XP becomes extremly slow

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

(Using XP Pro SP2 + .NET Framework 1.1.4322 + 256 Mb Ram + CPU 2.4 Intel +
PageFile 700Mb on H:\ )

After a "clean boot" everything runs at normal speed. Just then after
opening some programs , in a way that about 600 Mb of page file is used,
working with XP becomes really awful and slow, even after closing "ALL"
programs. The case is the same after Hibernation, and becomes worst and
worst after each Hibernation (Though my computer is totally virus free and
no program is opened by me).
What can be wrong. I remember that I didn't have this problem when I was
using the first version of XP some years ago.
Thanks for any help.
21 answers Last reply
More about extremly slow
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    First, be sure your antivirus software has the latest definitions and run a
    virus scan.

    Also, download, install and run Ad Aware:
    www.lavasoftusa.com

    When the system begins to slow down, hit ctrl-alt-delete, go to the
    processes tab and check for anything that seems to consistently run at high
    CPU cycles. It is normal for System Idle Process to be running consistently
    in the 90s.

    Open Control Panel, open Administrative Tools, open Event Viewer, look for
    errors corresponding to the crash, double click the error, the information
    contained within may give a clue as to the
    source of the problem.

    Assuming you have an XP CD and not a recovery CD, place the XP CD in the
    drive, when the setup screen appears, select "Check System Compatibility,"
    the report it generates may point to problem hardware or software on your
    system. If you do not have an XP CD, you can download this application
    known as the Upgrade Advisor from the following site:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/howtobuy/upgrading/advisor.asp
    Note: If you have access to a broadband connection it might be best to
    download using that as this is a rather large download.

    Check for the latest drivers for your hardware, especially your graphics
    card and soundcard and all peripherals connected to your system. No not use
    Windows Update for this, go to the device manufacturer's web sites and if
    you install updated drivers, ignore the message about drivers being unsigned
    by Microsoft.

    --
    Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    Windows Shell/User

    "**LUCIF**" <Lucy512335456@mailHot.com> wrote in message
    > (Using XP Pro SP2 + .NET Framework 1.1.4322 + 256 Mb Ram + CPU 2.4 Intel
    > + PageFile 700Mb on H:\ )
    >
    > After a "clean boot" everything runs at normal speed. Just then after
    > opening some programs , in a way that about 600 Mb of page file is used,
    > working with XP becomes really awful and slow, even after closing "ALL"
    > programs. The case is the same after Hibernation, and becomes worst and
    > worst after each Hibernation (Though my computer is totally virus free and
    > no program is opened by me).
    > What can be wrong. I remember that I didn't have this problem when I was
    > using the first version of XP some years ago.
    > Thanks for any help.

  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    A pagefile on H:\? Is there a particular reason why you didn't let Windows
    manage the pagefile and leave it on the primary drive? More importantly,
    please tell us that H:\ is a local drive and not a network drive - if you are
    paging to a mapped drive, it would show exactly these symptoms. Hibernation
    uses hiberfil.sys (as paging uses pagefile.sys) and should also be on a local
    drive. If they are on a local drive, make sure that by some weird twist of
    fate your AV scanner is not scanning this file every time it is accessed. If
    the pagefile is located in an area the AV scanner is unaware of, it may be
    scanning the file every time you page.

    Mark

    "**LUCIF**" wrote:

    > (Using XP Pro SP2 + .NET Framework 1.1.4322 + 256 Mb Ram + CPU 2.4 Intel +
    > PageFile 700Mb on H:\ )
    >
    > After a "clean boot" everything runs at normal speed. Just then after
    > opening some programs , in a way that about 600 Mb of page file is used,
    > working with XP becomes really awful and slow, even after closing "ALL"
    > programs. The case is the same after Hibernation, and becomes worst and
    > worst after each Hibernation (Though my computer is totally virus free and
    > no program is opened by me).
    > What can be wrong. I remember that I didn't have this problem when I was
    > using the first version of XP some years ago.
    > Thanks for any help.

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    Here's another vote for adding more memory. Add at least 256 MB,
    prefrerably more.

