Starting Windows 2000 hangs on new install.

I've just installed Windows 2000 onto a new machine and it
hangs indefinitely when the 'Starting Windows' progress bar
completes. No error messages or re-boots - it just hangs.
Machine spec:
AMD XP2400 processor,
Gigabyte GA-7VRXP m/board,
2 x 256 Mb DDR PC2700 RAM,
330w PSU,
Seagate 60 Gb HDD.
The m/board, memory and HDD have been swapped-out with no
change in result. The system can boot into DOS, from either
floppy or HD fine.
I think I might have seen similar problems reported before,
but don't recall seeing any solution.
Please help.
Regards,
Kevin.
21 answers Last reply
More about starting windows 2000 hangs install

    Tried installing to min sys, Monitor, KeyB, mouse,cd - no cards, extra
    hardware
    and or with a single DDR?

    "Kevin Lawton" <kepla@btinternet.com> wrote in message
    > I've just installed Windows 2000 onto a new machine and it
    > hangs indefinitely when the 'Starting Windows' progress bar
    > completes. No error messages or re-boots - it just hangs.
    > Machine spec:
    > AMD XP2400 processor,
    > Gigabyte GA-7VRXP m/board,
    > 2 x 256 Mb DDR PC2700 RAM,
    > 330w PSU,
    > Seagate 60 Gb HDD.
    > The m/board, memory and HDD have been swapped-out with no
    > change in result. The system can boot into DOS, from either
    > floppy or HD fine.
    > I think I might have seen similar problems reported before,
    > but don't recall seeing any solution.
    > Please help.
    > Regards,
    > Kevin.

    I'm on about as mininal as the system can go anyway, the only card being the
    Matrix G400 graphics card.
    I've tried swapping every system component individually for a replacement -
    except for the processor (expensive !). The same result every time - the
    system hangs when the 'Starting Windows' progress bar completes. With a
    fresh install, this is as far as I can get - the install hasn't completed
    sufficiently to give me any 'recovery' options.
    I did try swapping out the XP2400 processor for an old Duron 650 - and it
    worked fine ! Problem with that is that the Duron 650 doesn't give enough
    performance for the video editing I'm planning to do.
    After the system was fully working with the Duron 650 I went back to the
    XP2400 and the problem re-emerged just the same. I also tried installing
    Windows Me and that runs on the XP2400 fine, so I'm not inclined to blame
    the processor.
    Could there be something which Windows 2000 is doing with the XP2400 which
    doesn't happen with a different processor or op system ?
    I'm really confused with this - any help gratefully appreciated.
    Kevin.

    DL <dl@spoofmail.com> wrote:
    | Tried installing to min sys, Monitor, KeyB, mouse,cd - no cards, extra
    | hardware
    | and or with a single DDR?
    |
    | "Kevin Lawton" <kepla@btinternet.com> wrote in message
    || I've just installed Windows 2000 onto a new machine and it
    || hangs indefinitely when the 'Starting Windows' progress bar
    || completes. No error messages or re-boots - it just hangs.
    || Machine spec:
    || AMD XP2400 processor,
    || Gigabyte GA-7VRXP m/board,
    || 2 x 256 Mb DDR PC2700 RAM,
    || 330w PSU,
    || Seagate 60 Gb HDD.
    || The m/board, memory and HDD have been swapped-out with no
    || change in result. The system can boot into DOS, from either
    || floppy or HD fine.
    || I think I might have seen similar problems reported before,
    || but don't recall seeing any solution.
    || Please help.
    || Regards,
    || Kevin.

    If I understand correctly;
    Using Duran, win2k installed and booted correctly
    With XP2400 it wouldnt boot ( Win98 is I believe slightly more hardware
    'fault' tolerant)
    If this is the case might suggest a mobo setting, with this cpu, or possibly
    bios update required.
    What is the mobo?

    > I'm on about as mininal as the system can go anyway, the only card being
    the
    > Matrix G400 graphics card.
    > I've tried swapping every system component individually for a
    replacement -
    > except for the processor (expensive !). The same result every time - the
    > system hangs when the 'Starting Windows' progress bar completes. With a
    > fresh install, this is as far as I can get - the install hasn't completed
    > sufficiently to give me any 'recovery' options.
    > I did try swapping out the XP2400 processor for an old Duron 650 - and it
    > worked fine ! Problem with that is that the Duron 650 doesn't give enough
    > performance for the video editing I'm planning to do.
    > After the system was fully working with the Duron 650 I went back to the
    > XP2400 and the problem re-emerged just the same. I also tried installing
    > Windows Me and that runs on the XP2400 fine, so I'm not inclined to blame
    > the processor.
    > Could there be something which Windows 2000 is doing with the XP2400 which
    > doesn't happen with a different processor or op system ?
    > I'm really confused with this - any help gratefully appreciated.
    > Kevin.
    >
    > DL <dl@spoofmail.com> wrote:
    > | Tried installing to min sys, Monitor, KeyB, mouse,cd - no cards, extra
    > | hardware
    > | and or with a single DDR?
    > |
    > | "Kevin Lawton" <kepla@btinternet.com> wrote in message
    > || I've just installed Windows 2000 onto a new machine and it
    > || hangs indefinitely when the 'Starting Windows' progress bar
    > || completes. No error messages or re-boots - it just hangs.
    > || Machine spec:
    > || AMD XP2400 processor,
    > || Gigabyte GA-7VRXP m/board,
    > || 2 x 256 Mb DDR PC2700 RAM,
    > || 330w PSU,
    > || Seagate 60 Gb HDD.
    > || The m/board, memory and HDD have been swapped-out with no
    > || change in result. The system can boot into DOS, from either
    > || floppy or HD fine.
    > || I think I might have seen similar problems reported before,
    > || but don't recall seeing any solution.
    > || Please help.
    > || Regards,
    > || Kevin.

