Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

(Using XP Pro SP2 + .NET Framework 1.1.4322 + 256 Mb Ram + CPU 2.4 Intel +
PageFile 700Mb on H:\ )

After a "clean boot" everything runs at normal speed. Just then after
opening some programs , in a way that about 600 Mb of page file is used,
working with XP becomes really awful and slow, even after closing "ALL"
programs. The case is the same after Hibernation, and becomes worst and
worst after each Hibernation (Though my computer is totally virus free and
no program is opened by me).
What can be wrong. I remember that I didn't have this problem when I was
using the first version of XP some years ago.
Thanks for any help.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

Whatever the merits of the points raised in this thread about what to do
with a pagefile, the short answer is; If your system is now performing
poorly, you should return the system to its default state as much as
possible and rethink how you are configuring it, and then work forward
again. Personally I would add the ram. Ram runs 200 times faster than a
hard drive anyway, so get as much ram action as you can and only as much
hard disk action as you need.

Mark Minasi's advice on when to know if you should add more ram:
"If you turn on the computer and the lights don't dim, add more ram."

"**LUCIF**" <Lucy512335456@mailHot.com> wrote in message
> (Using XP Pro SP2 + .NET Framework 1.1.4322 + 256 Mb Ram + CPU 2.4 Intel
> + PageFile 700Mb on H:\ )
>
> After a "clean boot" everything runs at normal speed. Just then after
> opening some programs , in a way that about 600 Mb of page file is used,
> working with XP becomes really awful and slow, even after closing "ALL"
> programs. The case is the same after Hibernation, and becomes worst and
> worst after each Hibernation (Though my computer is totally virus free and
> no program is opened by me).
> What can be wrong. I remember that I didn't have this problem when I was
> using the first version of XP some years ago.
> Thanks for any help.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

First, be sure your antivirus software has the latest definitions and run a
virus scan.

Also, download, install and run Ad Aware:
www.lavasoftusa.com

When the system begins to slow down, hit ctrl-alt-delete, go to the
processes tab and check for anything that seems to consistently run at high
CPU cycles. It is normal for System Idle Process to be running consistently
in the 90s.

Open Control Panel, open Administrative Tools, open Event Viewer, look for
errors corresponding to the crash, double click the error, the information
contained within may give a clue as to the
source of the problem.

Assuming you have an XP CD and not a recovery CD, place the XP CD in the
drive, when the setup screen appears, select "Check System Compatibility,"
the report it generates may point to problem hardware or software on your
system. If you do not have an XP CD, you can download this application
known as the Upgrade Advisor from the following site:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/howtobuy/upgrading/advisor.asp
Note: If you have access to a broadband connection it might be best to
download using that as this is a rather large download.

Check for the latest drivers for your hardware, especially your graphics
card and soundcard and all peripherals connected to your system. No not use
Windows Update for this, go to the device manufacturer's web sites and if
you install updated drivers, ignore the message about drivers being unsigned
by Microsoft.

--
Michael Solomon MS-MVP
Windows Shell/User

"**LUCIF**" <Lucy512335456@mailHot.com> wrote in message
> (Using XP Pro SP2 + .NET Framework 1.1.4322 + 256 Mb Ram + CPU 2.4 Intel
> + PageFile 700Mb on H:\ )
>
> After a "clean boot" everything runs at normal speed. Just then after
> opening some programs , in a way that about 600 Mb of page file is used,
> working with XP becomes really awful and slow, even after closing "ALL"
> programs. The case is the same after Hibernation, and becomes worst and
> worst after each Hibernation (Though my computer is totally virus free and
> no program is opened by me).
> What can be wrong. I remember that I didn't have this problem when I was
> using the first version of XP some years ago.
> Thanks for any help.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

A pagefile on H:\? Is there a particular reason why you didn't let Windows
manage the pagefile and leave it on the primary drive? More importantly,
please tell us that H:\ is a local drive and not a network drive - if you are
paging to a mapped drive, it would show exactly these symptoms. Hibernation
uses hiberfil.sys (as paging uses pagefile.sys) and should also be on a local
drive. If they are on a local drive, make sure that by some weird twist of
fate your AV scanner is not scanning this file every time it is accessed. If
the pagefile is located in an area the AV scanner is unaware of, it may be
scanning the file every time you page.

