Windows XP install repartitioning

I have a single hard drive that is partitioned into 3
drives. I want to be able to combine 2 of the partitions
and keep the existing 3rd partition and its files. Is it
possible when installing Windows XP to repartition the
drive to combine two consectutive partitions and leave
the third partition alone so that the files on the third
partition remain untouched.

I need to combine the two partitions to get enough space
for the Windows XP install because my current C: drive
partition is too small. The machine currently has Windows
2000 installed.

GWhizz wrote:

> I have a single hard drive that is partitioned into 3
> drives. I want to be able to combine 2 of the partitions
> and keep the existing 3rd partition and its files. Is it
> possible when installing Windows XP to repartition the
> drive to combine two consectutive partitions and leave
> the third partition alone so that the files on the third
> partition remain untouched.
>
> I need to combine the two partitions to get enough space
> for the Windows XP install because my current C: drive
> partition is too small. The machine currently has Windows
> 2000 installed.

Re-partitioning in this manner will not be successful. The
better alternative would be to make an image file of the third
partition and restore its contents to the new second partition
after installing Windows XP. If the third partition contains
only data and information files, then make 2 backup sets, one
compressed while the other is uncompressed, and these files can
be copied to the new second partition.

dl

what size is yr C drive? If its big enough for Win2k should be OK for winxp,
unless perhaps yr doing an upgrade and not clean install.