The shell stopped unexpectedly and explorer.exe was restar..

Very recently one of my PCs running W2K cannot run Windows Explorer or
Internet Explorer.

Every time I try running them (or anything that requires one of them) the
task bar and icons disappear and reappear, but Explorer doesn't start. The
Event Viewer shows Event ID 2002: The shell stopped unexpectedly and
explorer.exe was restarted. (Source Winlogon).

I have all the latest everything, no viruses, no spyware, nothing in the
Startup folder, nothing out of the ordinary in the "Run" registry entries.
I have tried everything, even replacing explorer.exe and winlogon.exe, but
still nothing. I tried creating a new, admin level user, but that didn't
work.

If anyone has any ideas, I'd appreciate hearing it. I'm stumped.

Thanks.

Neil W wrote:

> Very recently one of my PCs running W2K cannot run Windows Explorer or
> Internet Explorer.
>
> Every time I try running them (or anything that requires one of them) the
> task bar and icons disappear and reappear, but Explorer doesn't start. The
> Event Viewer shows Event ID 2002: The shell stopped unexpectedly and
> explorer.exe was restarted. (Source Winlogon).
>
> I have all the latest everything, no viruses, no spyware, nothing in the
> Startup folder, nothing out of the ordinary in the "Run" registry entries.
> I have tried everything, even replacing explorer.exe and winlogon.exe, but
> still nothing. I tried creating a new, admin level user, but that didn't
> work.
>
> If anyone has any ideas, I'd appreciate hearing it. I'm stumped.
>
> Thanks.

This error does not happen very often and there is usually
a cause, either hardware or software. Was anything done to
the computer just prior to its onset? Had the computer been
attacked/hacked, even though subsequently cleaned up? Signs
of hard drive corruption? Any unattended stops/re-starts?