Moto v551 and Moto Bluetooth PhoneTools

I'm planning on getting a Motorola v551 and using Bluetooth
with my laptop and desktop PCs. Is the Motorola Bluetooth
Phonetools software a necessary purchase? I want to be able
to up/download images + MP3s, and I want to synchronise between
my addressbooks on my PC and the v551.

Thanks for any info.

Bob Horvath wrote:
> Digital Puer wrote:
> > I'm planning on getting a Motorola v551 and using Bluetooth
> > with my laptop and desktop PCs. Is the Motorola Bluetooth
> > Phonetools software a necessary purchase? I want to be able
> > to up/download images + MP3s, and I want to synchronise between
> > my addressbooks on my PC and the v551.
> >
> > Thanks for any info.
> >

> You can move audio, video, and pictures without MPT.

Is this through Windows, or do I have use some application?
If it's an application, does it come with the v551?

> I am not as sure about the addressbooks. There is a thing called
Object
> Exchange, including on that deals with business cards that may be the

> underlying address book synchronization technology.
>
> For sycning with Outlook I think you need a tool like MPT. There
might
> be others, but I don't think you can do it directly from Outlook.

I use Yahoo Mail and Lotus Notes (ugh). Is there
a way for the Moto phone to import/export text files
or another other canonical format?

Alternatively, what I want is to just be able to enter
in contacts on the v551 and then transfer them to my
next phone. I guess the Sim card can be used here? (I'm
coming from Sprint, so please excuse my ignorance.)

Digital Puer wrote:
> I'm planning on getting a Motorola v551 and using Bluetooth
> with my laptop and desktop PCs. Is the Motorola Bluetooth
> Phonetools software a necessary purchase? I want to be able
> to up/download images + MP3s, and I want to synchronise between
> my addressbooks on my PC and the v551.
>
> Thanks for any info.

You can move audio, video, and pictures without MPT.

I am not as sure about the addressbooks. There is a thing called Object
Exchange, including on that deals with business cards that may be the
underlying address book synchronization technology.

For sycning with Outlook I think you need a tool like MPT. There might
be others, but I don't think you can do it directly from Outlook.

If anyone can correct any of this, please do.

jeff

You asked the same question I was about to ask. The Motorola Phone
Tools is a piece of software that I have no interest in paying $60 to
$70 for. Other phone manufactures simply give the software away as a
free down load from their web site. (such as Siemens and their s56
phone).

It also seem that using the native windows XP software and Blue tooth
drivers supplied with the computer Bluetooth adapter (mine are
Widcom). I am able to connect to the v551 and use it as an EDGE modem
and transfer files (pictures).

I however was unable to Sync my Outlook address / contacts. This should
be allowed as a Bluetooth service from the cell phone. With my siemens
phone it was done with a single mouse click on the sync bluetooth
service.

The reason I wanted to do this was to avoid reentering 100 names from
my old sim card.
I ended up coping all the names and phones by using the phones copy
function, but now I have two entries in my phone for every name. I
guess it is easier to delete instead of entering.

It would seem to me that an Outlook sync function would be no big deal
to Motorola. I am surprised this function / software provided with the
purchase of phone for those who wish to use it.

It is the whole idea of Bluetooth is connectivity.

Unless of course perhaps this problem has already been solved and no
one knows about it.

Comments......

steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003

you can save them on the sim, but you might be limited to one number
per record.

In article <1103587444.594038.47770@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
Digital Puer <digital_puer@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Bob Horvath wrote:
> > Digital Puer wrote:
> > > I'm planning on getting a Motorola v551 and using Bluetooth
> > > with my laptop and desktop PCs. Is the Motorola Bluetooth
> > > Phonetools software a necessary purchase? I want to be able
> > > to up/download images + MP3s, and I want to synchronise between
> > > my addressbooks on my PC and the v551.
> > >
> > > Thanks for any info.
> > >

> > You can move audio, video, and pictures without MPT.
>

> Is this through Windows, or do I have use some application?
> If it's an application, does it come with the v551?
>

> > I am not as sure about the addressbooks. There is a thing called
> Object
> > Exchange, including on that deals with business cards that may be the
>
> > underlying address book synchronization technology.
> >
> > For sycning with Outlook I think you need a tool like MPT. There
> might
> > be others, but I don't think you can do it directly from Outlook.
> >

> I use Yahoo Mail and Lotus Notes (ugh). Is there
> a way for the Moto phone to import/export text files
> or another other canonical format?
>
> Alternatively, what I want is to just be able to enter
> in contacts on the v551 and then transfer them to my
> next phone. I guess the Sim card can be used here? (I'm
> coming from Sprint, so please excuse my ignorance.)

I reluctantly bought MPT and tried to use it without success. It caused all
kinds of problems on my XP laptop. I can move files to my v551 with
bluetooth and I found I could send outlook contacts to the phone. I can load
up the phone with contacts but I can't sink. That is good enough for me,
they can take MPT and stick it.

Leo Curran wrote:
> I reluctantly bought MPT and tried to use it without success. It caused all
> kinds of problems on my XP laptop. I can move files to my v551 with
> bluetooth and I found I could send outlook contacts to the phone. I can load
> up the phone with contacts but I can't sink. That is good enough for me,
> they can take MPT and stick it.

How do you send outlook contacts to the phone?

I'm sorry I misspoke, what I did was send outlook contacts to my phone with
my iPAQ. In Pocket outlook you can send contacts to a Bluetooth phone. Sorry
if I got your hopes up.
"Bob Horvath" <usenet@horvath.com> wrote in message
> Leo Curran wrote:
>> I reluctantly bought MPT and tried to use it without success. It caused
>> all
>> kinds of problems on my XP laptop. I can move files to my v551 with
>> bluetooth and I found I could send outlook contacts to the phone. I can
>> load
>> up the phone with contacts but I can't sink. That is good enough for me,
>> they can take MPT and stick it.
>

> How do you send outlook contacts to the phone?

I gave you wrong info, I am sending contacts to my v551 from my iPAQ using
Bluetooth.
"Bob Horvath" <usenet@horvath.com> wrote in message
> Leo Curran wrote:
>> I reluctantly bought MPT and tried to use it without success. It caused
>> all
>> kinds of problems on my XP laptop. I can move files to my v551 with
>> bluetooth and I found I could send outlook contacts to the phone. I can
>> load
>> up the phone with contacts but I can't sink. That is good enough for me,
>> they can take MPT and stick it.
>

> How do you send outlook contacts to the phone?

ann

U can also sync MS Outlook contacts with V551 using MPT

--
Ann