the shortcut the program that made the file will
    open with the file loaded and ready to go.

    "Happy" <happy@trial.ca> wrote in message
    > Is there a way to open a program to a particular file with one click,
    > (either in quick launch, or left side of start menu) without having to
    > first open the program, then search for the file? I have 2 files that I
    > enter / use quite often, and find it a pain to have to search each time.
    > I have used "recent documents", but these get bumped pretty quickly when
    > opening a lot of files.

    And after you create the shortcut on the desktop you can drag it to the
    quick launch bar in the taskbar and it will open with one click.....just be
    sure to unlock the taskbar first if it is locked.

    > Create a shortcut on the desktop for a file you use a lot. Right click on
    > the file's icon and choose Send To/Desktop as Shortcut.
    >
    > When you double click on the shortcut the program that made the file will
    > open with the file loaded and ready to go.

    > "Happy" <happy@trial.ca> wrote in message
    > > Is there a way to open a program to a particular file with one click,
    > > (either in quick launch, or left side of start menu) without having to
    > > first open the program, then search for the file? I have 2 files that I
    > > enter / use quite often, and find it a pain to have to search each time.
    > > I have used "recent documents", but these get bumped pretty quickly when
    > > opening a lot of files.

    Good point.

    "LVTravel" <trash@dd.com> wrote in message
    > And after you create the shortcut on the desktop you can drag it to the
    > quick launch bar in the taskbar and it will open with one click.....just
    > be
    > sure to unlock the taskbar first if it is locked.

    >> Create a shortcut on the desktop for a file you use a lot. Right click
    >> on
    >> the file's icon and choose Send To/Desktop as Shortcut.
    >>
    >> When you double click on the shortcut the program that made the file will
    >> open with the file loaded and ready to go.
    >>
    >> --
    >> "Happy" <happy@trial.ca> wrote in message
    >> > Is there a way to open a program to a particular file with one click,
    >> > (either in quick launch, or left side of start menu) without having to
    >> > first open the program, then search for the file? I have 2 files that I
    >> > enter / use quite often, and find it a pain to have to search each
    >> > time.
    >> > I have used "recent documents", but these get bumped pretty quickly
    >> > when
    >> > opening a lot of files.

    However, the next best thing is to right click on the Taskbar, unlock it,
    right click again and choose Toolbars/Desktop. Then lock the Taskbar again.
    Now when you click on the Desktop chevron that now appears on your Taskbar
    you can choose any program, folder, or file on the desktop. Choosing your
    shortcut is the same as doubleclicking it on the desktop.

    > Good point.

    > "LVTravel" <trash@dd.com> wrote in message
    >> And after you create the shortcut on the desktop you can drag it to the
    >> quick launch bar in the taskbar and it will open with one click.....just
    >> be
    >> sure to unlock the taskbar first if it is locked.
    >>

    >> "Colin Barnhorst" <colinbarharst(nojunk)@msn.com> wrote in message
    >>> Create a shortcut on the desktop for a file you use a lot. Right click
    >>> on
    >>> the file's icon and choose Send To/Desktop as Shortcut.
    >>>
    >>> When you double click on the shortcut the program that made the file
    >>> will
    >>> open with the file loaded and ready to go.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> "Happy" <happy@trial.ca> wrote in message

    Perfect. I have now done this, and it will speed things up for the word &
    excel files that I use regularly. Is there a way to "pin" it to the top of
    the right hand side of the start menu?
    > Good point.

    > "LVTravel" <trash@dd.com> wrote in message
    >> And after you create the shortcut on the desktop you can drag it to the
    >> quick launch bar in the taskbar and it will open with one click.....just
    >> be
    >> sure to unlock the taskbar first if it is locked.
    >>

    >> "Colin Barnhorst" <colinbarharst(nojunk)@msn.com> wrote in message
    >>> Create a shortcut on the desktop for a file you use a lot. Right click
    >>> on
    >>> the file's icon and choose Send To/Desktop as Shortcut.
    >>>
    >>> When you double click on the shortcut the program that made the file
    >>> will
    >>> open with the file loaded and ready to go.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> "Happy" <happy@trial.ca> wrote in message

    Shortcuts made that way do not show "Pin to Start Menu" on the context menu
    the way most program shortcuts do. Sorry.

    > Perfect. I have now done this, and it will speed things up for the word &
    > excel files that I use regularly. Is there a way to "pin" it to the top of
    > the right hand side of the start menu?
    >> Good point.
    >>
    >> --
    >> "LVTravel" <trash@dd.com> wrote in message
    >>> And after you create the shortcut on the desktop you can drag it to the
    >>> quick launch bar in the taskbar and it will open with one click.....just
    >>> be
    >>> sure to unlock the taskbar first if it is locked.
    >>>

    >>> "Colin Barnhorst" <colinbarharst(nojunk)@msn.com> wrote in message

    Thank you! As usual, more answers than my little brain can absorb at once-
    but I save them, and hopefully they will sink in eventually!
    > However, the next best thing is to right click on the Taskbar, unlock it,
    > right click again and choose Toolbars/Desktop. Then lock the Taskbar
    > again. Now when you click on the Desktop chevron that now appears on your
    > Taskbar you can choose any program, folder, or file on the desktop.
    > Choosing your shortcut is the same as doubleclicking it on the desktop.

    >> Good point.
    >>
    >> --
    >> "LVTravel" <trash@dd.com> wrote in message
    >>> And after you create the shortcut on the desktop you can drag it to the
    >>> quick launch bar in the taskbar and it will open with one click.....just
    >>> be
    >>> sure to unlock the taskbar first if it is locked.
    >>>

    >>> "Colin Barnhorst" <colinbarharst(nojunk)@msn.com> wrote in message

    You're welcome.

    > Thank you! As usual, more answers than my little brain can absorb at once-
    > but I save them, and hopefully they will sink in eventually!
    >> However, the next best thing is to right click on the Taskbar, unlock it,
    >> right click again and choose Toolbars/Desktop. Then lock the Taskbar
    >> again. Now when you click on the Desktop chevron that now appears on your
    >> Taskbar you can choose any program, folder, or file on the desktop.
    >> Choosing your shortcut is the same as doubleclicking it on the desktop.
    >>
    >> --
    >> "Colin Barnhorst" <colinbarharst(nojunk)@msn.com> wrote in message
    >>> Good point.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> "LVTravel" <trash@dd.com> wrote in message

    Hi, Happy;
    I've done this by dragging shortcuts to the pinned area and dropping them
    there.
    Regards,
    Ian.

    "Happy" wrote:

    > Perfect. I have now done this, and it will speed things up for the word &
    > excel files that I use regularly. Is there a way to "pin" it to the top of
    > the right hand side of the start menu?

Windows XP