Performance Improvements with Adding Memory

jba6511

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2006
Built my first PC about a month ago and since then have OCed and customized the OS just how I want. I currently have 1 GB of memory and saw the falling prices of DDR2 on newegg. How much of a difference would upgrading to 2GB make? I mainly use the computer for light gaming, and multimedia. Currently running XP Pro and Vista.

akhilles

Splendid
List your specs.

I'd say quite big. 2 gigs will help reduce Windows caching less frequently used data & software in memory to hard disks. You can open quite a lot of sotware at the same time.

jba6511

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2006
specs:
c2d e6300 OCed to 2.7
G.Skill DDR2 667 (1 GB now)
GeForce 7600GT
Seagate Barracuda 320 GB
Xclio 500W PSU
Dvd Burner
Floppy
Lian Li PC7 Plus Case
Artic Pro 7 Cooler

Games playing currently are F.E.A.R and Battlefield 2142 but am constantly changing once I beat a game or grow tired of it. By multimedia I mean Tv Tuner card recording tv, mp3s, videos, etc. Burn some backups of 360 games as well and use newsleecher frequently. So will the 2GB be worth it? Right now I use windows xp pro about 75% of the time and vista the rest. Should I wait even longer until I use vista more and the price on the memory drops lower?

nobly

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2005
Should I wait even longer until I use vista more and the price on the memory drops lower?
That just means you don't need it right now. So wait. Save $. Although I do agree that the consensus for BF is that 2GB will help.
If you're doing video rendering it might help there too.

Uscooper

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2007
With windows Vista, 2 gigs is ideal. The way I explain it to my customers is like if you had 512 on your xp system and it was fine for what you use the pc for, 1 gig will be fine on vista, if you like more performance and had 1 gig on xp, 2 GB on vista is ideal, etc.

nobly

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2005
Vista's ideal RAM size with Superfetch and the-other-name-i-cant-remember is more like 100GB of RAM.
If they started making less bloated software we won't even have to worry about Superfetch and whatever.
I tend to build towards my application's requirements, not the OS. But to each their own!

Personally, I'm sticking w/ XP for a while. Vista sounds like its mostly eye-candy at the moment, and I don't like sacrificing performance for eye-candy (at least not on the OS).
Although I do like the black taskbar... :)

slashzapper

Distinguished
May 3, 2006
The 2gb will help so get it in my opinion 8)

Faster loading , smoother system and you can do more tasks , also no need to worry about memory when you upgrade :D

jeff_2087

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2007
Personally, I'm sticking w/ XP for a while. Vista sounds like its mostly eye-candy at the moment, and I don't like sacrificing performance for eye-candy (at least not on the OS).
Although I do like the black taskbar... :)

You might wanna take a look at this:

http://www.jcxp.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=13415

Makes XP look a lot like Vista, though I havent used Vista since Beta 2. But I love this transformation.

Upgrading from 1GB to 2GB will make a big difference in high memory games like Quake 4 or Oblivion, however, I think you will see a bigger performance increase if you save that $200 or so and put it toward a new graphics card. Being able to store data on ram won't help if your graphics card can't spit it out fast enough.

nobly

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2005
You might wanna take a look at this:

http://www.jcxp.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=13415

Makes XP look a lot like Vista, though I havent used Vista since Beta 2. But I love this transformation.
Eek too much reading for me right now. :p
All I really want is the black taskbar! hahaha oh well, its not like I look at my taskbar that often. And i'm sure there's a way to do it, i'm just too lazy to figure it out at the moment.

thanks for the link though!

aceprowler

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2006
I ordered my 2nd gig of memory yesterday. 4x512. I play the games you play. So I will have give a shout out when I do install it.

I have had 1 gig for over 1yr now. So I will be able to tell the difference if there is one.

TRENDING THREADS