Mark

"**LUCIF**" wrote:

> (Using XP Pro SP2 + .NET Framework 1.1.4322 + 256 Mb Ram + CPU 2.4 Intel +
> PageFile 700Mb on H:\ )
>
> After a "clean boot" everything runs at normal speed. Just then after
> opening some programs , in a way that about 600 Mb of page file is used,
> working with XP becomes really awful and slow, even after closing "ALL"
> programs. The case is the same after Hibernation, and becomes worst and
> worst after each Hibernation (Though my computer is totally virus free and
> no program is opened by me).
> What can be wrong. I remember that I didn't have this problem when I was
> using the first version of XP some years ago.
> Thanks for any help.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

Here's another vote for adding more memory. Add at least 256 MB,
prefrerably more.

Is your H drive located on a second hard drive? If it's a
partition on your primary hard drive then you should move your
pagefile back to your C drive. If space is a problem on your C
drive, move whatever you can to another partition. Take a look
here for a better understanding of how the page file works in XP:

http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpvm.php

--
Nepatsfan
"**LUCIF**" <Lucy512335456@mailHot.com> wrote in message
> (Using XP Pro SP2 + .NET Framework 1.1.4322 + 256 Mb Ram + CPU
> 2.4 Intel + PageFile 700Mb on H:\ )
>
> After a "clean boot" everything runs at normal speed. Just then
> after opening some programs , in a way that about 600 Mb of
> page file is used, working with XP becomes really awful and
> slow, even after closing "ALL" programs. The case is the same
> after Hibernation, and becomes worst and worst after each
> Hibernation (Though my computer is totally virus free and no
> program is opened by me).
> What can be wrong. I remember that I didn't have this problem
> when I was using the first version of XP some years ago.
> Thanks for any help.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

If you put the pagefile on an external firewire or usb2 drive then I would
think things would slow down as the memory manager goes more and more to the
pagefile. And it will on a system with 256mb of ram. 256mb is fine for
typical use, but put the pagefile on an internal drive. Personally, I see
no need in XP to move it from its default location on the system drive and
just let XP manage it. The techniques for squeezing out performance on
Windows 9x machines become pretty much urban legend on an XP machine. The
suggestion to increase ram is fine and that will lessen dependence on the
pagefile but it sounds like you have a fundamental configuration issue.

"**LUCIF**" <Lucy512335456@mailHot.com> wrote in message
> (Using XP Pro SP2 + .NET Framework 1.1.4322 + 256 Mb Ram + CPU 2.4 Intel
> + PageFile 700Mb on H:\ )
>
> After a "clean boot" everything runs at normal speed. Just then after
> opening some programs , in a way that about 600 Mb of page file is used,
> working with XP becomes really awful and slow, even after closing "ALL"
> programs. The case is the same after Hibernation, and becomes worst and
> worst after each Hibernation (Though my computer is totally virus free and
> no program is opened by me).
> What can be wrong. I remember that I didn't have this problem when I was
> using the first version of XP some years ago.
> Thanks for any help.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

Good catch, you and Mark. I blew right past that notation in his post and
of course you are both quite right, if the pagefile is on a separate
partition as opposed to a separate hard drive, that could well be the source
of the problem.

--

"Nepatsfan" <nepatsfan@SBXXXVIII.com> wrote in message
> Here's another vote for adding more memory. Add at least 256 MB,
> prefrerably more.
>
> Is your H drive located on a second hard drive? If it's a partition on
> your primary hard drive then you should move your pagefile back to your C
> drive. If space is a problem on your C drive, move whatever you can to
> another partition. Take a look here for a better understanding of how the
> page file works in XP:
>
> http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpvm.php
>
> --
> Nepatsfan
> "**LUCIF**" <Lucy512335456@mailHot.com> wrote in message
>> (Using XP Pro SP2 + .NET Framework 1.1.4322 + 256 Mb Ram + CPU 2.4 Intel
>> + PageFile 700Mb on H:\ )
>>
>> After a "clean boot" everything runs at normal speed. Just then after
>> opening some programs , in a way that about 600 Mb of page file is used,
>> working with XP becomes really awful and slow, even after closing "ALL"
>> programs. The case is the same after Hibernation, and becomes worst and
>> worst after each Hibernation (Though my computer is totally virus free
>> and no program is opened by me).
>> What can be wrong. I remember that I didn't have this problem when I was
>> using the first version of XP some years ago.
>> Thanks for any help.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

H:\ is on my local disk. I chose it after I made a drive speed test by "Nero
6.3" and found it the fastest one among C:\ , D:\, E:\ ....

