Quickie CD Driver(s) question

Hiya,

Just a quick question about CD Drivers.

I want to format my hard drive and reinstall Windows 2000 Pro (drastic I
know, but after 2 months of battling with problems - initially caused by
viruses before I got my firewall - it seems to be the easiest option).

I know from reading some of these posts that I can begin the CD setup and
delete the existing partition. However if the partition is deleted and I
restart the PC, how does it know how to read the CD?

Bear in mind that the last OS I installed was Win95 where I had to copy the
CD drivers onto a floppy. Then boot from the floppy to install the drivers
before I could run the setup on the CD. That's probably old-hat now and CD
interfaces are standardised, dunno, that's why I'm asking ;-)

Cheers

Rob
4 answers Last reply
More about quickie driver question

    How old is your PC and how is the CD ROM connected?

    For most modern PCs, there is a BIOS setting that sets the order in which
    drives are tried for boot. For example, mine is currently set to
    "CDROM,C,A" although "C,A" is a very common setting. Gues what, with "C,A",
    there is not attempt to boot direct from CD-ROM ;-).

    If you check the BIOS and enable the CDROM boot option, you should be able
    to insert the Windows 2000 CD and reboot - it should boot! Clearly you can
    try this even before you "trash" your machine since you don't have to
    install - you can "CANCEL" and leave the PC untouched.

    Another great feature is the ability to boot into Knoppix like this
    (http://www.knoppix.org). This allows you to play around with Linux a
    little without installing on you PC!

    Hope this helps,
    Paul DS.

    "Bounty Bob" <BountyBob@baesystems.company> wrote in message
    > Hiya,
    >
    > Just a quick question about CD Drivers.
    >
    > I want to format my hard drive and reinstall Windows 2000 Pro (drastic I
    > know, but after 2 months of battling with problems - initially caused by
    > viruses before I got my firewall - it seems to be the easiest option).
    >
    > I know from reading some of these posts that I can begin the CD setup and
    > delete the existing partition. However if the partition is deleted and I
    > restart the PC, how does it know how to read the CD?
    >
    > Bear in mind that the last OS I installed was Win95 where I had to copy
    the
    > CD drivers onto a floppy. Then boot from the floppy to install the
    drivers
    > before I could run the setup on the CD. That's probably old-hat now and
    CD
    > interfaces are standardised, dunno, that's why I'm asking ;-)
    >
    > Cheers
    >
    > Rob

    > How old is your PC and how is the CD ROM connected?
    >
    > For most modern PCs, there is a BIOS setting that sets the order in which
    > drives are tried for boot. For example, mine is currently set to
    > "CDROM,C,A" although "C,A" is a very common setting. Gues what, with
    "C,A",
    > there is not attempt to boot direct from CD-ROM ;-).
    >
    > If you check the BIOS and enable the CDROM boot option, you should be able
    > to insert the Windows 2000 CD and reboot - it should boot! Clearly you
    can
    > try this even before you "trash" your machine since you don't have to
    > install - you can "CANCEL" and leave the PC untouched.
    >
    > Another great feature is the ability to boot into Knoppix like this
    > (http://www.knoppix.org). This allows you to play around with Linux a
    > little without installing on you PC!
    >
    > Hope this helps,
    > Paul DS.

    Yeah, I've got the BIOS set to boot from CD and it boots OK. I just assumed
    that the CD driver files were read from the HD. So are modern CD Roms built
    to a standard with a standard interfaces, etc? Like I said before, I'm used
    to having to copy drivers onto a system floppy and boot using it, and then
    install the CD Rom drivers.

    Bob

    If you have Win2k installed on your PC already, there
    should be no problems.

    Follow these steps:

    Boot from Win2k CD.
    Choose new installation.
    Delete existing partions.
    Create new partition.
    Choose file format (FAT32 or NTFS).
    Sit back and wait.

    Win2k will install a driver for your CD.

    Good luck
    Paul

    There is a standard interface to IDE based CD-ROMs and a standardized CD
    format with a special "bootable" section. Don't ask me how it works, it
    just does and I've also found this very useful!

    If you're interested to find out, look for "el Torrito" (yes, really) on the
    web.

    > > How old is your PC and how is the CD ROM connected?
    > >
    > > For most modern PCs, there is a BIOS setting that sets the order in
    which
    > > drives are tried for boot. For example, mine is currently set to
    > > "CDROM,C,A" although "C,A" is a very common setting. Gues what, with
    > "C,A",
    > > there is not attempt to boot direct from CD-ROM ;-).
    > >
    > > If you check the BIOS and enable the CDROM boot option, you should be
    able
    > > to insert the Windows 2000 CD and reboot - it should boot! Clearly you
    > can
    > > try this even before you "trash" your machine since you don't have to
    > > install - you can "CANCEL" and leave the PC untouched.
    > >
    > > Another great feature is the ability to boot into Knoppix like this
    > > (http://www.knoppix.org). This allows you to play around with Linux a
    > > little without installing on you PC!
    > >
    > > Hope this helps,
    > > Paul DS.
    >
    > Yeah, I've got the BIOS set to boot from CD and it boots OK. I just
    assumed
    > that the CD driver files were read from the HD. So are modern CD Roms
    built
    > to a standard with a standard interfaces, etc? Like I said before, I'm
    used
    > to having to copy drivers onto a system floppy and boot using it, and then
    > install the CD Rom drivers.

CD-Rom Windows