    Is your H drive located on a second hard drive? If it's a
    partition on your primary hard drive then you should move your
    pagefile back to your C drive. If space is a problem on your C
    drive, move whatever you can to another partition. Take a look
    here for a better understanding of how the page file works in XP:

    http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpvm.php

    --
    Nepatsfan
    "**LUCIF**" <Lucy512335456@mailHot.com> wrote in message
    > (Using XP Pro SP2 + .NET Framework 1.1.4322 + 256 Mb Ram + CPU
    > 2.4 Intel + PageFile 700Mb on H:\ )
    >
    > After a "clean boot" everything runs at normal speed. Just then
    > after opening some programs , in a way that about 600 Mb of
    > page file is used, working with XP becomes really awful and
    > slow, even after closing "ALL" programs. The case is the same
    > after Hibernation, and becomes worst and worst after each
    > Hibernation (Though my computer is totally virus free and no
    > program is opened by me).
    > What can be wrong. I remember that I didn't have this problem
    > when I was using the first version of XP some years ago.
    > Thanks for any help.

  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    If you put the pagefile on an external firewire or usb2 drive then I would
    think things would slow down as the memory manager goes more and more to the
    pagefile. And it will on a system with 256mb of ram. 256mb is fine for
    typical use, but put the pagefile on an internal drive. Personally, I see
    no need in XP to move it from its default location on the system drive and
    just let XP manage it. The techniques for squeezing out performance on
    Windows 9x machines become pretty much urban legend on an XP machine. The
    suggestion to increase ram is fine and that will lessen dependence on the
    pagefile but it sounds like you have a fundamental configuration issue.

    "**LUCIF**" <Lucy512335456@mailHot.com> wrote in message
    > (Using XP Pro SP2 + .NET Framework 1.1.4322 + 256 Mb Ram + CPU 2.4 Intel
    > + PageFile 700Mb on H:\ )
    >
    > After a "clean boot" everything runs at normal speed. Just then after
    > opening some programs , in a way that about 600 Mb of page file is used,
    > working with XP becomes really awful and slow, even after closing "ALL"
    > programs. The case is the same after Hibernation, and becomes worst and
    > worst after each Hibernation (Though my computer is totally virus free and
    > no program is opened by me).
    > What can be wrong. I remember that I didn't have this problem when I was
    > using the first version of XP some years ago.
    > Thanks for any help.

  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    Whatever the merits of the points raised in this thread about what to do
    with a pagefile, the short answer is; If your system is now performing
    poorly, you should return the system to its default state as much as
    possible and rethink how you are configuring it, and then work forward
    again. Personally I would add the ram. Ram runs 200 times faster than a
    hard drive anyway, so get as much ram action as you can and only as much
    hard disk action as you need.

    Mark Minasi's advice on when to know if you should add more ram:
    "If you turn on the computer and the lights don't dim, add more ram."

    "**LUCIF**" <Lucy512335456@mailHot.com> wrote in message
    > (Using XP Pro SP2 + .NET Framework 1.1.4322 + 256 Mb Ram + CPU 2.4 Intel
    > + PageFile 700Mb on H:\ )
    >
    > After a "clean boot" everything runs at normal speed. Just then after
    > opening some programs , in a way that about 600 Mb of page file is used,
    > working with XP becomes really awful and slow, even after closing "ALL"
    > programs. The case is the same after Hibernation, and becomes worst and
    > worst after each Hibernation (Though my computer is totally virus free and
    > no program is opened by me).
    > What can be wrong. I remember that I didn't have this problem when I was
    > using the first version of XP some years ago.
    > Thanks for any help.

  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    Good catch, you and Mark. I blew right past that notation in his post and
    of course you are both quite right, if the pagefile is on a separate
    partition as opposed to a separate hard drive, that could well be the source
    of the problem.