I did this after reading this article:
http://www.petri.co.il/pagefile_optimization.htm

--------------------------------

"Mark Stafford" <MarkStafford@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>A pagefile on H:\? Is there a particular reason why you didn't let Windows
> manage the pagefile and leave it on the primary drive? More importantly,
> please tell us that H:\ is a local drive and not a network drive - if you
> are
> paging to a mapped drive, it would show exactly these symptoms.
> Hibernation
> uses hiberfil.sys (as paging uses pagefile.sys) and should also be on a
> local
> drive. If they are on a local drive, make sure that by some weird twist
> of
> fate your AV scanner is not scanning this file every time it is accessed.
> If
> the pagefile is located in an area the AV scanner is unaware of, it may be
> scanning the file every time you page.
>
> Mark

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

Which controller is it attached to? IDE? SATA? How is it connected?

> H:\ is on my local disk. I chose it after I made a drive speed test by
> "Nero
> 6.3" and found it the fastest one among C:\ , D:\, E:\ ....
>
> I did this after reading this article:
> http://www.petri.co.il/pagefile_optimization.htm
>
> --------------------------------
>
> "Mark Stafford" <MarkStafford@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>A pagefile on H:\? Is there a particular reason why you didn't let
>>Windows
>> manage the pagefile and leave it on the primary drive? More importantly,
>> please tell us that H:\ is a local drive and not a network drive - if you
>> are
>> paging to a mapped drive, it would show exactly these symptoms.
>> Hibernation
>> uses hiberfil.sys (as paging uses pagefile.sys) and should also be on a
>> local
>> drive. If they are on a local drive, make sure that by some weird twist
>> of
>> fate your AV scanner is not scanning this file every time it is accessed.
>> If
>> the pagefile is located in an area the AV scanner is unaware of, it may
>> be
>> scanning the file every time you page.
>>
>> Mark

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

Quoting from that article:

"Move the pagefile off the disk that holds your system and boot
partitions to another fast and dedicated hard disk".

Dedicated means a second HD.

"Remember that using another partition on the same SYSTEM or DATA
HD will not improve your system's performance at all. To do that
you'll need a separate fast HD, preferably connected to a
different controller".

Note "separate" and "different controller".

Unless you've got a 2nd HD, you might want to move your page file
back to C and reset it to "System managed size". Reboot and see
how your system runs.
--
Nepatsfan
"**LUCIF**" <Lucy512335456@mailHot.com> wrote in message
> H:\ is on my local disk. I chose it after I made a drive speed
> test by "Nero
> 6.3" and found it the fastest one among C:\ , D:\, E:\ ....
>
> I did this after reading this article:
> http://www.petri.co.il/pagefile_optimization.htm
>
> --------------------------------
>
> "Mark Stafford" <MarkStafford@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
> in message
>>A pagefile on H:\? Is there a particular reason why you didn't
>>let Windows
>> manage the pagefile and leave it on the primary drive? More
>> importantly,
>> please tell us that H:\ is a local drive and not a network
>> drive - if you
>> are
>> paging to a mapped drive, it would show exactly these
>> symptoms.
>> Hibernation
>> uses hiberfil.sys (as paging uses pagefile.sys) and should
>> also be on a
>> local
>> drive. If they are on a local drive, make sure that by some
>> weird twist
>> of
>> fate your AV scanner is not scanning this file every time it
>> is accessed.
>> If
>> the pagefile is located in an area the AV scanner is unaware
>> of, it may be
>> scanning the file every time you page.
>>
>> Mark

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

Both the Daniel Petrie article and the Knowledge Base Article, How to
Configure Paging Files for Optimization and Recovery in Windows XP - 314482
referenced in Daniel Petrie's article refer to moving the pagefile to a
separate partition on a separate physical hard disk, not a separate
partition from the boot drive on a single hard disk.

