Windows 2000 ATAPI.SYS on Windows NT?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup,microsoft.public.win2000.hardware (More info?)

Anyone know if the Windows 2000 ATAPI.SYS will work on Windows NT? I need
an ATAPI.SYS that can select DMA per-device instead of per channel.

Thanks,
Paul DS.

--
Please remove the "x-" if replying to sender.

Paul D.Smith wrote:

> Anyone know if the Windows 2000 ATAPI.SYS will work on Windows NT? I need
> an ATAPI.SYS that can select DMA per-device instead of per channel.
>
> Thanks,
> Paul DS.
>
> --
> Please remove the "x-" if replying to sender.

It will not work.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup,microsoft.public.win2000.hardware (More info?)

Sounds like you speak from experience. I'm trying to find a way or using a
non-DMA capable and DMA capable device on the same IDE channel. Any ideas
as to how I might achieve this? What seems to happen at the moment is that
(I suspect) the driver tries to use DMA with everything.

Paul DS.

"Rob Stow" <rob.stow@sasktel.net> wrote in message
> Paul D.Smith wrote:
>
> > Anyone know if the Windows 2000 ATAPI.SYS will work on Windows NT? I
need
> > an ATAPI.SYS that can select DMA per-device instead of per channel.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Paul DS.
> >
> > --
> > Please remove the "x-" if replying to sender.
> >

> It will not work.

Rick

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2003
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup,microsoft.public.win2000.hardware (More info?)

Well, the obvious solution (if upgrading from NT isn't an option)
would be to install a separate inexpensive IDE controller. Just
make sure the manufacturer still has available NT drivers.

Rick

Paul D.Smith wrote:
> Sounds like you speak from experience. I'm trying to find a way or using a
> non-DMA capable and DMA capable device on the same IDE channel. Any ideas
> as to how I might achieve this? What seems to happen at the moment is that
> (I suspect) the driver tries to use DMA with everything.
>
> Paul DS.

Take a look at
http://nt4ref.zcm.com.au/dmahdd.htm

If that helps you out, go to m.p.windowsnt.misc
and say thank you to Calvin.

> "Rob Stow" <rob.stow@sasktel.net> wrote in message
>
>>Paul D.Smith wrote:
>>

>>>Anyone know if the Windows 2000 ATAPI.SYS will work on Windows NT? I
>
> need
>
>>>an ATAPI.SYS that can select DMA per-device instead of per channel.
>>>
>>>Thanks,
>>>Paul DS.
>>>
>>>--
>>>Please remove the "x-" if replying to sender.
>>>

>>It will not work.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup,microsoft.public.win2000.hardware (More info?)

I did consider that but Windows NT ATAPI.SYS only supports 2 IDE channels.
I already have 4 devices on 2 channels i.e. fully populated.

Paul DS.

Paul D.Smith wrote:

> I did consider that but Windows NT ATAPI.SYS only supports 2 IDE channels.
> I already have 4 devices on 2 channels i.e. fully populated.
>
> Paul DS.

I have had no problems using either 4-port PCI-IDE cards from Promise
or an 8 port card from 3Ware with NT4 to create things like CD towers
or storage towers with IDE drives for on-line backup of other machines.

The Promise cards needed no drivers unless you wanted RAID, but
the 3Ware one needed drivers even without RAID.

And if, for example, you install a 2 port PCI-IDE card, you can also
simply connect everything to that card and disable the motherboard's
IDE ports. I have done that with a lot of older systems where the
motherboard BIOS did not support large hard drives.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup,microsoft.public.win2000.hardware (More info?)

Rob,

Thanks for this link but unfortunately there is nothing there that I hadn't
already found. I think the issue is purely with the ATAPI.SYS driver for NT
where the DMA-capability is per-channel and the driver does not cope with
one device DMA capable and another not on a single channel.

BTW, I've replied to your other suggestion separately.