    --

    "Nepatsfan" <nepatsfan@SBXXXVIII.com> wrote in message
    > Here's another vote for adding more memory. Add at least 256 MB,
    > prefrerably more.
    >
    > Is your H drive located on a second hard drive? If it's a partition on
    > your primary hard drive then you should move your pagefile back to your C
    > drive. If space is a problem on your C drive, move whatever you can to
    > another partition. Take a look here for a better understanding of how the
    > page file works in XP:
    >
    > http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpvm.php
    >
    > --
    > Nepatsfan
    > "**LUCIF**" <Lucy512335456@mailHot.com> wrote in message
    >> (Using XP Pro SP2 + .NET Framework 1.1.4322 + 256 Mb Ram + CPU 2.4 Intel
    >> + PageFile 700Mb on H:\ )
    >>
    >> After a "clean boot" everything runs at normal speed. Just then after
    >> opening some programs , in a way that about 600 Mb of page file is used,
    >> working with XP becomes really awful and slow, even after closing "ALL"
    >> programs. The case is the same after Hibernation, and becomes worst and
    >> worst after each Hibernation (Though my computer is totally virus free
    >> and no program is opened by me).
    >> What can be wrong. I remember that I didn't have this problem when I was
    >> using the first version of XP some years ago.
    >> Thanks for any help.

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    H:\ is on my local disk. I chose it after I made a drive speed test by "Nero
    6.3" and found it the fastest one among C:\ , D:\, E:\ ....

    I did this after reading this article:
    http://www.petri.co.il/pagefile_optimization.htm

    --------------------------------

    "Mark Stafford" <MarkStafford@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >A pagefile on H:\? Is there a particular reason why you didn't let Windows
    > manage the pagefile and leave it on the primary drive? More importantly,
    > please tell us that H:\ is a local drive and not a network drive - if you
    > are
    > paging to a mapped drive, it would show exactly these symptoms.
    > Hibernation
    > uses hiberfil.sys (as paging uses pagefile.sys) and should also be on a
    > local
    > drive. If they are on a local drive, make sure that by some weird twist
    > of
    > fate your AV scanner is not scanning this file every time it is accessed.
    > If
    > the pagefile is located in an area the AV scanner is unaware of, it may be
    > scanning the file every time you page.
    >
    > Mark
  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    Which controller is it attached to? IDE? SATA? How is it connected?

    > H:\ is on my local disk. I chose it after I made a drive speed test by
    > "Nero
    > 6.3" and found it the fastest one among C:\ , D:\, E:\ ....
    >
    > I did this after reading this article:
    > http://www.petri.co.il/pagefile_optimization.htm
    >
    > --------------------------------
    >
    > "Mark Stafford" <MarkStafford@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >>A pagefile on H:\? Is there a particular reason why you didn't let
    >>Windows
    >> manage the pagefile and leave it on the primary drive? More importantly,
    >> please tell us that H:\ is a local drive and not a network drive - if you
    >> are
    >> paging to a mapped drive, it would show exactly these symptoms.
    >> Hibernation
    >> uses hiberfil.sys (as paging uses pagefile.sys) and should also be on a
    >> local
    >> drive. If they are on a local drive, make sure that by some weird twist
    >> of
    >> fate your AV scanner is not scanning this file every time it is accessed.
    >> If
    >> the pagefile is located in an area the AV scanner is unaware of, it may
    >> be
    >> scanning the file every time you page.
    >>
    >> Mark

  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    Quoting from that article:

    "Move the pagefile off the disk that holds your system and boot
    partitions to another fast and dedicated hard disk".

    Dedicated means a second HD.

    "Remember that using another partition on the same SYSTEM or DATA
    HD will not improve your system's performance at all. To do that
    you'll need a separate fast HD, preferably connected to a
    different controller".

    Note "separate" and "different controller".