--
Michael Solomon MS-MVP
Windows Shell/User
Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/

"**LUCIF**" <Lucy512335456@mailHot.com> wrote in message
> H:\ is on my local disk. I chose it after I made a drive speed test by
> "Nero
> 6.3" and found it the fastest one among C:\ , D:\, E:\ ....
>
> I did this after reading this article:
> http://www.petri.co.il/pagefile_optimization.htm
>
> --------------------------------
>
> "Mark Stafford" <MarkStafford@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>A pagefile on H:\? Is there a particular reason why you didn't let
>>Windows
>> manage the pagefile and leave it on the primary drive? More importantly,
>> please tell us that H:\ is a local drive and not a network drive - if you
>> are
>> paging to a mapped drive, it would show exactly these symptoms.
>> Hibernation
>> uses hiberfil.sys (as paging uses pagefile.sys) and should also be on a
>> local
>> drive. If they are on a local drive, make sure that by some weird twist
>> of
>> fate your AV scanner is not scanning this file every time it is accessed.
>> If
>> the pagefile is located in an area the AV scanner is unaware of, it may
>> be
>> scanning the file every time you page.
>>
>> Mark

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

Michael

Alex Nichol also makes the point that if this done you should leave a
small pagefile in the system drive / partition.

--

Regards.

Gerry

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
FCA

Stourport, Worcs, England
Enquire, plan and execute.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

> Both the Daniel Petrie article and the Knowledge Base Article, How to
> Configure Paging Files for Optimization and Recovery in Windows XP -
> 314482 referenced in Daniel Petrie's article refer to moving the
> pagefile to a separate partition on a separate physical hard disk, not
> a separate partition from the boot drive on a single hard disk.
>
> --
> Michael Solomon MS-MVP
> Windows Shell/User
> https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/communities/mvp.aspx
> Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
> DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
>

> "**LUCIF**" <Lucy512335456@mailHot.com> wrote in message
>> H:\ is on my local disk. I chose it after I made a drive speed test
>> by "Nero
>> 6.3" and found it the fastest one among C:\ , D:\, E:\ ....
>>
>> I did this after reading this article:
>> http://www.petri.co.il/pagefile_optimization.htm
>>
>> --------------------------------
>>
>> "Mark Stafford" <MarkStafford@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>> message
>>>A pagefile on H:\? Is there a particular reason why you didn't let
>>>Windows
>>> manage the pagefile and leave it on the primary drive? More
>>> importantly,
>>> please tell us that H:\ is a local drive and not a network drive -
>>> if you
>>> are
>>> paging to a mapped drive, it would show exactly these symptoms.
>>> Hibernation
>>> uses hiberfil.sys (as paging uses pagefile.sys) and should also be
>>> on a
>>> local
>>> drive. If they are on a local drive, make sure that by some weird
>>> twist
>>> of
>>> fate your AV scanner is not scanning this file every time it is
>>> accessed.
>>> If
>>> the pagefile is located in an area the AV scanner is unaware of, it
>>> may be
>>> scanning the file every time you page.
>>>
>>> Mark

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

Yes, that is true and it is not about that with which I'm taking issue. It
is the implication of moving the pagefile to a separate parturition on the
same physical hard disk with which I'm taking issue. The documentation
clearly states it should be a separate physical hard drive.

--

"Gerry Cornell" <gcjc@tenretnitb.com> wrote in message
> Michael
>
> Alex Nichol also makes the point that if this done you should leave a
> small pagefile in the system drive / partition.
>
> --
>

> Regards.
>
> Gerry
>
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> FCA
>
> Stourport, Worcs, England
> Enquire, plan and execute.
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>

> "Michael Solomon (MS-MVP)" <user@#notme.com> wrote in message
>> Both the Daniel Petrie article and the Knowledge Base Article, How to
>> Configure Paging Files for Optimization and Recovery in Windows XP -
>> 314482 referenced in Daniel Petrie's article refer to moving the pagefile
>> to a separate partition on a separate physical hard disk, not a separate
>> partition from the boot drive on a single hard disk.
>>
>> --
>> Michael Solomon MS-MVP
>> Windows Shell/User
>> https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/communities/mvp.aspx
>> Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
>> DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
>>