    Sorry- I though that was known. The motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-7VRXP (I
    have tried two samples) Rev1.1, as staed in my original post which is still
    at the foot of this thread. Originally I left the m/board switches for FSB
    and multiplier in the 'auto' setting, as was the memory bus clock. Since
    then I've tried slowing things down from 133 MHz to 100 MHz on the FSB
    (effectively 266 -> 200 due to DDR), and from 166 MHz to 133 MHz then 100
    MHz on the memory bus clock (DDR = 333 -> 266 -> 200). Same result every
    time - problem persists.
    M/board BIOS is 'F12', which is the latest on the Gigabyte web site.
    Not too sure what else I can adjust without doing damage.
    Kevin.

    DL <dl@spoofmail.com> wrote:
    | If I understand correctly;
    | Using Duran, win2k installed and booted correctly
    | With XP2400 it wouldnt boot ( Win98 is I believe slightly more
    | hardware 'fault' tolerant)
    | If this is the case might suggest a mobo setting, with this cpu, or
    | possibly bios update required.
    | What is the mobo?
    |
    | "Kevin Lawton" <kepla@btinternet.com> wrote in message
    || I'm on about as mininal as the system can go anyway, the only card
    || being the Matrix G400 graphics card.
    || I've tried swapping every system component individually for a
    | replacement -
    || except for the processor (expensive !). The same result every time -
    || the system hangs when the 'Starting Windows' progress bar completes.
    || With a fresh install, this is as far as I can get - the install
    || hasn't completed sufficiently to give me any 'recovery' options.
    || I did try swapping out the XP2400 processor for an old Duron 650 -
    || and it worked fine ! Problem with that is that the Duron 650
    || doesn't give enough performance for the video editing I'm planning
    || to do.
    || After the system was fully working with the Duron 650 I went back to
    || the XP2400 and the problem re-emerged just the same. I also tried
    || installing Windows Me and that runs on the XP2400 fine, so I'm not
    || inclined to blame the processor.
    || Could there be something which Windows 2000 is doing with the XP2400
    || which doesn't happen with a different processor or op system ?
    || I'm really confused with this - any help gratefully appreciated.
    || Kevin.
    || DL <dl@spoofmail.com> wrote:
    ||| Tried installing to min sys, Monitor, KeyB, mouse,cd - no cards,
    ||| extra hardware
    ||| and or with a single DDR?
    ||| "Kevin Lawton" <kepla@btinternet.com> wrote in message

    Sorry missed the line about mobo;
    With mobo switches on auto, Boots/Runs OK with Duran. - yes?
    Matrox drivers installed for win2k? - yes?
    Change the cpu, restart, enter the bios and check settings, eg cpu.
    If OK reboot from win2k installation disk ( you may have to enable boot
    from cd in bios) and repair.
    Other than that you appear to have covered everything.
    Good luck

    > Sorry- I though that was known. The motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-7VRXP (I
    > have tried two samples) Rev1.1, as staed in my original post which is
    still
    > at the foot of this thread. Originally I left the m/board switches for FSB
    > and multiplier in the 'auto' setting, as was the memory bus clock. Since
    > then I've tried slowing things down from 133 MHz to 100 MHz on the FSB
    > (effectively 266 -> 200 due to DDR), and from 166 MHz to 133 MHz then 100
    > MHz on the memory bus clock (DDR = 333 -> 266 -> 200). Same result every
    > time - problem persists.
    > M/board BIOS is 'F12', which is the latest on the Gigabyte web site.
    > Not too sure what else I can adjust without doing damage.
    > Kevin.
    >
    > DL <dl@spoofmail.com> wrote:
    > | If I understand correctly;
    > | Using Duran, win2k installed and booted correctly
    > | With XP2400 it wouldnt boot ( Win98 is I believe slightly more
    > | hardware 'fault' tolerant)
    > | If this is the case might suggest a mobo setting, with this cpu, or
    > | possibly bios update required.
    > | What is the mobo?
    > |
    > | "Kevin Lawton" <kepla@btinternet.com> wrote in message
    > || I'm on about as mininal as the system can go anyway, the only card
    > || being the Matrix G400 graphics card.
    > || I've tried swapping every system component individually for a
    > | replacement -
    > || except for the processor (expensive !). The same result every time -
    > || the system hangs when the 'Starting Windows' progress bar completes.
    > || With a fresh install, this is as far as I can get - the install
    > || hasn't completed sufficiently to give me any 'recovery' options.
    > || I did try swapping out the XP2400 processor for an old Duron 650 -
    > || and it worked fine ! Problem with that is that the Duron 650
    > || doesn't give enough performance for the video editing I'm planning
    > || to do.
    > || After the system was fully working with the Duron 650 I went back to
    > || the XP2400 and the problem re-emerged just the same. I also tried
    > || installing Windows Me and that runs on the XP2400 fine, so I'm not
    > || inclined to blame the processor.
    > || Could there be something which Windows 2000 is doing with the XP2400
    > || which doesn't happen with a different processor or op system ?
    > || I'm really confused with this - any help gratefully appreciated.
    > || Kevin.

  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    DL <> wrote:
    | Sorry missed the line about mobo;
    No worries, mate, it was early on in the thread. ;-)
    | With mobo switches on auto, Boots/Runs OK with Duran. - yes?
    Oh yes, yes, yes. I can even play around with the FSB and multiplier
    switches and overclock the Duron 650 up to 897 MHz and it still works fine.
    Solid processor, that Duron.
    | Matrox drivers installed for win2k? - yes?
    Well, no they weren't. Matrox cards do the standard VESA modes properly so
    they are fine with Windows 'generic VGA card' drivers. I have now tried
    installing the latest Matrox drivers and guess what ? - no change.
    | Change the cpu, restart, enter the bios and check settings, eg cpu.
    I've tried this, with the settings on auto and with the settings forcing the
    correct FSB and multiplier. I've even tried underclocking the XP2400 a bit.
    Still no change - works fine in Windows Me and hangs at Windows 2000
    startup.
    | If OK reboot from win2k installation disk ( you may have to enable
    | boot from cd in bios) and repair.
    Tried this and of course the repair installation hangs after the 'Starting
    Windows' progress bar again. Had to swap back to the Duron 650 to get that
    to finish again.
    | Other than that you appear to have covered everything.
    That's what I thought, but there is still a problem. The way things are
    going I might be better off using this PC as landfill and 'cover everything'
    with concrete !
    | Good luck
    I think I need more than luck - I need a miracle. At least, I could do with
    some decent diagnostics out of Windows 2000. I don't really want to have to
    spend the rest of my life trying to edit video on a Duron 650.
    Thanks for the help.
    Kevin.