    Unless you've got a 2nd HD, you might want to move your page file
    back to C and reset it to "System managed size". Reboot and see
    how your system runs.
    --
    Nepatsfan
    "**LUCIF**" <Lucy512335456@mailHot.com> wrote in message
    > H:\ is on my local disk. I chose it after I made a drive speed
    > test by "Nero
    > 6.3" and found it the fastest one among C:\ , D:\, E:\ ....
    >
    > I did this after reading this article:
    > http://www.petri.co.il/pagefile_optimization.htm
    >
    > --------------------------------
    >
    > "Mark Stafford" <MarkStafford@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
    > in message
    >>A pagefile on H:\? Is there a particular reason why you didn't
    >>let Windows
    >> manage the pagefile and leave it on the primary drive? More
    >> importantly,
    >> please tell us that H:\ is a local drive and not a network
    >> drive - if you
    >> are
    >> paging to a mapped drive, it would show exactly these
    >> symptoms.
    >> Hibernation
    >> uses hiberfil.sys (as paging uses pagefile.sys) and should
    >> also be on a
    >> local
    >> drive. If they are on a local drive, make sure that by some
    >> weird twist
    >> of
    >> fate your AV scanner is not scanning this file every time it
    >> is accessed.
    >> If
    >> the pagefile is located in an area the AV scanner is unaware
    >> of, it may be
    >> scanning the file every time you page.
    >>
    >> Mark

  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    Both the Daniel Petrie article and the Knowledge Base Article, How to
    Configure Paging Files for Optimization and Recovery in Windows XP - 314482
    referenced in Daniel Petrie's article refer to moving the pagefile to a
    separate partition on a separate physical hard disk, not a separate
    partition from the boot drive on a single hard disk.

    --
    Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    Windows Shell/User
    Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
    DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/

    "**LUCIF**" <Lucy512335456@mailHot.com> wrote in message
    > H:\ is on my local disk. I chose it after I made a drive speed test by
    > "Nero
    > 6.3" and found it the fastest one among C:\ , D:\, E:\ ....
    >
    > I did this after reading this article:
    > http://www.petri.co.il/pagefile_optimization.htm
    >
    > --------------------------------
    >
    > "Mark Stafford" <MarkStafford@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >>A pagefile on H:\? Is there a particular reason why you didn't let
    >>Windows
    >> manage the pagefile and leave it on the primary drive? More importantly,
    >> please tell us that H:\ is a local drive and not a network drive - if you
    >> are
    >> paging to a mapped drive, it would show exactly these symptoms.
    >> Hibernation
    >> uses hiberfil.sys (as paging uses pagefile.sys) and should also be on a
    >> local
    >> drive. If they are on a local drive, make sure that by some weird twist
    >> of
    >> fate your AV scanner is not scanning this file every time it is accessed.
    >> If
    >> the pagefile is located in an area the AV scanner is unaware of, it may
    >> be
    >> scanning the file every time you page.
    >>
    >> Mark

  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    Michael

    Alex Nichol also makes the point that if this done you should leave a
    small pagefile in the system drive / partition.

    --

    Regards.

    Gerry

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    FCA

    Stourport, Worcs, England
    Enquire, plan and execute.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    > Both the Daniel Petrie article and the Knowledge Base Article, How to
    > Configure Paging Files for Optimization and Recovery in Windows XP -
    > 314482 referenced in Daniel Petrie's article refer to moving the
    > pagefile to a separate partition on a separate physical hard disk, not
    > a separate partition from the boot drive on a single hard disk.
    >
    > --
    > Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    > Windows Shell/User
    > https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/communities/mvp.aspx
    > Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
    > DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
    >

    > "**LUCIF**" <Lucy512335456@mailHot.com> wrote in message
    >> H:\ is on my local disk. I chose it after I made a drive speed test
    >> by "Nero
    >> 6.3" and found it the fastest one among C:\ , D:\, E:\ ....
    >>
    >> I did this after reading this article:
    >> http://www.petri.co.il/pagefile_optimization.htm
    >>
    >> --------------------------------
    >>
    >> "Mark Stafford" <MarkStafford@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    >> message
    >>>A pagefile on H:\? Is there a particular reason why you didn't let
    >>>Windows
    >>> manage the pagefile and leave it on the primary drive? More
    >>> importantly,
    >>> please tell us that H:\ is a local drive and not a network drive -
    >>> if you
    >>> are
    >>> paging to a mapped drive, it would show exactly these symptoms.
    >>> Hibernation
    >>> uses hiberfil.sys (as paging uses pagefile.sys) and should also be
    >>> on a
    >>> local
    >>> drive. If they are on a local drive, make sure that by some weird
    >>> twist
    >>> of
    >>> fate your AV scanner is not scanning this file every time it is
    >>> accessed.
    >>> If
    >>> the pagefile is located in an area the AV scanner is unaware of, it
    >>> may be
    >>> scanning the file every time you page.
    >>>
    >>> Mark