>> "**LUCIF**" <Lucy512335456@mailHot.com> wrote in message
>>> H:\ is on my local disk. I chose it after I made a drive speed test by
>>> "Nero
>>> 6.3" and found it the fastest one among C:\ , D:\, E:\ ....
>>>
>>> I did this after reading this article:
>>> http://www.petri.co.il/pagefile_optimization.htm
>>>
>>> --------------------------------
>>>
>>> "Mark Stafford" <MarkStafford@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>>> message

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

Michael

That's the way I read it to!

--

Regards.

Gerry

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
FCA

Stourport, Worcs, England
Enquire, plan and execute.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

> Yes, that is true and it is not about that with which I'm taking
> issue. It is the implication of moving the pagefile to a separate
> parturition on the same physical hard disk with which I'm taking
> issue. The documentation clearly states it should be a separate
> physical hard drive.
>
> --
> Michael Solomon MS-MVP
> Windows Shell/User
> https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/communities/mvp.aspx
> Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
> DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
>

> "Gerry Cornell" <gcjc@tenretnitb.com> wrote in message
>> Michael
>>
>> Alex Nichol also makes the point that if this done you should leave a
>> small pagefile in the system drive / partition.
>>
>> --
>>

>> Regards.
>>
>> Gerry
>>
>> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>> FCA
>>
>> Stourport, Worcs, England
>> Enquire, plan and execute.
>> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>>

>> "Michael Solomon (MS-MVP)" <user@#notme.com> wrote in message
>>> Both the Daniel Petrie article and the Knowledge Base Article, How
>>> to Configure Paging Files for Optimization and Recovery in Windows
>>> XP - 314482 referenced in Daniel Petrie's article refer to moving
>>> the pagefile to a separate partition on a separate physical hard
>>> disk, not a separate partition from the boot drive on a single hard
>>> disk.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Michael Solomon MS-MVP
>>> Windows Shell/User
>>> https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/communities/mvp.aspx
>>> Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
>>> DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
>>>

>>> "**LUCIF**" <Lucy512335456@mailHot.com> wrote in message

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

I have reset the page file to C:\ and its size is the system default. No
change in performance I see. Even after restarting...

> Both the Daniel Petrie article and the Knowledge Base Article, How to
> Configure Paging Files for Optimization and Recovery in Windows XP -
> 314482 referenced in Daniel Petrie's article refer to moving the pagefile
> to a separate partition on a separate physical hard disk, not a separate
> partition from the boot drive on a single hard disk.
>
> --
> Michael Solomon MS-MVP
> Windows Shell/User
> https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/communities/mvp.aspx
> Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
> DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
>

> "**LUCIF**" <Lucy512335456@mailHot.com> wrote in message
>> H:\ is on my local disk. I chose it after I made a drive speed test by
>> "Nero
>> 6.3" and found it the fastest one among C:\ , D:\, E:\ ....
>>
>> I did this after reading this article:
>> http://www.petri.co.il/pagefile_optimization.htm
>>
>> --------------------------------
>>
>> "Mark Stafford" <MarkStafford@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>>A pagefile on H:\? Is there a particular reason why you didn't let
>>>Windows
>>> manage the pagefile and leave it on the primary drive? More
>>> importantly,
>>> please tell us that H:\ is a local drive and not a network drive - if
>>> you
>>> are
>>> paging to a mapped drive, it would show exactly these symptoms.
>>> Hibernation
>>> uses hiberfil.sys (as paging uses pagefile.sys) and should also be on a
>>> local
>>> drive. If they are on a local drive, make sure that by some weird twist
>>> of
>>> fate your AV scanner is not scanning this file every time it is
>>> accessed.
>>> If
>>> the pagefile is located in an area the AV scanner is unaware of, it may
>>> be
>>> scanning the file every time you page.
>>>
>>> Mark

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

Try Ctrl+Alt+Delete to bring Task Manager and select the Process Tab.
What is the Commit Charge?