    | "Kevin Lawton" <> wrote in message
    || Sorry- I though that was known. The motherboard is a Gigabyte
    || GA-7VRXP (I have tried two samples) Rev1.1, as staed in my original
    || post which is still at the foot of this thread. Originally I left
    || the m/board switches for FSB and multiplier in the 'auto' setting,
    || as was the memory bus clock. Since then I've tried slowing things
    || down from 133 MHz to 100 MHz on the FSB (effectively 266 -> 200 due
    || to DDR), and from 166 MHz to 133 MHz then 100 MHz on the memory bus
    || clock (DDR = 333 -> 266 -> 200). Same result every time - problem
    || persists.
    || M/board BIOS is 'F12', which is the latest on the Gigabyte web site.
    || Not too sure what else I can adjust without doing damage.
    || Kevin.
    || DL <> wrote:
    ||| If I understand correctly;
    ||| Using Duran, win2k installed and booted correctly
    ||| With XP2400 it wouldnt boot ( Win98 is I believe slightly more
    ||| hardware 'fault' tolerant)
    ||| If this is the case might suggest a mobo setting, with this cpu, or
    ||| possibly bios update required.
    ||| What is the mobo?
    ||| "Kevin Lawton" <kepla@btinternet.com> wrote in message
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    I've changed mobo's and cpu's on many Win2K setups the only one I had
    trouble with was a1.3Duron, and that was an heat problem, even using OTT
    coolers - never got to the bottom of it!!

    When I mentioned entering the bios I meant was the new cpu being correctly
    identified

    > DL <> wrote:
    > | Sorry missed the line about mobo;
    > No worries, mate, it was early on in the thread. ;-)
    > | With mobo switches on auto, Boots/Runs OK with Duran. - yes?
    > Oh yes, yes, yes. I can even play around with the FSB and multiplier
    > switches and overclock the Duron 650 up to 897 MHz and it still works
    fine.
    > Solid processor, that Duron.
    > | Matrox drivers installed for win2k? - yes?
    > Well, no they weren't. Matrox cards do the standard VESA modes properly so
    > they are fine with Windows 'generic VGA card' drivers. I have now tried
    > installing the latest Matrox drivers and guess what ? - no change.
    > | Change the cpu, restart, enter the bios and check settings, eg cpu.
    > I've tried this, with the settings on auto and with the settings forcing
    the
    > correct FSB and multiplier. I've even tried underclocking the XP2400 a
    bit.
    > Still no change - works fine in Windows Me and hangs at Windows 2000
    > startup.
    > | If OK reboot from win2k installation disk ( you may have to enable
    > | boot from cd in bios) and repair.
    > Tried this and of course the repair installation hangs after the 'Starting
    > Windows' progress bar again. Had to swap back to the Duron 650 to get that
    > to finish again.
    > | Other than that you appear to have covered everything.
    > That's what I thought, but there is still a problem. The way things are
    > going I might be better off using this PC as landfill and 'cover
    everything'
    > with concrete !
    > | Good luck
    > I think I need more than luck - I need a miracle. At least, I could do
    with
    > some decent diagnostics out of Windows 2000. I don't really want to have
    > spend the rest of my life trying to edit video on a Duron 650.
    > Thanks for the help.
    > Kevin.
    >
    > | "Kevin Lawton" <> wrote in message
    > || Sorry- I though that was known. The motherboard is a Gigabyte
    > || GA-7VRXP (I have tried two samples) Rev1.1, as staed in my original
    > || post which is still at the foot of this thread. Originally I left
    > || the m/board switches for FSB and multiplier in the 'auto' setting,
    > || as was the memory bus clock. Since then I've tried slowing things
    > || down from 133 MHz to 100 MHz on the FSB (effectively 266 -> 200 due
    > || to DDR), and from 166 MHz to 133 MHz then 100 MHz on the memory bus
    > || clock (DDR = 333 -> 266 -> 200). Same result every time - problem
    > || persists.
    > || M/board BIOS is 'F12', which is the latest on the Gigabyte web site.
    > || Not too sure what else I can adjust without doing damage.
    > || Kevin.

  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    DL <> wrote:
    | I've changed mobo's and cpu's on many Win2K setups the only one I had
    | trouble with was a1.3Duron, and that was an heat problem, even using
    | OTT coolers - never got to the bottom of it!!
    |
    | When I mentioned entering the bios I meant was the new cpu being
    | correctly identified

    Yes - the BIOS identifies both the Duron 650 and the XP2400 correctly. In
    the Windows Me installation which works with either processor (I swap HDs) I
    have a few utilities which can run system identification and benchmarking -
    everything shows up correctly with all of them. What I don't have is any
    software to fully test out a CPU. I can identify it, burn it in and
    benchmark it - but not fully test it, the whole works - all instructions,
    caches, pipelines, everything. I think that this would have to be my next
    step short of actually buying another XP2400 (ouch - my poor wallet). I
    guess there isn't a special way you have to install Windows 2000 on an XP
    processor because of the SSE instructions, is there ?
    TIA
    Kevin.