  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    Yes, that is true and it is not about that with which I'm taking issue. It
    is the implication of moving the pagefile to a separate parturition on the
    same physical hard disk with which I'm taking issue. The documentation
    clearly states it should be a separate physical hard drive.

    --

    "Gerry Cornell" <gcjc@tenretnitb.com> wrote in message
    > Michael
    >
    > Alex Nichol also makes the point that if this done you should leave a
    > small pagefile in the system drive / partition.
    >
    > --
    >

    > Regards.
    >
    > Gerry
    >
    > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    > FCA
    >
    > Stourport, Worcs, England
    > Enquire, plan and execute.
    > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    >

    > "Michael Solomon (MS-MVP)" <user@#notme.com> wrote in message
    >> Both the Daniel Petrie article and the Knowledge Base Article, How to
    >> Configure Paging Files for Optimization and Recovery in Windows XP -
    >> 314482 referenced in Daniel Petrie's article refer to moving the pagefile
    >> to a separate partition on a separate physical hard disk, not a separate
    >> partition from the boot drive on a single hard disk.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    >> Windows Shell/User
    >> https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/communities/mvp.aspx
    >> Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
    >> DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
    >>

    >> "**LUCIF**" <Lucy512335456@mailHot.com> wrote in message
    >>> H:\ is on my local disk. I chose it after I made a drive speed test by
    >>> "Nero
    >>> 6.3" and found it the fastest one among C:\ , D:\, E:\ ....
    >>>
    >>> I did this after reading this article:
    >>> http://www.petri.co.il/pagefile_optimization.htm
    >>>
    >>> --------------------------------
    >>>
    >>> "Mark Stafford" <MarkStafford@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    >>> message

  13. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    Michael

    That's the way I read it to!

    --

    Regards.

    Gerry

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    FCA

    Stourport, Worcs, England
    Enquire, plan and execute.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    > Yes, that is true and it is not about that with which I'm taking
    > issue. It is the implication of moving the pagefile to a separate
    > parturition on the same physical hard disk with which I'm taking
    > issue. The documentation clearly states it should be a separate
    > physical hard drive.
    >
    > --
    > Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    > Windows Shell/User
    > https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/communities/mvp.aspx
    > Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
    > DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
    >

    > "Gerry Cornell" <gcjc@tenretnitb.com> wrote in message
    >> Michael
    >>
    >> Alex Nichol also makes the point that if this done you should leave a
    >> small pagefile in the system drive / partition.
    >>
    >> --
    >>

    >> Regards.
    >>
    >> Gerry
    >>
    >> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    >> FCA
    >>
    >> Stourport, Worcs, England
    >> Enquire, plan and execute.
    >> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    >>

    >> "Michael Solomon (MS-MVP)" <user@#notme.com> wrote in message
    >>> Both the Daniel Petrie article and the Knowledge Base Article, How
    >>> to Configure Paging Files for Optimization and Recovery in Windows
    >>> XP - 314482 referenced in Daniel Petrie's article refer to moving
    >>> the pagefile to a separate partition on a separate physical hard
    >>> disk, not a separate partition from the boot drive on a single hard
    >>> disk.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    >>> Windows Shell/User
    >>> https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/communities/mvp.aspx
    >>> Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
    >>> DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
    >>>

    >>> "**LUCIF**" <Lucy512335456@mailHot.com> wrote in message

  14. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    I have reset the page file to C:\ and its size is the system default. No
    change in performance I see. Even after restarting...

