Ideal Moves...

Hi...I've just decided on a party but I'm a real newbie so I have no idea
what moves to teach it so if someone could suggest a move list that can
waste in link cable battles, that would be great.

I've chosen:

Alakazam, Donphan, Salamance, Magneton. I've also chosen Blaziken and Kyogre
which I can take care of.

Thanks, Glenn.

"Glenn T" <glenntno1@ihug.co.nz> wrote in message news:<ccvoll$ram$1@lust.ihug.co.nz>...
> Hi...I've just decided on a party but I'm a real newbie so I have no idea
> what moves to teach it so if someone could suggest a move list that can
> waste in link cable battles, that would be great.
>
> I've chosen:
>
> Alakazam, Donphan, Salamance, Magneton. I've also chosen Blaziken and Kyogre
> which I can take care of.
>
> Thanks, Glenn.

There's not necessarily an ideal moveset for any particular Pokémon,
but I can at least give you an idea of what will work. I'm not sure
what level you're looking at here, so if any of the Pokémon haven't
learned these moves yet, just say so.

Alakazam: The trouble with Alakazam is that he hasn't changed much
since the old Red/Blue days, so everyone knows how to take him out,
and he's lost a few of the advantages he gained in Gold/Silver (anyone
else miss the elemental punch TMs?). As a psychic attacker, though,
he's still strong, and he's gotten some nice moves lately. His first
three moves are easy: Psychic, Calm Mind, and Recover (according to
pokefor.tk, he learns all three naturally). For the fourth move, I'd
suggest Reflect, since his Defense is crudmuffin.

Donphan: I never really raised this guy back in G/S, and my lack of
experience shows. Rollout of course, and probably Earthquake (don't
waste the TM, he learns it at level 49). For a third, you might try
Defense Curl for its interaction with Rollout, but I'm not sure if
it's worth the trouble. In the fourth slot you could go with a lot of
things... Double Team is pretty commonly used on just about anything,
for instance. (And for that reason, Odor Sleuth might also be a good
idea.)

Salamence: I'm one of the few people who give this guy any kind of
respect at all--I had good luck with him on Mt. Battle in Coli. If
he's going to be a high enough level to learn Dragon Claw naturally,
give it to him. (If he's not, consider just giving him Dragonbreath
instead. It's weaker, but it can paralyze, and you won't be wasting a
rare TM. But I'm paranoid about such things, so...) Flamethrower is
a common choice, but I'd skip it this time since you have a Fire-type
on your team. Instead give him Crunch and a strong physical move
(Double-Edge if high enough, otherwise look at your TMs). For the
fourth, try something like Protect (very irritating to your opponent)
or Scary Face. Or you could always give him Flamethrower after all.

Magneton: And this is one of my favorites. Lately I've been going
with Thunderbolt/Thunder (depending on my mood :p), Metal Sound,
Thunder Wave, and a fourth move that varies. Double Team is a decent
option, and Screech is useful in two-on-two battles, to get you
started.

Hope that helps.

-Andrusi &&
Sanity not included.

"Glenn T" <glenntno1@ihug.co.nz> wrote in message
> Hi...I've just decided on a party but I'm a real newbie so I have no idea
> what moves to teach it so if someone could suggest a move list that can
> waste in link cable battles, that would be great.

Movesets are a very personal choice, I find. There's no such thing as a
"perfect moveset", and one person could destroy a team with a Pokémon that
someone else would find dead in seconds. It's a question of understanding
moves and Pokémon, and settling on something you're comfortable with.

For instance, the move Agility - which greatly boosts Speed - is generally
considered an excellent move, but I personally don't often like using it.
This isn't because I think it's a bad move, but just that in practice, I'm
not a very good judge of when it should be used.

The starting point for designing a moveset, I find, is to search the
Pokémon's name in Google. If you're lucky, results will include a full list
of moves they can learn as well as maybe one or two sites offering moveset
ideas. There's a pretty good section of a site I've found a few times
(might be IGN, but don't quote me on that) where someone rates a different
Pokémon every day, discussing strengths and weaknesses. I don't read these
every day, of course, but it's nice to find them for specific monsters.

> I've chosen:
>
> Alakazam

Aha, I found the site.

http://faqs.ign.com//articles/388/388623p1.html

It offers Counter/Reflect/Recover/Psychic, but note that this is for GSC.

> Donphan

Nothing found on the site.

> Salamance

Nothing, but Shelgon's there.

http://faqs.ign.com/articles/426/426982p1.html

Scary Face/Brick Break/Double Edge/Rest.

> Magneton.

Found Magnemite.

http://faqs.ign.com//articles/372/372575p1.html

Thunder Wave/Rain Dance/Thunder/Protect.

Again, this is a GSC moveset.

http://faqs.ign.com//articles/422/422773p1.html

http://faqs.ign.com//articles/424/424381p1.html

> which I can take care of.

Oh, all right. O:)

So, yeah, we'll gladly rate anything you make up yourself, but asking for
movesets here probably won't get you the answers you want.

--
Steffan

Thanks for the help guys...Greatly appreciated, thanks, Glenn