    | "Kevin Lawton" <> wrote in message
    || DL <> wrote:
    ||| Sorry missed the line about mobo;
    || No worries, mate, it was early on in the thread. ;-)
    ||| With mobo switches on auto, Boots/Runs OK with Duran. - yes?
    || Oh yes, yes, yes. I can even play around with the FSB and multiplier
    || switches and overclock the Duron 650 up to 897 MHz and it still
    || works fine. Solid processor, that Duron.
    ||| Matrox drivers installed for win2k? - yes?
    || Well, no they weren't. Matrox cards do the standard VESA modes
    || properly so they are fine with Windows 'generic VGA card' drivers. I
    || have now tried installing the latest Matrox drivers and guess what ?
    || - no change.
    ||| Change the cpu, restart, enter the bios and check settings, eg cpu.
    || I've tried this, with the settings on auto and with the settings
    || forcing the correct FSB and multiplier. I've even tried
    || underclocking the XP2400 a bit. Still no change - works fine in
    || Windows Me and hangs at Windows 2000 startup.
    ||| If OK reboot from win2k installation disk ( you may have to enable
    ||| boot from cd in bios) and repair.
    || Tried this and of course the repair installation hangs after the
    || 'Starting Windows' progress bar again. Had to swap back to the Duron
    || 650 to get that to finish again.
    ||| Other than that you appear to have covered everything.
    || That's what I thought, but there is still a problem. The way things
    || are going I might be better off using this PC as landfill and 'cover
    || everything' with concrete !
    ||| Good luck
    || I think I need more than luck - I need a miracle. At least, I could
    || do with some decent diagnostics out of Windows 2000. I don't really
    || want to have to spend the rest of my life trying to edit video on a
    || Duron 650.
    || Thanks for the help.
    || Kevin.
    ||| "Kevin Lawton" <> wrote in message
  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    Nothing special as far as I'm aware, I only had the problem with one AMD
    cpu, never cured it and I did swap it for another identical cpu, gave up,
    upgraded mobo and cpu.
    There have been reports of the occasional problems with various hardware and
    AMD, though this was some years ago, where seemingly with identical hardware
    one would have a conflict and the other wouldnt.
    I got into some deep conversations with BT and AMD over this issue.

    > DL <> wrote:
    > | I've changed mobo's and cpu's on many Win2K setups the only one I had
    > | trouble with was a1.3Duron, and that was an heat problem, even using
    > | OTT coolers - never got to the bottom of it!!
    > |
    > | When I mentioned entering the bios I meant was the new cpu being
    > | correctly identified
    >
    > Yes - the BIOS identifies both the Duron 650 and the XP2400 correctly. In
    > the Windows Me installation which works with either processor (I swap HDs)
    > have a few utilities which can run system identification and
    benchmarking -
    > everything shows up correctly with all of them. What I don't have is any
    > software to fully test out a CPU. I can identify it, burn it in and
    > benchmark it - but not fully test it, the whole works - all instructions,
    > caches, pipelines, everything. I think that this would have to be my next
    > step short of actually buying another XP2400 (ouch - my poor wallet). I
    > guess there isn't a special way you have to install Windows 2000 on an XP
    > processor because of the SSE instructions, is there ?
    > TIA
    > Kevin.
    >
    > | "Kevin Lawton" <> wrote in message
    > || No worries, mate, it was early on in the thread. ;-)
    > || Oh yes, yes, yes. I can even play around with the FSB and multiplier
    > || switches and overclock the Duron 650 up to 897 MHz and it still
    > || works fine. Solid processor, that Duron.
    > || Well, no they weren't. Matrox cards do the standard VESA modes
    > || properly so they are fine with Windows 'generic VGA card' drivers. I
    > || have now tried installing the latest Matrox drivers and guess what ?
    > || - no change.
    > || I've tried this, with the settings on auto and with the settings
    > || forcing the correct FSB and multiplier. I've even tried
    > || underclocking the XP2400 a bit. Still no change - works fine in
    > || Windows Me and hangs at Windows 2000 startup.
    > || Tried this and of course the repair installation hangs after the
    > || 'Starting Windows' progress bar again. Had to swap back to the Duron
    > || 650 to get that to finish again.
    > || That's what I thought, but there is still a problem. The way things
    > || are going I might be better off using this PC as landfill and 'cover
    > || everything' with concrete !
    > || I think I need more than luck - I need a miracle. At least, I could
    > || do with some decent diagnostics out of Windows 2000. I don't really
    > || want to have to spend the rest of my life trying to edit video on a
    > || Duron 650.
    > || Thanks for the help.
    > || Kevin.

  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    DL <> wrote:
    | Nothing special as far as I'm aware, I only had the problem with one
    | AMD cpu, never cured it and I did swap it for another identical cpu,
    | gave up, upgraded mobo and cpu.
    | There have been reports of the occasional problems with various
    | hardware and AMD, though this was some years ago, where seemingly
    | with identical hardware one would have a conflict and the other
    | wouldnt.
    | I got into some deep conversations with BT and AMD over this issue.

    BT ? - who are they ?
    I would really like for MS to be involved. After all, it is Windows 2000
    which is going wrong and failing to provide an error message.
    I'll certainly have words with AMD support, who I expect will refer me to
    Gigabyte, who in turn will either ignore me or refer me elsewhere.
    The question is: if I were to go out and buy another GA-7VRXP m/board, AMD
    XP2400 processor, and a fresh shrink-wrapped copy of Windows 2000 would it
    all work ?
    Kevin.

    | "Kevin Lawton" <> wrote in message
    || DL <> wrote:
    ||| I've changed mobo's and cpu's on many Win2K setups the only one I
    ||| had trouble with was a1.3Duron, and that was an heat problem, even
    ||| using OTT coolers - never got to the bottom of it!!
    ||| When I mentioned entering the bios I meant was the new cpu being
    ||| correctly identified
    || Yes - the BIOS identifies both the Duron 650 and the XP2400
    || correctly. In the Windows Me installation which works with either
    || processor (I swap HDs) I have a few utilities which can run system
    || identification and
    | benchmarking -
    || everything shows up correctly with all of them. What I don't have is
    || any software to fully test out a CPU. I can identify it, burn it in
    || and benchmark it - but not fully test it, the whole works - all
    || instructions, caches, pipelines, everything. I think that this would
    || have to be my next step short of actually buying another XP2400
    || (ouch - my poor wallet). I guess there isn't a special way you have
    || to install Windows 2000 on an XP processor because of the SSE
    || instructions, is there ?
    || TIA
    || Kevin.
    ||| "Kevin Lawton" <> wrote in message
  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    BT? - your ISP is BT
    I spoke with them because I was able to identify the initial problem as been
    with their hardware.
    The problem is that you have at least three pieces of kit, any of which
    could be the problem, though its more likely to be hardware than software.
    If you recently purchased mobo or cpu are you able to exchange ?