    > Both the Daniel Petrie article and the Knowledge Base Article, How to
    > Configure Paging Files for Optimization and Recovery in Windows XP -
    > 314482 referenced in Daniel Petrie's article refer to moving the pagefile
    > to a separate partition on a separate physical hard disk, not a separate
    > partition from the boot drive on a single hard disk.
    >
    > --
    > Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    > Windows Shell/User
    > https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/communities/mvp.aspx
    > Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
    > DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
    >

    > "**LUCIF**" <Lucy512335456@mailHot.com> wrote in message
    >> H:\ is on my local disk. I chose it after I made a drive speed test by
    >> "Nero
    >> 6.3" and found it the fastest one among C:\ , D:\, E:\ ....
    >>
    >> I did this after reading this article:
    >> http://www.petri.co.il/pagefile_optimization.htm
    >>
    >> --------------------------------
    >>
    >> "Mark Stafford" <MarkStafford@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >>>A pagefile on H:\? Is there a particular reason why you didn't let
    >>>Windows
    >>> manage the pagefile and leave it on the primary drive? More
    >>> importantly,
    >>> please tell us that H:\ is a local drive and not a network drive - if
    >>> you
    >>> are
    >>> paging to a mapped drive, it would show exactly these symptoms.
    >>> Hibernation
    >>> uses hiberfil.sys (as paging uses pagefile.sys) and should also be on a
    >>> local
    >>> drive. If they are on a local drive, make sure that by some weird twist
    >>> of
    >>> fate your AV scanner is not scanning this file every time it is
    >>> accessed.
    >>> If
    >>> the pagefile is located in an area the AV scanner is unaware of, it may
    >>> be
    >>> scanning the file every time you page.
    >>>
    >>> Mark

  15. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    Try Ctrl+Alt+Delete to bring Task Manager and select the Process Tab.
    What is the Commit Charge?

    How is your page file managed?

    --

    Hope this helps.

    Gerry
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    FCA

    Using invalid email address

    Stourport, Worcs, England
    Enquire, plan and execute.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Please tell the newsgroup how any
    suggested solution worked for you.

    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    >I have reset the page file to C:\ and its size is the system default.
    >No change in performance I see. Even after restarting...
    >
    > "Michael Solomon (MS-MVP)" <user@#notme.com> wrote in message
    >> Both the Daniel Petrie article and the Knowledge Base Article, How to
    >> Configure Paging Files for Optimization and Recovery in Windows XP -
    >> 314482 referenced in Daniel Petrie's article refer to moving the
    >> pagefile to a separate partition on a separate physical hard disk,
    >> not a separate partition from the boot drive on a single hard disk.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    >> Windows Shell/User
    >> https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/communities/mvp.aspx
    >> Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
    >> DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
    >>

    >> "**LUCIF**" <Lucy512335456@mailHot.com> wrote in message
    >>> H:\ is on my local disk. I chose it after I made a drive speed test
    >>> by "Nero
    >>> 6.3" and found it the fastest one among C:\ , D:\, E:\ ....
    >>>
    >>> I did this after reading this article:
    >>> http://www.petri.co.il/pagefile_optimization.htm
    >>>
    >>> --------------------------------
    >>>
    >>> "Mark Stafford" <MarkStafford@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    >>> message

  16. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    That's only one step and one possible cause. Here are my original
    suggestion as follows:
> [...]

    > "Michael Solomon (MS-MVP)" <user@#notme.com> wrote in message
    >> Both the Daniel Petrie article and the Knowledge Base Article, How to
    >> Configure Paging Files for Optimization and Recovery in Windows XP -
    >> 314482 referenced in Daniel Petrie's article refer to moving the pagefile
    >> to a separate partition on a separate physical hard disk, not a separate
    >> partition from the boot drive on a single hard disk.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    >> Windows Shell/User
    >> https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/communities/mvp.aspx
    >> Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
    >> DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
    >>

    >> "**LUCIF**" <Lucy512335456@mailHot.com> wrote in message
    >>> H:\ is on my local disk. I chose it after I made a drive speed test by
    >>> "Nero
    >>> 6.3" and found it the fastest one among C:\ , D:\, E:\ ....

