Different between full version & upgrade version

vincentmoy

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2009
Hi all,

I have upgrade my computer (E6750 to i5 750, 3G DDR2 to 4G DDR3) and I am thinking about upgrading to 7 64bit. Currently I have a dual boot system with XP Home 32 and Vista Home Premium 32. I want to upgrade the Vista to Window 7 64 and leave the XP there.

I am wondering can I but the upgrade version for the job?

Thanks!

vincentmoy

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2009

I know I cannot upgrade from 32 to 64. However, there are 2 version of 7 out there: The Full Version and the Upgrade Version. I am wondering if I get the upgrade version, which is cheaper, can I still upgrade to 64.

Thanks!

The full version will install to a bare drive, the upgrade version you must have your previous OS installed for it to work.
And yes, the upgrade will work. But even though you must have a previous OS installed, it will end up doing a completely new fresh install, as you said you cannot "upgrade" 32 bit to 64 bit.

You can buy the upgrade version of Windows 7, and it will give you an officially activated and licensed Win7 system as long as you have a previous OS on your system when you install it. And you CAN install the 64-bit version of Windows 7 even if the previous OS is 32-bit.

BUT you need to use the upgrade disk to do a "full install" if you're not upgrading from Vista or if you're changing architectures (i.e., from 32 to 64 bit). This means you'll have to reinstall all your software and migrate your data files from your old accounts to the new ones created under the new system.