XP freezing up after slave drive installed

I installed my old drive as a slave drive. BIOS recognizes it, but when I
try to start up XP it freezes at the desktop.

The only way to get it to work is to take the old drive off the IDE
controller. I have checked the jumper settings etc and can't figure out
what I am doing wrong.

The old drive had WIN ME on it and was freezing at the WIN ME startup screen
and had a low memory error one morning where I couldn't get it to boot up
anymore . it was just about full in capacity.

Any suggestions and any help appreciated
Thanks
5 answers Last reply
More about freezing slave drive installed

    Can you boot all the way into safe mode or does that freeze up too? If you
    can, copy the files you want from the old drive to the new one and then
    format the old drive. The drive may be defective, of course, and may still
    cause problems. I would run the manufacturer's disk diagnostics on it once
    you have your stuff off of it. Then deal with it according to the test
    result.

    "chris" <cachasenh@comcast.net> wrote in message
    >I installed my old drive as a slave drive. BIOS recognizes it, but when I
    >try to start up XP it freezes at the desktop.
    >
    > The only way to get it to work is to take the old drive off the IDE
    > controller. I have checked the jumper settings etc and can't figure out
    > what I am doing wrong.
    >
    > The old drive had WIN ME on it and was freezing at the WIN ME startup
    > screen and had a low memory error one morning where I couldn't get it to
    > boot up anymore . it was just about full in capacity.
    >
    > Any suggestions and any help appreciated
    > Thanks

    I can't even get into safe mode with it. It just sits there and seems like
    its trying to spin starts up and then does nothing. The old drive had a low
    memory and when I tried to reboot it it never came back. Goes to the Win Me
    screen if I use just the old drive. So does that mean it still has all the
    data on it at least?

    Drives don't have memory. If you got a low memory warning it was about the
    ram or the pagefile. I understand you to mean the drive was running out of
    space.

    Find an external drive enclosure (inexpensive on eBay) and mount the drive
    in it with the jumper set to slave or cable select. Attach to a usb port.
    (How responsive the drive will be depends on whether or not you have usb2
    ports or only usb 1.1, but for this emergency, either will work.) If the
    drive is OK you will see the balloon messages as the system detects and then
    configures the system to use it. It should show up in My Computer and from
    there you should be able to do whatever you want with it. When you are
    ready to prepare it for use as an internal drive again, format it so that it
    does not cause problems when you switch it back.

    If the system won't mount the drive and you cannot access it with the disk
    manager then something happened when you moved the drive and it may not be
    recoverable.

    >I can't even get into safe mode with it. It just sits there and seems like
    >its trying to spin starts up and then does nothing. The old drive had a
    >low memory and when I tried to reboot it it never came back. Goes to the
    >Win Me screen if I use just the old drive. So does that mean it still has
    >all the data on it at least?

    thanks so much, I will try and do what you said here and hope that it can
    help.

    You're welcome.

    > thanks so much, I will try and do what you said here and hope that it
    > can help.

Slave Drive Windows XP