  17. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    Good, now we can look for problems without wondering if a non-default
    configuration is at fault. That helps in troubleshooting.

    "**LUCIF**" <Lucy512335456@mailHot.com> wrote in message
    >I have reset the page file to C:\ and its size is the system default. No
    >change in performance I see. Even after restarting...
    >
    > "Michael Solomon (MS-MVP)" <user@#notme.com> wrote in message
    >> Both the Daniel Petrie article and the Knowledge Base Article, How to
    >> Configure Paging Files for Optimization and Recovery in Windows XP -
    >> 314482 referenced in Daniel Petrie's article refer to moving the pagefile
    >> to a separate partition on a separate physical hard disk, not a separate
    >> partition from the boot drive on a single hard disk.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    >> Windows Shell/User
    >> https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/communities/mvp.aspx
    >> Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
    >> DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
    >>

    >> "**LUCIF**" <Lucy512335456@mailHot.com> wrote in message
    >>> H:\ is on my local disk. I chose it after I made a drive speed test by
    >>> "Nero
    >>> 6.3" and found it the fastest one among C:\ , D:\, E:\ ....
    >>>
    >>> I did this after reading this article:
    >>> http://www.petri.co.il/pagefile_optimization.htm
    >>>
    >>> --------------------------------
    >>>
    >>> "Mark Stafford" <MarkStafford@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    >>> message

  18. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 09:09:38 +0430, "**LUCIF**"

    >(Using XP Pro SP2 + .NET Framework 1.1.4322 + 256 Mb Ram + CPU 2.4 Intel +
    >PageFile 700Mb on H:\ )

    >After a "clean boot" everything runs at normal speed. Just then after
    >opening some programs , in a way that about 600 Mb of page file is used,
    >working with XP becomes really awful and slow, even after closing "ALL"
    >programs. The case is the same after Hibernation, and becomes worst and
    >worst after each Hibernation (Though my computer is totally virus free and
    >no program is opened by me).

    This is a fairly broad-scope, general problem and thus requires "the
    prelim", with particular respect to HD and malware exclusion. One has
    to wonder what backs up assertions of being "totally virus free" :-)

    >What can be wrong. I remember that I didn't have this problem when I was
    >using the first version of XP some years ago.

    The key seems to be HD access. Some slowdown may be from a pagefile
    that's fragmented or located "far up" the HD (i.e. on a 2nd physical
    HD that is slow, or on a logical volume on the same HD as C:, or one
    big C: with the pagefile at the end, after a lot of clutter).

    The "cost" of HD access may be increased in other ways, e.g. slower
    due to low-level hardware/driver issues, e.g. PIO vs. UDMA, use of
    40-pin rather than 80-pin data cable, etc.

    But the scary big satan would be a HD that is failing, causing
    multiple retries to access some sectors. This would give a patchy but
    profound performance impact, and there's the risk of data loss and
    system failure too. When the HD bogs down in retries, the mouse
    pointer will stick, keystrokes will be ignored, and the HD activity
    LED will be on. If the retries are within pagefile, then you can
    expect pain, even if you aren't bloating pagefile use via fast user
    switching, or fragging up C: via huge default IE cache.

    So: Exclude or address failing HD *first*. Only after that's safely
    excluded - and don't trust glib fast tests, shallow SMART reports or
    ChkDsk /R boasts of "fixing" bad clusters - is it safe to do anything
    else, especially a defrag.

    >------------ ----- ---- --- -- - - - -
    The most accurate diagnostic instrument
    in medicine is the Retrospectoscope
    >------------ ----- ---- --- -- - - - -
  19. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 23:42:26 +0430, "**LUCIF**"

    >H:\ is on my local disk. I chose it after I made a drive speed test by "Nero
    >6.3" and found it the fastest one among C:\ , D:\, E:\ ....

    >I did this after reading this article:
    >http://www.petri.co.il/pagefile_optimization.htm

    Ah. I'm wondering about Nero's test methodology; what may be fast
    when accessed alone may be slow when accessed concurrently with other
    volumes, when that involves head travel between these.