How is your page file managed?

--

Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
FCA

Using invalid email address

Stourport, Worcs, England
Enquire, plan and execute.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please tell the newsgroup how any
suggested solution worked for you.

http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

>I have reset the page file to C:\ and its size is the system default.
>No change in performance I see. Even after restarting...
>
> "Michael Solomon (MS-MVP)" <user@#notme.com> wrote in message
>> Both the Daniel Petrie article and the Knowledge Base Article, How to
>> Configure Paging Files for Optimization and Recovery in Windows XP -
>> 314482 referenced in Daniel Petrie's article refer to moving the
>> pagefile to a separate partition on a separate physical hard disk,
>> not a separate partition from the boot drive on a single hard disk.
>>
>> --
>> Michael Solomon MS-MVP
>> Windows Shell/User
>> https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/communities/mvp.aspx
>> Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
>> DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
>>

>> "**LUCIF**" <Lucy512335456@mailHot.com> wrote in message
>>> H:\ is on my local disk. I chose it after I made a drive speed test
>>> by "Nero
>>> 6.3" and found it the fastest one among C:\ , D:\, E:\ ....
>>>
>>> I did this after reading this article:
>>> http://www.petri.co.il/pagefile_optimization.htm
>>>
>>> --------------------------------
>>>
>>> "Mark Stafford" <MarkStafford@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>>> message

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

That's only one step and one possible cause. Here are my original
suggestion as follows:
> [...]

>> --
>> Michael Solomon MS-MVP
>> Windows Shell/User
>> https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/communities/mvp.aspx
>> Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
>> DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
>>

>> "**LUCIF**" <Lucy512335456@mailHot.com> wrote in message
>>> H:\ is on my local disk. I chose it after I made a drive speed test by
>>> "Nero
>>> 6.3" and found it the fastest one among C:\ , D:\, E:\ ....
>>>
>>> I did this after reading this article:
>>> http://www.petri.co.il/pagefile_optimization.htm
>>>
>>> --------------------------------
>>>
>>> "Mark Stafford" <MarkStafford@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>>> message

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

Good, now we can look for problems without wondering if a non-default
configuration is at fault. That helps in troubleshooting.

"**LUCIF**" <Lucy512335456@mailHot.com> wrote in message
>I have reset the page file to C:\ and its size is the system default. No
>change in performance I see. Even after restarting...
>
> "Michael Solomon (MS-MVP)" <user@#notme.com> wrote in message
>> Both the Daniel Petrie article and the Knowledge Base Article, How to
>> Configure Paging Files for Optimization and Recovery in Windows XP -
>> 314482 referenced in Daniel Petrie's article refer to moving the pagefile
>> to a separate partition on a separate physical hard disk, not a separate
>> partition from the boot drive on a single hard disk.
>>
>> --
>> Michael Solomon MS-MVP
>> Windows Shell/User
>> https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/communities/mvp.aspx
>> Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
>> DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
>>

>> "**LUCIF**" <Lucy512335456@mailHot.com> wrote in message
>>> H:\ is on my local disk. I chose it after I made a drive speed test by
>>> "Nero
>>> 6.3" and found it the fastest one among C:\ , D:\, E:\ ....
>>>
>>> I did this after reading this article:
>>> http://www.petri.co.il/pagefile_optimization.htm
>>>
>>> --------------------------------
>>>
>>> "Mark Stafford" <MarkStafford@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>>> message

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 09:09:38 +0430, "**LUCIF**"

>(Using XP Pro SP2 + .NET Framework 1.1.4322 + 256 Mb Ram + CPU 2.4 Intel +
>PageFile 700Mb on H:\ )

>After a "clean boot" everything runs at normal speed. Just then after
>opening some programs , in a way that about 600 Mb of page file is used,
>working with XP becomes really awful and slow, even after closing "ALL"
>programs. The case is the same after Hibernation, and becomes worst and
>worst after each Hibernation (Though my computer is totally virus free and
>no program is opened by me).

This is a fairly broad-scope, general problem and thus requires "the
prelim", with particular respect to HD and malware exclusion. One has
to wonder what backs up assertions of being "totally virus free" :)

>What can be wrong. I remember that I didn't have this problem when I was
>using the first version of XP some years ago.

