Cheap PCIE Video Card prevent me from overclocking system?

dvdapex

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2007
I'm considering building a new system, but I want to keep costs down as much as possible (by eliminating things I don't need, not skimping on parts that are necessary).

I'm looking at the following MB / CPU combo:
Intel Core Duo 2 6300
Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3

It is my understanding that they're very good for overclocking.

Now, here's the hitch: I have to get a PCIE card but NEVER do any gaming (3D games give me motion sickness). If I buy a cheap PCIE card like a BIOSTAR V7102GL13 GeForce 7100GS, will I still be able to successfully overclock the CPU? Could I go even cheaper and just use an old PCI video card?

Will the Ultra V Series 500W PSU I have be okay for the project?

TIA

Redline24

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2006
I'd go with the 7100GS, and make sure it has at least 128MB memory, on-board. This way you can use Aero when/if you decide to purchase Vista. It might not seem as snappy if you use an old PCI video card, especially if it is 2MB or less. It wouldn't prevent you from overclocking your system, as long as your PCI bus is locked (and I believe both PCI-E/PCI buses are locked on the DS3)

Not sure about the PSU. Wattage is fine, but how's the 12V rail raiting? 18V or so?

dvdapex

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2007
Thanks. I have no plans to go to Vista until I'm forced kicking and screaming. :)

As far as the PSU, I read "the +12V rail provides 28 Amps".

I use the system for ripping my personal dvd collection to Xvids, raring and unraring files and buring DVDs.

So, it's probably stupid for me to even spend money on this system over my AMD XP 2700 that does just fine, but I'm hoping to spend less time watching progress bars (and also to repurpose my current MB and CPU for a file server).