    Normally, the details of where drive letters actually are is hidden
    and irrelevant, but when going for performance, you need to keep those
    details in mind. Let's say C:, D:, E:, F:, G:, H: are all logical
    volumes on the same physical HD, created in order with these sizes:

    C----D--E----------F-------G----H--

    D: and H: may be equally fast, when accessed alone, as they are small
    tight volumes. But in the context of constant accesses to C:, D: can
    bve expected to be way faster than H: because the head travel is less,
    between C: and D:, than between C: and H:

    If OTOH the drive letters are not in order...

    C----H--E----------F-------G----D--

    ....then the reverse might apply.

    Let real-world mileage be your guide - and I suspect you'd find the
    fastest volumes in the following 2 x HD scenario would be C: and D:

    HD1 C----E----------F-------G----
    HD2 D---H--------------------------

    >---------------- ----- ---- --- -- - - - -
    Cats have 9 lives, which makes them
    ideal for experimentation!
    >---------------- ----- ---- --- -- - - - -
  20. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    What "kind of" anti-virus software are you using? I used Norton System Works
    for awhile and my computer suddenly slowed down. I ran Norton anti-virus and
    it did NOT find any viruses but I purchased and ran V-Com System Suite 5 and
    it found SEVERAL viruses that Norton missed and it was able to clean them up
    and my computer has been running great for quite a while now. I also
    purchased Webroot SpySweeper and it finds Trojans and malware. V-Com and
    Webroot together make a very powerful package that definitely aids in finding
    all kinds of viruses and Trojans.
    Again, "What "kind of" anti-virus software are you using?" It's possible
    that you may have a Trojan.

    "**LUCIF**" wrote:

    > (Using XP Pro SP2 + .NET Framework 1.1.4322 + 256 Mb Ram + CPU 2.4 Intel +
    > PageFile 700Mb on H:\ )
    >
    > After a "clean boot" everything runs at normal speed. Just then after
    > opening some programs , in a way that about 600 Mb of page file is used,
    > working with XP becomes really awful and slow, even after closing "ALL"
    > programs. The case is the same after Hibernation, and becomes worst and
    > worst after each Hibernation (Though my computer is totally virus free and
    > no program is opened by me).
    > What can be wrong. I remember that I didn't have this problem when I was
    > using the first version of XP some years ago.
    > Thanks for any help.

  21. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    What is running in the background? Read the logfile from here and evaluate:
    http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/StartupTracker3.zip

    --
    In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol: http://www.dts-l.org/

    All the Best,
    Kelly (MS-MVP)

    Troubleshooting Windows XP
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

    "Bob" <Bob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > What "kind of" anti-virus software are you using? I used Norton System
    > Works
    > for awhile and my computer suddenly slowed down. I ran Norton anti-virus
    > and
    > it did NOT find any viruses but I purchased and ran V-Com System Suite 5
    > and
    > it found SEVERAL viruses that Norton missed and it was able to clean them
    > up
    > and my computer has been running great for quite a while now. I also
    > purchased Webroot SpySweeper and it finds Trojans and malware. V-Com and
    > Webroot together make a very powerful package that definitely aids in
    > finding
    > all kinds of viruses and Trojans.
    > Again, "What "kind of" anti-virus software are you using?" It's possible
    > that you may have a Trojan.
    >
    > "**LUCIF**" wrote:
    >
    >> (Using XP Pro SP2 + .NET Framework 1.1.4322 + 256 Mb Ram + CPU 2.4 Intel
    >> +
    >> PageFile 700Mb on H:\ )
    >>
    >> After a "clean boot" everything runs at normal speed. Just then after
    >> opening some programs , in a way that about 600 Mb of page file is used,
    >> working with XP becomes really awful and slow, even after closing "ALL"
    >> programs. The case is the same after Hibernation, and becomes worst and
    >> worst after each Hibernation (Though my computer is totally virus free
    >> and
    >> no program is opened by me).
    >> What can be wrong. I remember that I didn't have this problem when I was
    >> using the first version of XP some years ago.
    >> Thanks for any help.

Microsoft Windows XP