Win2000 book?

Any recommendations for good Win2000 book for new home
office user?

"JohnD" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Any recommendations for good Win2000 book for new home
> office user?

Difficult question to answer. This would depend on your needs and which W2K
OS you have.
Are you looking for info on the client or server? Book or no book,
experience is what counts. Its my belief that NT4 and DNS is a requirement
in order to understand W2K and its network architecture.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/books/default.asp

You'll also find an abundance of resources out here on every conceivable
subject specific to W2K. Including WhitePapers.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windows2000pro/default.mspx
http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/howitworks/
http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/technologies/directory/ad/default.asp

Thanks for suggestions. I'm going to be putting a single
Win2K Pro OS on home PC. No network. Just personal and
business apps, net, etc. I've been a Win98SE guy and I
know there's several things different I need to know.
There's the Que books, SAMS, Dummies etc, and was
wondering if any one of them is better than another to a
non-pro for reference and initial config purposes.

> Thanks for suggestions. I'm going to be putting a single
> Win2K Pro OS on home PC. No network. Just personal and
> business apps, net, etc. I've been a Win98SE guy and I
> know there's several things different I need to know.
> There's the Que books, SAMS, Dummies etc, and was
> wondering if any one of them is better than another to a
> non-pro for reference and initial config purposes.

I'm not in a position to recommend one or the other of the publishers you've
mentioned. Personally, i don't particularly like any of them. Other than an
MSPress publications, i'ld probably mention Sybex because of the high
quality of their material:
http://www.sybex.com/sybexbooks.nsf/0/d1507b55b3339d4c88256bca00626e19

There are too many poor books out there. Its just not economicly sound to
buy a how-it-works manual when you can get a book that deals with the whole
picture.

For a basic subject on how to install W2K Pro try:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/professional/howtobuy/upgrading/default
..asp