Sign in with
Your question

How many people really know how to subnet?

Tags:
  • Subnet
  • Networking
Last response: in Networking
December 4, 2003 6:34:56 PM

After reading this newest article on two private LANs, it occurred to me that most people in our industry don't have the foggiest clue about subnetting. I think this stems from host-side perspective, rather than understanding what a router uses a subnet for. The other day, I was watching a CCNP outline a address schema, similiar to the one illustrated in the article, for 3 networks that each dealt with fewer than 64 hosts. At the time I thought he was too lazy to bother calculating appropriate subnets, a mistake which will cost him once he goes to set up ACLs, but I am begining to realize that he just didn't understand how to use a subnet.
How many people here understand subnets? If you think you understand subnets; what percent of your fellow employees seem to understand subnets?

--Matt

If I paid as much attention to people as I do computers I would be married.

More about : people subnet

December 5, 2003 2:34:30 AM

In my opinion, subnetting is something that's somewhat simple to understand, and nearly impossible to master.

While I understand it (see above), I am certainly thankful that it's not something I have to do on a regular basis. I have yet to meet a person who doesnt cringe at the sound of the word 'subnetting'.
December 5, 2003 9:57:48 AM

it took me about 4 hours to learn it and finaly understand it. i dont see what the big deal is. once you understand binary its easy as pie

wpdclan.com cs game server - 69.12.5.119:27015
December 8, 2003 9:49:13 PM

I work directly with 3 other people in my company, we all understand subnetting and supernetting.
Unless you're the company's net admin, you probably don't need to know it. Even then, most companies will hire an outside contactor to do that work and let the net admin think he knows what he's doing.

Its easy to do, but with the next version of ip adressing coming out, ip6, damned if I'll understand it right away.

haha

Riser
!