Does Ctrl + Restart harm?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

Just want to know if restarting the computer by "Ctrl + Restart" from "task
manager" in XP does any harm or not? Why is it faster than the normal
restarting?
Thanks in advance

JustMe

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2003

"ABenui" <Antui@ret.com> wrote in message
Just want to know if restarting the computer by "Ctrl + Restart" from "task
manager" in XP does any harm or not? Why is it faster than the normal
restarting?
Thanks in advance

While your fixing things, fix you date and time, your posting in the future.

James

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

"ABenui" <Antui@ret.com> wrote in message
> Just want to know if restarting the computer by "Ctrl + Restart" from
> "task
> manager" in XP does any harm or not? Why is it faster than the normal
> restarting?
> Thanks in advance

it simply does not shutdown the runnning programs correctly - so any open
files may be corrupted.
--
James Jenkins
www.tamarsolutions.co.uk

"Dan" <spamyou@user.nec> wrote:

>I am talking about all the extra services in XP that need to be closed down.

To stop a service, go to Control Panel|Administrative Tools|Services.
That will show you a list of all services, a description of each, the
status (started or not) of each and allow you to start services that
are not yet running and stop services that are running.

--
Tim Slattery
MS MVP(DTS)

Dan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Thanks Tim. That was the information that I needed. I appreciate your help
and the information.

"Tim Slattery" <Slattery_T@bls.gov> wrote in message
: "Dan" <spamyou@user.nec> wrote:
:
: >I am talking about all the extra services in XP that need to be closed
down.
:
: To stop a service, go to Control Panel|Administrative Tools|Services.
: That will show you a list of all services, a description of each, the
: status (started or not) of each and allow you to start services that
: are not yet running and stop services that are running.
:
: --
: Tim Slattery
: MS MVP(DTS)