    > DL <> wrote:
    > | Nothing special as far as I'm aware, I only had the problem with one
    > | AMD cpu, never cured it and I did swap it for another identical cpu,
    > | gave up, upgraded mobo and cpu.
    > | There have been reports of the occasional problems with various
    > | hardware and AMD, though this was some years ago, where seemingly
    > | with identical hardware one would have a conflict and the other
    > | wouldnt.
    > | I got into some deep conversations with BT and AMD over this issue.
    >
    > BT ? - who are they ?
    > I would really like for MS to be involved. After all, it is Windows 2000
    > which is going wrong and failing to provide an error message.
    > I'll certainly have words with AMD support, who I expect will refer me to
    > Gigabyte, who in turn will either ignore me or refer me elsewhere.
    > The question is: if I were to go out and buy another GA-7VRXP m/board, AMD
    > XP2400 processor, and a fresh shrink-wrapped copy of Windows 2000 would it
    > all work ?
    > Kevin.
    >
    > | "Kevin Lawton" <> wrote in message
    > || Yes - the BIOS identifies both the Duron 650 and the XP2400
    > || correctly. In the Windows Me installation which works with either
    > || processor (I swap HDs) I have a few utilities which can run system
    > || identification and
    > | benchmarking -
    > || everything shows up correctly with all of them. What I don't have is
    > || any software to fully test out a CPU. I can identify it, burn it in
    > || and benchmark it - but not fully test it, the whole works - all
    > || instructions, caches, pipelines, everything. I think that this would
    > || have to be my next step short of actually buying another XP2400
    > || (ouch - my poor wallet). I guess there isn't a special way you have
    > || to install Windows 2000 on an XP processor because of the SSE
    > || instructions, is there ?
    > || TIA
    > || Kevin.

  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    DL <> wrote:
    | BT? - your ISP is BT

    Well yes, my ISP is BT but I don't think they'd want to get involved with a
    hardware or software problem on a machine which hasn't got as far as being
    'connected' yet. It can be bad enough (and very time-consuming) trying to
    get BT to help when there's a connection problem, or their DNS servers are
    down. Their expensive-to-call helpdesk staff just follow a 'script' of
    inappropriate questions and misleading suggestions (like insisting that I
    should re-install all my software and buy a new router when they have a DNS
    problem !). I can imagine they'd probably have me going out buying a new
    monitor, or removing the HSF to see if the XP2400 gets warm enough ! Their
    support is worse than useless - the only reason I stick with them is because
    it would be too much hassle if I lost this e-mail address as I use it to get
    work.
    I've already tried swapping out the m/board for another identical one - and
    the problem was identical too. I could have a shot at trying to return the
    CPU, but I'd need to show that it is faulty first. As it will merrily run
    Windows Me (or several other op systems I've tried) with no problem then
    that is going to be difficult. I could counter that with saying that a Duon
    650 does run everything fine.
    The one variable I haven't tried in this 'equation' yet is a completely
    different m/board. It might just be that the combination of GA-7VRXP, XP2400
    and Windows 2000 are incompatible. At the moment, I can swap the XP2400 for
    a Duron 650, or swap Windows 2000 for Windows Me and get a result. What I
    haven't tried is some different m/board. The main barrier with this is that
    a new m/board is just as inaffordable as a new CPU.
    I think my PC is bad for my mental health !
    Kevin.

    | I spoke with them because I was able to identify the initial problem
    | as been with their hardware.
    | The problem is that you have at least three pieces of kit, any of
    | which could be the problem, though its more likely to be hardware
    | than software. If you recently purchased mobo or cpu are you able to
    | exchange ?
    |
    | "Kevin Lawton" <kepla@btinternet.com> wrote in message
    || DL <> wrote:
    ||| Nothing special as far as I'm aware, I only had the problem with one
    ||| AMD cpu, never cured it and I did swap it for another identical cpu,
    ||| gave up, upgraded mobo and cpu.
    ||| There have been reports of the occasional problems with various
    ||| hardware and AMD, though this was some years ago, where seemingly
    ||| with identical hardware one would have a conflict and the other
    ||| wouldnt.
    ||| I got into some deep conversations with BT and AMD over this issue.
    || BT ? - who are they ?
    || I would really like for MS to be involved. After all, it is Windows
    || 2000 which is going wrong and failing to provide an error message.
    || I'll certainly have words with AMD support, who I expect will refer
    || me to Gigabyte, who in turn will either ignore me or refer me
    || elsewhere.
    || The question is: if I were to go out and buy another GA-7VRXP
    || m/board, AMD XP2400 processor, and a fresh shrink-wrapped copy of
    || Windows 2000 would it all work ?
    || Kevin.
    ||| "Kevin Lawton" <> wrote in message
    ||| benchmarking -
  13. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    I mention BT merely as an example of my experience with a piece of hardware
    not functioning, whilst on an identical setup it was ok.
    I'm trying to point out; that there are occasions when with identical setups
    one will work and the other will not.
    The likelyhood is that if you were able to swap out the mobo and cpu for
    identical products it would be OK.
    The only hope for this is if you bought at same time from same supplier

> [...]
    >
    > | I spoke with them because I was able to identify the initial problem
    > | as been with their hardware.
    > | The problem is that you have at least three pieces of kit, any of
    > | which could be the problem, though its more likely to be hardware
    > | than software. If you recently purchased mobo or cpu are you able to
    > | exchange ?
    > |
    > | "Kevin Lawton" <kepla@btinternet.com> wrote in message
    > || BT ? - who are they ?
    > || I would really like for MS to be involved. After all, it is Windows
    > || 2000 which is going wrong and failing to provide an error message.
    > || I'll certainly have words with AMD support, who I expect will refer
    > || me to Gigabyte, who in turn will either ignore me or refer me
    > || elsewhere.
    > || The question is: if I were to go out and buy another GA-7VRXP
    > || m/board, AMD XP2400 processor, and a fresh shrink-wrapped copy of

