deleting win2000 operating system

Mike

Splendid

I currently have win2000 installed on my computer but wish
to completely delete the operating system and any
associated files and reinstall win98 since some of the
programs I wish to run are not compatible with win2K.
I have the full version of win98 + the startup floppy.
How do I do this? I don't want to create a partition I
just want to completely delete win2K from the computer.

mike

From the "Run" box
regsvr32 %windir%\AppPatch\slayerui.dll
to enable application compatibility mode.

To wipe the drive, some ways include; boot a win98/ME startup disk, run
fdisk and delete all partition information found (as long as NTFS is
primary). Or boot the Windows 2000 CD-Rom or setup disks and when you get to
the point, delete the existing NTFS and or other partitions found, then
abort the install. Or use a utility named delpart. Once removed you can boot
the Win98/ME CD-Rom or restore CD-Rom to start your install. Make sure you
have win9x device drivers available before hand.

ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/bussys/winnt/winnt-public/reskit/nt31/i386/reskit.exe

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"mike" wrote:
| I currently have win2000 installed on my computer but wish
| to completely delete the operating system and any
| associated files and reinstall win98 since some of the
| programs I wish to run are not compatible with win2K.
| I have the full version of win98 + the startup floppy.
| How do I do this? I don't want to create a partition I
| just want to completely delete win2K from the computer.
|

| mike

Mike

Splendid

newsgroup.
>Microsoft Certified Professional
>Microsoft MVP [Windows]
>http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>

>"mike" wrote:
>| I currently have win2000 installed on my computer but
wish
>| to completely delete the operating system and any
>| associated files and reinstall win98 since some of the
>| programs I wish to run are not compatible with win2K.
>| I have the full version of win98 + the startup floppy.
>| How do I do this? I don't want to create a partition I
>| just want to completely delete win2K from the computer.
>|

>| mike
>

>.
>Eventhough I ran format c: using the win98 startup
floppy - the computer still seems to keep its ntfs file
system. Whatever option I choose using fdisk I can't seem
to completely wipe the hard drive clean. Using the win2K
cd to boot I'm not given any option to format. Only to
install or repair. Neither of these give me a delete
partition option.

mike

You can't format an NTFS partition using Win98 You'll need to delete the
partition by using one of the methods I mentioned. If you use the Windows
2000 CD-Rom you'll need to start setup to be given the option.

--

"mike" wrote:
| >Eventhough I ran format c: using the win98 startup
| floppy - the computer still seems to keep its ntfs file
| system. Whatever option I choose using fdisk I can't seem
| to completely wipe the hard drive clean. Using the win2K
| cd to boot I'm not given any option to format. Only to
| install or repair. Neither of these give me a delete
| partition option.
|
| mike

Mike,

The way you get to delete a partition with the Win2k setup disk, Setup will
tell you that you have an existing instance of win2k and ask whether you
want to correct it or install a new instance. Either before or after that
choice, you'll be asked something like whether you want to customize your
installation. Select that. Then somewhere along the line you'll be give a
choice of which partition should be used to house your new instance.
Additional choices allow you to select a partition and either delete it or
format it. That's the place that'll let you delete your NTFS partition.

To subsequently install Win98, you should use the boot floppy that came
with your CD. Boot with that floppy to get DOS running so that you'll be
able to invoke Win98 from your CD drive.

At least, that's my recollection.

HTH,
Richard