seasonic s12 430 enough for my new build????

funknoobiest

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2007
Hi
my new budget build will consist of :
E4300 (will oc on stock cooling)
gigabyte 945p s3 mobo
ati x1950 pro
2 x 512rmb corsair xms ( eventually 4 x 512 rmb)
segate harddrive ide
dvd rw
the usuall usb's etc..
the seasonic s12-430 specs are +12v1 14a and 12v2 15a giving combined 348w on the rails

will this be enough for my build
thax in advance

for non-oc I can't imagine needing over +12@14A so 18A would be my bare-min... OCing would bring it up to ~16A demand/20A recommended.

The psu I like to give no more than 80% on the max rating so ~23A would be a good comforatble max - looks like you are in good shape 8)

windex

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
My point is right now the watts are tight i feel it will be running under load there fore more heat fan runs louder and system is unstable.

And anyways he's going to up grade the video card and prob add an extra hard drive etc.

then he would have wasted his money come on you know 400 watts these days is nothing also i appriciate the helpfull links thsi is verry true sometimes its not all watts that count thats why im recomending a high quality upgradeable psu.

why waste money on something that is not goping to be enough.

Power supplies are so important pepole don't realize over kill is great the higher the watts the less stress load then the psu will run under light load will not heat up and the fan will remain quiet.

To me the psu is the sytems stability im so picky right down to the screws i need to know what fan is in there what is the deciabal rating is it a sleeve bearing or ball bearing all these things are important.

For me there are 3 quiet psu out there i like
rated number #1 QTechnology
#2 NesteQ

AND for modular the Zalman 600 hp

now for more power but theye are a bit louder Enermax.

Seasonic, antec i dont care for specialy Antec seasonic is oka but i would rather get something easle for the money.

This is the ticket for me

http://www.acousticpc.com/qtechnology_560_watt_dust_proof_psu.html

I first I thought the same thing (that 430w is not enough for upgrades), but the selection of 4300/2x512/x1950pro hinted toward a budget build so I didn't mention anything beyond a quick yes/no analysis...

Maybe OP will take that into consideration now and mention upgrades or budget or both :wink:

gigabyte 945p s3 mobo

2 x 512rmb corsair xms ( eventually 4 x 512 rmb)

Based on some user reviews of the Gigabyte 945P S3, that motherboard only seems to be able to support 1.8v RAM and there is no option to increase the RAM voltage.

Corsair XMS RAM needs a minimum of 1.9v and upwards of 2.4v depending on which model you buy. Only the Corsair Value Series needs v1.8v. I suggest you spend extra money for the GIGABYTE GA-965P-S3 LGA for better RAM support and overclocking capabilites.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16813128017

sailer

Splendid
Noting what others have said, and I agree that your present psu choice will power your present build, I'd still lean to buying something in the range of 500-550wts so to allow room for future expansion. The larger psu doesn't cost much more and it will be cheaper to buy one larger psu now then to buy the one you picked and then have to buy a larger one in the future. Just a thought, that's all.

windex

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
Sailer has go it the more power the better i say 600 at least with todays demanding need for more power.

and let it be a Qtechnology , Zalman , or Enermax

the seasonic s12-430 specs are +12v1 14a and 12v2 15a giving combined 348w on the rails

will this be enough for my build
thax in advance

The Seasonic S12 430 is powerful enough for the following build (assuming every single component is stressed):

X6800........................................................66w CPU Power Consumption Chart
8800GTX...................................................145w GPU Power Consumption Chart
2 Hard Drives..............................................32w
1 DVD Drive................................................16w
2 120mm Case fans.....................................12w
1 120mm CPU fan.........................................6w

Total max power consumption on 12v rail......277w
Total max amp consumption on 12v rail.........23.08a

Note: The 145w for the 8800GTX is nVidia's estimate, it is not an actual power measurement. On the bright side, nVidia's power estimate for the 7950 GX2 is 143w, while the actual power measurement is 110w.

According the the Inquirer (everyone knows they are ALWAYS 100% correct) it is rumored that nVidia will skip G81 and head straight to G90. The 8800 series is G80. G90 is supposed to be a die shrink from 90nm down to 65nm. That basically means a powerful GPU that uses less power and generate less heat.

Therefore, by the time you upgrade to the "revised 8800GTX", it should consume less power.

http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=37791

windex

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
To each is own

but not just your componets are going to be hungry.

but you may run into instability probs or maybe not but im sure the psu is going to run loud and hot and there will be no room for future expansion.

Its like a waste of money you could prob get at leat a 550 for couple aof bucks more

windex

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
also remeber even if future components use less watts what if yiou want to other things extra drives whatever and with a psu overkill is good im into quiet so i use low noise fans and heat sometimes is an issue so i try to use stable quiet power.

Thats my view anyway.

My example merely shows what the Seasonic S12 430 is capable of handling. Also note that while gaming the hard drives and DVD drive inactive most of the time so actual power consumption is less than max.

Seasonic PSUs are known for their stability, so that really is not an issue. Their PSUs are also very quiet, in fact the S12 430 it is quieter than the more powerful S12 500 and S12 600 PSUs for any given load.

Noise measurements from SilentPCReview:

Seasonic S12 430

Seasonic S12 500 & 600

From loads of 65w up to 300w, the Seasonic S12 430 hands down makes less noise than the more powerful S12 PSUs. Therefore, just because a PSU is larger doesn't mean it will produce less noise than a less powerful PSU at a given load.

Even when the S12 430 is maxed out with a 430w load, it still produces less noise than the S12 500/600 with a 400w load.

windex

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
Thats funny the nexus is louder than the seasonic i can assure you mike chin is mistaken or his cables are crossed.

while im not a nexus fan but it is a oka psu from last time i checked they both use yate loons fans nexus and seasonic except the nexus is running it at a lower speed so how can it be louder anyway ive heard them both real world and the nexus is quiter i dont trus these review sittes anymore.

Hand down you want the most quiet & efficient psu all at the same time Qtechnology thats the ticket.

It is possible the 430w seasonic has superior fan controller circuitry over other brands, even higher wattage seasonic models in the same lineage.

A better PWM controlled signal can reduce fan noise significantly.

windex

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
funknoobiest,

I belive you should step it up a notch and go with 500 or 600 watt psu so you can make sure yiour system is stable and have soem breathing room not run the psu at full load all the time 348 to 430 are too close for comfort its possilble it will handle it but for a few bucks more its worth it plus you have room for expansion

funknoobiest

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2007
thanks for your thoughts guys
ok so the seasonic os fine for now,but not enought for future upgrades,how about a hiper r type 580 w? there about the same price as the seasonic where im @
and unfortanetly i have already purchased the 945p s3 mobo,would that xms ram @ 1.9 volts not work @ all??? if not what would u recomend?
more thinkgs to think about!!! :roll:

funknoobiest

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2007
yeah i did look @ them links before, i will go back and see whats on offer from the the uk list :)
back to memory i might go with a pair of geil stciks anyway,and the run @ 1.8v
im not to worried about oc mem too much as the upgrade will be heaven as it it compared to this dinosaur im on now
p4 2.6
512 ddr (pc2100) dont laugh,it not funny
x800 pro