  14. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    Oh dear - no hope for me then ! :-(
    All the various bits for this new PC were gradually purchased last Autumn. I
    was then busy working away from home over the winter so I only got the time
    to try putting everything together about 3 weeks ago.
    Logically, I find it difficult to understand why one build using a set of
    components might work while another build using identical components might
    fail. I can accept that it might happen occasionally but, in the absence of
    an actual fault somewhere, I can't understand it.
    Given that all other parts have been swapped, the logical conclusion is that
    the problem lies between the CPU and Windows 2000. Either the XP2400 is
    unable to work in some way that only Windows 2000 (and no other op system)
    requires, or Windows 2000 is trying to do something with the XP2400 (and not
    with other processors) which the XP2400 should not be doing. The problem
    lies in proving which one - the XP2400 or Windows 2000 - is faulty. In the
    absence of decent diagnostics from Windows 2000, and comprehendsive CPU test
    and diagnostic software, this is pretty much impossible.
    Purchasing either another XP2400 CPU, or another copy of Windows 2000, is
    not a financially viable option for me.
    The one thing I think I need now is some way forward. By all accounts an
    XP2400 on a GA-7VRXP should be able to run Windows 2000, so it is case of
    pin-pointing the problem.
    Very gratefull for all the help received so far, I'm hoping that somebody
    has a good idea.
    TIA
    Kevin.

    DL <dl@spoofmail.com> wrote:
    | I mention BT merely as an example of my experience with a piece of
    | hardware not functioning, whilst on an identical setup it was ok.
    | I'm trying to point out; that there are occasions when with identical
    | setups one will work and the other will not.
    | The likelyhood is that if you were able to swap out the mobo and cpu
    | for identical products it would be OK.
    | The only hope for this is if you bought at same time from same
    | supplier
    |
    | "Kevin Lawton" <kepla@btinternet.com> wrote in message
    || DL <> wrote:
    ||| BT? - your ISP is BT
    || Well yes, my ISP is BT but I don't think they'd want to get involved
    || with a hardware or software problem on a machine which hasn't got as
    || far as being 'connected' yet. It can be bad enough (and very
    || time-consuming) trying to get BT to help when there's a connection
    || problem, or their DNS servers are down. Their expensive-to-call
    || helpdesk staff just follow a 'script' of inappropriate questions and
    || misleading suggestions (like insisting that I should re-install all
    || my software and buy a new router when they have a DNS problem !). I
    || can imagine they'd probably have me going out buying a new monitor,
    || or removing the HSF to see if the XP2400 gets warm enough ! Their
    || support is worse than useless - the only reason I stick with them is
    || because it would be too much hassle if I lost this e-mail address as
    || I use it to get work.
    || I've already tried swapping out the m/board for another identical
    || one - and the problem was identical too. I could have a shot at
    || trying to return the CPU, but I'd need to show that it is faulty
    || first. As it will merrily run Windows Me (or several other op
    || systems I've tried) with no problem then that is going to be
    || difficult. I could counter that with saying that a Duon 650 does run
    || everything fine.
    || The one variable I haven't tried in this 'equation' yet is a
    || completely different m/board. It might just be that the combination
    || of GA-7VRXP, XP2400 and Windows 2000 are incompatible. At the
    || moment, I can swap the XP2400 for a Duron 650, or swap Windows 2000
    || for Windows Me and get a result. What I haven't tried is some
    || different m/board. The main barrier with this is that a new m/board
    || is just as inaffordable as a new CPU.
    || I think my PC is bad for my mental health !
    || Kevin.
    ||| I spoke with them because I was able to identify the initial problem
    ||| as been with their hardware.
    ||| The problem is that you have at least three pieces of kit, any of
    ||| which could be the problem, though its more likely to be hardware
    ||| than software. If you recently purchased mobo or cpu are you able to
    ||| exchange ?
    ||| "Kevin Lawton" <kepla@btinternet.com> wrote in message
  15. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    The problem lies with the cpu, mobo and win2k interacting with both
    Its more likely to be the first two combination.
    As for what/why???
    You could I guess, try creating a new slipstreamed win2k install cd.
    Though I confess I doubt it would make any difference
    Another thing I notice there are three revisions of this mobo, you updated
    correct drivers / bios for your revision?
    -clutching at straws here?-

> [...]
    > || one - and the problem was identical too. I could have a shot at
    > || trying to return the CPU, but I'd need to show that it is faulty
    > || first. As it will merrily run Windows Me (or several other op
    > || systems I've tried) with no problem then that is going to be
    > || difficult. I could counter that with saying that a Duon 650 does run
    > || everything fine.
    > || The one variable I haven't tried in this 'equation' yet is a
    > || completely different m/board. It might just be that the combination
    > || of GA-7VRXP, XP2400 and Windows 2000 are incompatible. At the
    > || moment, I can swap the XP2400 for a Duron 650, or swap Windows 2000
    > || for Windows Me and get a result. What I haven't tried is some
    > || different m/board. The main barrier with this is that a new m/board
    > || is just as inaffordable as a new CPU.
    > || I think my PC is bad for my mental health !

