Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Update: Has my old Prescott 2.8ghz some juice left?

Last response: in Overclocking
Share
February 23, 2007 3:02:33 PM

Hello fellas,

I'ts been a while since my las post but i'ts been a pain in the axe to get a good MoBo for my rig since the other deceased.

My system:
Socket 478 Pentium 4 "Prescott" (2.8 Ghz, 533Mhz FSB and 21x multiplier) http://processorfinder.intel.com/details.aspx?sSpec=SL7K9#
Cooler Master Jet 4 HSF
AsRock P4i65G http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Model=P4i65G
Seagate Barracuda 30 gb eide
Kingston ValueRam 333MHz 256mb + 128mb sticks
No video card yet AGP slot

The thing is I want to OC my rig but i'm being advised against buying faster RAM by the vendor and by other people for they say the FSB won't let me run it. But since i'm ocing isn't the upping of the FSB enough to make the aquisition of ddr 400 worth it? Even more since it'll be 2 1gb sticks in dual channel?

Please don't give me "fuggeddaboudit" advises about changing the CPU, prices are outrageous where I live for C2D CPUs and won't change it until prices drop.

Also, advises for AGP GPUs and SATA drives will be surely thanked.

Saludos
February 24, 2007 5:33:29 AM

If your RAM bus maximum on the mobo is 333MHz and you stick 400MHz RAM into it, all that will happen is you develop more OC headroom on your RAM. More precisely, the 400MHz RAM will run at 333MHz.

The only time I remember running into memory speed/timing issues on desktops was in the good ol' SDRAM days, when one had to pay attention to PC66, PC100 and PC133 RAM - motherboards were really picky back then, until they introduced SPD (Serial Presence Detect), a little chip with RAM timings and settings encoded into it on the DIMM itself.

Laptops were also very picky, and still are AFAIK.

Hope this helps.
February 24, 2007 6:43:36 AM

Personally I also remember the SDRAM days, and my Abit BH6 could run pretty much any RAM stick at whatever clock speed I wanted (PC66@110, now that's an overclock!).
The biggest overclocking problem you may have is that your P4 won't clock much higher, and considering its awful instruction per clock ratio, your 3.2 GHz P4 (top overclock you may get without watercooling) won't beat a Sempron64 2800+ on socket 754 - which uses DDR too, can still be overclocked, and could be found for (CPU+mobo) less than 80 bucks for the whole kit + shipping.
The latter would also run MUCH cooler and spare your PSU - and power bill.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
February 24, 2007 7:32:45 AM

Quote:
Personally I also remember the SDRAM days, and my Abit BH6 could run pretty much any RAM stick at whatever clock speed I wanted (PC66@110, now that's an overclock!).
The biggest overclocking problem you may have is that your P4 won't clock much higher, and considering its awful instruction per clock ratio, your 3.2 GHz P4 (top overclock you may get without watercooling) won't beat a Sempron64 2800+ on socket 754 - which uses DDR too, can still be overclocked, and could be found for (CPU+mobo) less than 80 bucks for the whole kit + shipping.
The latter would also run MUCH cooler and spare your PSU - and power bill.
Actually, with a good mobo, and great cooling, his CPU is a great overclocker. I have the same one, but the 2.4GHz version, and on air, and a P4C800E-Deluxe..i've had it to 3.96GHz(pretty stable) and 3906 stable. Unfortunately my new house is warmer and it stays at 3726 stable. The 2.8's with good cooling/mobo were hitting 4GHz and slightly over. Even though they don't have HT, they still work pretty well for single-core at 3.6 and up. :) 
February 24, 2007 7:59:03 AM

For overclocking, you would be best off getting DDR400/PC3200 ram. You don't need anything faster since you probably won't reach 200MHz system clock. If you stick with DDR333/PC2700 you will be limiting your overclock or you will have to change the memory divider which will wast some of your CPU performance.