The key seems to be HD access. Some slowdown may be from a pagefile
that's fragmented or located "far up" the HD (i.e. on a 2nd physical
HD that is slow, or on a logical volume on the same HD as C:, or one
big C: with the pagefile at the end, after a lot of clutter).

The "cost" of HD access may be increased in other ways, e.g. slower
due to low-level hardware/driver issues, e.g. PIO vs. UDMA, use of
40-pin rather than 80-pin data cable, etc.

But the scary big satan would be a HD that is failing, causing
multiple retries to access some sectors. This would give a patchy but
profound performance impact, and there's the risk of data loss and
system failure too. When the HD bogs down in retries, the mouse
pointer will stick, keystrokes will be ignored, and the HD activity
LED will be on. If the retries are within pagefile, then you can
expect pain, even if you aren't bloating pagefile use via fast user
switching, or fragging up C: via huge default IE cache.

So: Exclude or address failing HD *first*. Only after that's safely
excluded - and don't trust glib fast tests, shallow SMART reports or
ChkDsk /R boasts of "fixing" bad clusters - is it safe to do anything
else, especially a defrag.

>------------ ----- ---- --- -- - - - -
The most accurate diagnostic instrument
in medicine is the Retrospectoscope
>------------ ----- ---- --- -- - - - -

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 23:42:26 +0430, "**LUCIF**"

>H:\ is on my local disk. I chose it after I made a drive speed test by "Nero
>6.3" and found it the fastest one among C:\ , D:\, E:\ ....

>I did this after reading this article:
>http://www.petri.co.il/pagefile_optimization.htm

Ah. I'm wondering about Nero's test methodology; what may be fast
when accessed alone may be slow when accessed concurrently with other
volumes, when that involves head travel between these.

Normally, the details of where drive letters actually are is hidden
and irrelevant, but when going for performance, you need to keep those
details in mind. Let's say C:, D:, E:, F:, G:, H: are all logical
volumes on the same physical HD, created in order with these sizes:

C----D--E----------F-------G----H--

D: and H: may be equally fast, when accessed alone, as they are small
tight volumes. But in the context of constant accesses to C:, D: can
bve expected to be way faster than H: because the head travel is less,
between C: and D:, than between C: and H:

If OTOH the drive letters are not in order...

C----H--E----------F-------G----D--

....then the reverse might apply.

Let real-world mileage be your guide - and I suspect you'd find the
fastest volumes in the following 2 x HD scenario would be C: and D:

HD1 C----E----------F-------G----
HD2 D---H--------------------------

>---------------- ----- ---- --- -- - - - -
Cats have 9 lives, which makes them
ideal for experimentation!
>---------------- ----- ---- --- -- - - - -

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

What "kind of" anti-virus software are you using? I used Norton System Works
for awhile and my computer suddenly slowed down. I ran Norton anti-virus and
it did NOT find any viruses but I purchased and ran V-Com System Suite 5 and
it found SEVERAL viruses that Norton missed and it was able to clean them up
and my computer has been running great for quite a while now. I also
purchased Webroot SpySweeper and it finds Trojans and malware. V-Com and
Webroot together make a very powerful package that definitely aids in finding
all kinds of viruses and Trojans.
Again, "What "kind of" anti-virus software are you using?" It's possible
that you may have a Trojan.

"**LUCIF**" wrote:

> (Using XP Pro SP2 + .NET Framework 1.1.4322 + 256 Mb Ram + CPU 2.4 Intel +
> PageFile 700Mb on H:\ )
>
> After a "clean boot" everything runs at normal speed. Just then after
> opening some programs , in a way that about 600 Mb of page file is used,
> working with XP becomes really awful and slow, even after closing "ALL"
> programs. The case is the same after Hibernation, and becomes worst and
> worst after each Hibernation (Though my computer is totally virus free and
> no program is opened by me).
> What can be wrong. I remember that I didn't have this problem when I was
> using the first version of XP some years ago.
> Thanks for any help.

kelly

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

What is running in the background? Read the logfile from here and evaluate:
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/StartupTracker3.zip

--
In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol: http://www.dts-l.org/

All the Best,