  16. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    That's okay - I need some straws to clutch at ! ;-)
    Yes - that's the frustrating thing. If I could pin this problem down to one
    particular thing, and demonstrate that it was faulty, then I could do
    something about getting it replaced. I agree that all we seem to be able to
    say is that there is something in the difference between Windows 2000 and
    Windows Me which won't work correctly with the combination of XP2400 and
    GA-7VRXP, and yet is fine with a Duron 650 in the GA-7VRXP.
    The logical inference is that either the XP2400 or Windows 2000 is faulty,
    but I cannot determine which.
    Given the complexities of making a 'slipstreamed' install CD, it strikes me
    that I could use a simpler method. I can install Windows 2000 and run it
    fine with the Duron 650, but then when I switch over to the XP2400 it hangs.
    So I guess I could install a Service Pack with the Duron 650 then switch to
    the XP2400 to see if the Service pack had 'corrected a fault' in Windows
    2000 ? Given that there are four sevice packs, then I suppose I could cycle
    through this procedure four times.
    The GA-7VRXP is Revision 1.1 and came with the F12 BIOS fitted - this is the
    same as the latest BIOS for the board available from the Gigabyte web site,
    so I have no updating or flashing to do. I think that BIOS corruptions can
    be ruled out as the board has 'Dual BIOS technology'.
    If the vital clue to the problem lies in the difference between a
    thunderbird-core Duron 650 and a thoroughbred-core XP2400, then there are
    two differences - SSE instructions and level 2 cache. If Windows 2000 has a
    problem with either of these two, then I would expect that one of the
    Service Packs would directly address that problem. Microsoft do not appear
    to have documented this, but would they ?
    Kevin.

    DL <> wrote:
    | The problem lies with the cpu, mobo and win2k interacting with both
    | Its more likely to be the first two combination.
    | As for what/why???
    | You could I guess, try creating a new slipstreamed win2k install cd.
    | Though I confess I doubt it would make any difference
    | Another thing I notice there are three revisions of this mobo, you
    | updated correct drivers / bios for your revision?
    | -clutching at straws here?-
    |
    | "Kevin Lawton" <> wrote in message
    || Oh dear - no hope for me then ! :-(
    || All the various bits for this new PC were gradually purchased last
    || Autumn. I was then busy working away from home over the winter so I
    || only got the time to try putting everything together about 3 weeks
    || ago.
    || Logically, I find it difficult to understand why one build using a
    || set of components might work while another build using identical
    || components might fail. I can accept that it might happen
    || occasionally but, in the absence of an actual fault somewhere, I
    || can't understand it.
    || Given that all other parts have been swapped, the logical conclusion
    || is that the problem lies between the CPU and Windows 2000. Either
    || the XP2400 is unable to work in some way that only Windows 2000 (and
    || no other op system) requires, or Windows 2000 is trying to do
    || something with the XP2400 (and not with other processors) which the
    || XP2400 should not be doing. The problem lies in proving which one -
    || the XP2400 or Windows 2000 - is faulty. In the absence of decent
    || diagnostics from Windows 2000, and comprehendsive CPU test and
    || diagnostic software, this is pretty much impossible.
    || Purchasing either another XP2400 CPU, or another copy of Windows
    || 2000, is not a financially viable option for me.
    || The one thing I think I need now is some way forward. By all
    || accounts an XP2400 on a GA-7VRXP should be able to run Windows 2000,
    || so it is case of pin-pointing the problem.
    || Very gratefull for all the help received so far, I'm hoping that
    || somebody has a good idea.
    || TIA
    || Kevin.
    || DL <> wrote:
    ||| I mention BT merely as an example of my experience with a piece of
    ||| hardware not functioning, whilst on an identical setup it was ok.
    ||| I'm trying to point out; that there are occasions when with
    ||| identical setups one will work and the other will not.
    ||| The likelyhood is that if you were able to swap out the mobo and cpu
    ||| for identical products it would be OK.
    ||| The only hope for this is if you bought at same time from same
    ||| supplier
    ||| "Kevin Lawton" <> wrote in message
  17. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    There might also be other mobo updated drivers.
    I've heard it said that winme is less 'hardware picky' than win2k

> [...]
    > || is that the problem lies between the CPU and Windows 2000. Either
    > || the XP2400 is unable to work in some way that only Windows 2000 (and
    > || no other op system) requires, or Windows 2000 is trying to do
    > || something with the XP2400 (and not with other processors) which the
    > || XP2400 should not be doing. The problem lies in proving which one -
    > || the XP2400 or Windows 2000 - is faulty. In the absence of decent
    > || diagnostics from Windows 2000, and comprehendsive CPU test and
    > || diagnostic software, this is pretty much impossible.
    > || Purchasing either another XP2400 CPU, or another copy of Windows
    > || 2000, is not a financially viable option for me.
    > || The one thing I think I need now is some way forward. By all
    > || accounts an XP2400 on a GA-7VRXP should be able to run Windows 2000,
    > || so it is case of pin-pointing the problem.
    > || Very gratefull for all the help received so far, I'm hoping that

  18. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    what are the power settings on the motherboard apm/acpi ??

    win2K is very fussy about hardware

    is the fan mounted Ok on the cpu - temp problems ?

    faulty power supply ?

    rotate the ram perhaps one is faulty.

    re seat on cards and peripherals.

    I think you mentioned but try a minimal setup first

    good luck

    Geoff

> [...]
    > || systems I've tried) with no problem then that is going
    to be
    > || difficult. I could counter that with saying that a Duon
    650 does run
    > || everything fine.
    > || The one variable I haven't tried in this 'equation' yet
    is a
    > || completely different m/board. It might just be that the
    combination
    > || of GA-7VRXP, XP2400 and Windows 2000 are incompatible.
    At the
    > || moment, I can swap the XP2400 for a Duron 650, or swap
    Windows 2000
    > || for Windows Me and get a result. What I haven't tried
    is some
    > || different m/board. The main barrier with this is that a
    new m/board
    > || is just as inaffordable as a new CPU.
    > || I think my PC is bad for my mental health !
    ;-)
    Duran. - yes?
    FSB and
    standard VESA modes
    VGA card'
    check settings, eg
    I've even
    startup.
    everything.
    problem. The way
    PC as
    At least, I
    Windows 2000. I
    MHz to 100 MHz
    correctly
    believe slightly
    setting, with this
    card.
    With a fresh
    with that is
    performance for the
    Duron 650 I
    re-emerged just
    different processor
    gratefully
    Windows'
    swapped-out with no
    DOS, from
    solution.

