burn-e86

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
I currently have 2 routers, a wired linksys BEFSR81 that is directly connected to the WAN and connected to that is my buffalo WYR-G54. I currently share a number of my folders on my WYR. I want to share my files onto the entire network. the way i've got it setup is by having the WYR in the DMZ and my PC in the DMZ of my WYR. can anybody tell me if it is possible transfer across the network and routers.

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
If you want to flatten your network so that all of the computers can talk to eachother just disable the DHCP server in the WYR, change its IP address to one accessible by the linksys IP scheme (192.168.1.x, I'd use 192.168.1.2), and connect one of the switch ports from the BEFSR81 to a switch port on the WYR. That would essencially make the WYR just a switch + accesspoint. It would no longer use any of its router functionality.
I do this all the time. In some cases it is much cheaper to get a full home router than just an accesspoint. I'll just disable the dhcp server in the router and use one of its switch ports as an uplink. Bam, instant plain accesspoint.