I'm still running a socket 478 system. I've got a Northwood 2.8C @ 3.5GHz on stock voltage 8) Unfortunately, I don't have DDR500 RAM so I have to use a memory divider. I'm considering going back and experimenting how high I can get my memory to overclock because I know that the memory speed is holding the system back. Maybe after I graduate from college in June :D 
February 24, 2007 8:32:16 AM

You should get a performance increase by just updating the RAM to either 2 x 256MB DDR400 or 2 x 512MB RAM (Board supports it and in most case's backward compatible, and cheaper then DDR333). Also getting even a mid range video card will make noticeable difference without over clocking. :D 

Then if you still want that can be done latter 8)
February 24, 2007 8:38:13 AM

No. Save your money.
February 25, 2007 3:34:38 PM

When you talk about a memory divider, do you mean to change the FSB:D RAM ratio in the BIOS, or is it something else, like maybe you have to change a jumper setting.
February 25, 2007 7:34:29 PM

Quote:
When you talk about a memory divider, do you mean to change the FSB:D RAM ratio in the BIOS, or is it something else, like maybe you have to change a jumper setting.
That's right. Most BIOS' will use a RAM-speed #...

i.e. For DDR400 some settings in BIOS might be like this:
500MHz
400MHz
333MHz..Select
266MHz
Divide the selected number by 400 to give the new speed.
i.e. 333MHz/400=.8325. Now multiply this by your new FSB to get real RAM speed.
Another example: 333 FSB:RAM setting with an O/Ced FSB of 250MHz means the RAM is running @ 208MHz. GL :) 
February 26, 2007 5:21:00 PM

Thanks 1Tanker. I'm still learning...
February 26, 2007 5:44:44 PM

Quote:
Personally I also remember the SDRAM days, and my Abit BH6 could run pretty much any RAM stick at whatever clock speed I wanted (PC66@110, now that's an overclock!).
The biggest overclocking problem you may have is that your P4 won't clock much higher, and considering its awful instruction per clock ratio, your 3.2 GHz P4 (top overclock you may get without watercooling) won't beat a Sempron64 2800+ on socket 754 - which uses DDR too, can still be overclocked, and could be found for (CPU+mobo) less than 80 bucks for the whole kit + shipping.
The latter would also run MUCH cooler and spare your PSU - and power bill.


You need to read Tom's $300 computer comparo. A 3.2Ghz Celeron handily beat a Sempron 3400+ in those benchmarks.
February 27, 2007 3:54:34 PM

Sorry for the delay guys, look like my latest replies weren't posted correctly.

For sure I am going to pump the memory up to 2 gigs on dual channel @ 400MHz. Spare parts can always fit in my backup rig (an ancient Athlon XP 2000+) :twisted: .

I succesfully stressed my rig up to 3.57 Ghz with the old MoBo (a cheapazaki PCChips m909g) but since the mobo didn't had any kind of pci/agp frecuency lock I ended up busting the onboard graphics and agp slot. The price for knowledge I suppose :p  .

My temps have always been pretty low. According to Speed Fan Temps 1 and 2 where always in the 35 - 38 C and up to 47 C on heavy load, Temp 3 was rock solid on 62 and unmovable independent of load and oc level.

I can wait to get my hands on the new MoBo, it should be arriving any day.
March 10, 2007 3:48:20 AM

Quote:
Sorry for the delay guys, look like my latest replies weren't posted correctly.

For sure I am going to pump the memory up to 2 gigs on dual channel @ 400MHz. Spare parts can always fit in my backup rig (an ancient Athlon XP 2000+) :twisted: .

I succesfully stressed my rig up to 3.57 Ghz with the old MoBo (a cheapazaki PCChips m909g) but since the mobo didn't had any kind of pci/agp frecuency lock I ended up busting the onboard graphics and agp slot. The price for knowledge I suppose :p  .

My temps have always been pretty low. According to Speed Fan Temps 1 and 2 where always in the 35 - 38 C and up to 47 C on heavy load, Temp 3 was rock solid on 62 and unmovable independent of load and oc level.

I can wait to get my hands on the new MoBo, it should be arriving any day.


Sadly, my MoBo has been backordered till the second coming :(  , so I ended up buying an Albatron PM800 Pro V2 so I just dropped the dual channel option. Gratefully this MoBo can set the FSB by the MHz fractions! and comes with a massive northbridge HS. I'm still struggling with the settings, for I can't find the AGP/PCI frequency lock, by the way... Is a 38 MHz PCI frecuency that bad?

I'm fiddling with the settings using a couple of spare memory sticks (266Mhz) and i'm more amused than amazed that i've been able to crank up these cheap kingston sticks almost to 300 Mhz and still run prime95 without problems for hours. I haven't messed with the voltage controls, and i'm not going to do it for i'd rather wait till my 400Mhz corsairs with extra low latency arrive. I hope these help me compensate for the lack of dual channel.

Temp on full load builds up to 60º C and idle up to 38º, how high should i go? Thermal spec for my CPU is 69.1 º C. Rig must work for at least 1 more year till a new one can be built from scratch.
!