  19. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    in line

    "Kevin Lawton" <kepla@btinternet.com> wrote in message
    > That's okay - I need some straws to clutch at ! ;-)
    > Yes - that's the frustrating thing. If I could pin this
    problem down to one
    > particular thing, and demonstrate that it was faulty, then
    I could do
    > something about getting it replaced. I agree that all we
    seem to be able to
    > say is that there is something in the difference between
    Windows 2000 and
    > Windows Me which won't work correctly with the combination
    of XP2400 and
    > GA-7VRXP, and yet is fine with a Duron 650 in the
    GA-7VRXP.
    > The logical inference is that either the XP2400 or Windows
    2000 is faulty,
    > but I cannot determine which.
    > Given the complexities of making a 'slipstreamed' install
    CD, it strikes me
    > that I could use a simpler method. I can install Windows
    2000 and run it
    > fine with the Duron 650, but then when I switch over to
    the XP2400 it hangs.
    > So I guess I could install a Service Pack with the Duron
    650 then switch to
    > the XP2400 to see if the Service pack had 'corrected a
    fault' in Windows
    > 2000 ? Given that there are four sevice packs, then I
    suppose I could cycle

    only need to install latest service pack

    > through this procedure four times.
    > The GA-7VRXP is Revision 1.1 and came with the F12 BIOS
    fitted - this is the
    > same as the latest BIOS for the board available from the
    Gigabyte web site,
    > so I have no updating or flashing to do. I think that BIOS
    corruptions can
    > be ruled out as the board has 'Dual BIOS technology'.
    > If the vital clue to the problem lies in the difference
    between a
    > thunderbird-core Duron 650 and a thoroughbred-core XP2400,
    then there are

    does MB support "XP" processors ?

    > two differences - SSE instructions and level 2 cache. If
    Windows 2000 has a
    > problem with either of these two, then I would expect that
    one of the
    > Service Packs would directly address that problem.
    Microsoft do not appear
    > to have documented this, but would they ?
    > Kevin.
  20. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    Geoffw <gwinnetSPAM@SPAMhotmail.com> wrote:
    | what are the power settings on the motherboard apm/acpi ??

    To keep things simple, I've got all power management turned off while I get
    this problem sorted out.

    | win2K is very fussy about hardware

    Dead right there ! - it loves the Duron 650, but hates the XP2400, while
    Windows Me is happy with either.

    | is the fan mounted Ok on the cpu - temp problems ?

    Oh yes, and with a nice thin smear of Arctic Silver too. CPU temperature
    through the BIOS reports at 43 degrees on the XP2400. Have tried the system
    on an overnight burn-in with little temperature rise - one or two degrees at
    most.

    | faulty power supply ?

    I've tried two replacements with no change. The current branded 550w job
    should be more than good enough for this minimal system. Voltage levels
    reported in the BIOS are within spec - checked against AMD recommended
    figures.

    | rotate the ram perhaps one is faulty.

    Tried several - all PC2700 - some Crucial, some Samsung, some others.
    Different slots too. Same result every time.

    | re seat on cards and peripherals.

    The only card at the moment is the Matrox G400 AGP graphics card. Have tried
    a Matrox Mystique 220 PCI graphics card instead - same result.

    | I think you mentioned but try a minimal setup first

    Really minimal - I've even tried removing the DVD and floppy drives, booting
    with only a HDD in place.

    | good luck

    Thanks, but I'm beginning to feel that a miracle is needed !
    Kevin.

    | "Kevin Lawton" <> wrote in message
    || Oh dear - no hope for me then ! :-(
    || All the various bits for this new PC were gradually purchased last
    || Autumn. I was then busy working away from home over the winter so I
    || only got the time to try putting everything together about 3 weeks
    || ago. Logically, I find it difficult to understand why one build
    || using a set of components might work while another build using
    || identical components might fail. I can accept that it might happen
    || occasionally but, in the absence of an actual fault somewhere, I
    || can't understand it.
    || Given that all other parts have been swapped, the logical conclusion
    || is that the problem lies between the CPU and Windows 2000. Either
    || the XP2400 is unable to work in some way that only Windows 2000 (and
    || no other op system) requires, or Windows 2000 is trying to do
    || something with the XP2400 (and not with other processors) which the
    || XP2400 should not be doing. The problem lies in proving which one -
    || the XP2400 or Windows 2000 - is faulty. In the absence of decent
    || diagnostics from Windows 2000, and comprehendsive CPU test and
    || diagnostic software, this is pretty much impossible. Purchasing
    || either another XP2400 CPU, or another copy of Windows 2000, is not a
    || financially viable option for me.
    || The one thing I think I need now is some way forward. By all
    || accounts an XP2400 on a GA-7VRXP should be able to run Windows 2000,
    || so it is case of pin-pointing the problem.
    || Very gratefull for all the help received so far, I'm hoping that
    || somebody has a good idea.
    || TIA
    || Kevin.
    || DL <> wrote:
    ||| I mention BT merely as an example of my experience with a piece of
    ||| hardware not functioning, whilst on an identical setup it was ok.
    ||| I'm trying to point out; that there are occasions when with
    ||| identical setups one will work and the other will not.
    ||| The likelyhood is that if you were able to swap out the mobo and cpu
    ||| for identical products it would be OK.
    ||| The only hope for this is if you bought at same time from same
    ||| supplier
    ||| "Kevin Lawton" <> wrote in message
    | ;-)
    | Duran. - yes?
    | startup.
    | everything.
  21. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    DL <> wrote:
    | There might also be other mobo updated drivers.

    True, but at the moment I've got all the fancy bits on the mobo turned off
    in the BIOS. It is working fine with the default Windows 2000 drivers off
    the Windows 2000 install CD when the Duron 650 is in instead of the XP2400.

    | I've heard it said that winme is less 'hardware picky' than win2k

    That's very true. At the moment Windows 2000 picks the Duron 650 but refuses
    the XP2400, whereas Windows Me likes them both. Could that be a clue ?

Windows 2000 Hard Drives Windows