Stoping outgoing access

Hello!

I'm on a private network behind a firewall. On this network everyone is
allowed to access each others computers/disks

I'm a bit concerned about getting some virus that accesses the internet
from my computer and I would like to have a firewall that only controls
outgoing access

Is there such a creature?

// Anders

--
English isn't my first, or second, language.
So anything rude or strange are due to the translation

"Anders Eriksson" <andis59@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello!
>
> I'm on a private network behind a firewall. On this network everyone is
> allowed to access each others computers/disks
>
> I'm a bit concerned about getting some virus that accesses the internet
> from my computer and I would like to have a firewall that only controls
> outgoing access
>
> Is there such a creature?
>
> // Anders

Pretty much any firewall device will allow you to configure just
what can come in, and just what can go out (XP's builtin firewall
being one noteable exception).
You can also set IPsec policies on the machine(s) that state
what is allowed to go from the machine(s)

Most of your SOHO level firewalls from Netscreen, Sonicwall can do such. You
need a device that will start with a default block all rule for outbound and
then you can define the authorized exceptions. I have found that some of the
devices from Dlink, Netgear, etc may be able to do much of the same but be
sure that you read the online documentation for the devices first to make
sure they meet your needs. The Netscreen, Sonicwall devices are usually
limited to the amount of computers on your network that can access the
internet at the same time with base models starting with 10 or 25
connections though unlimited models are also available for more money. A lot
depends on your budget. Ebay has great buys on firewalls if you don't mind
an older model. The link below is for an Ebay search of Sonicwall. ---
Steve

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?from=R40&satitle=sonicwall

"Anders Eriksson" <andis59@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello!
>
> I'm on a private network behind a firewall. On this network everyone is
> allowed to access each others computers/disks
>
> I'm a bit concerned about getting some virus that accesses the internet
> from my computer and I would like to have a firewall that only controls
> outgoing access
>
> Is there such a creature?
>
> // Anders
>
> --
> English isn't my first, or second, language.
> So anything rude or strange are due to the translation

Barry

"Anders Eriksson" <andis59@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello!
>
> I'm on a private network behind a firewall. On this network everyone is
> allowed to access each others computers/disks
>
> I'm a bit concerned about getting some virus that accesses the internet
> from my computer and I would like to have a firewall that only controls
> outgoing access
>
> Is there such a creature?
>
> // Anders
>
> --
> English isn't my first, or second, language.
> So anything rude or strange are due to the translation

try 'zone alarm'