The Speed of Storage Cards

a b G Storage
May 23, 2005 3:58:32 PM

I wonder if anyone can help with this?

When you add a storage card to your PDA say a SD or CF card, I understand
that these cards run at different speeds depending on how much money you
want to spend on them.

I have seen them at up to "x40" speed on the "professional ones" used in
digital photography, and they are more expensive. I have a lot of programs
on my ipaq 4700 and use the CF and SD cards to store them and also most of
the data I hold. I currently have a 512MB CF Card which I am thinking about
upgrading to a 1GB card as I have started using the DVD--PPC program and can
watch DVD movies/programs on the ipaq. If the card runs too slow would this
effect the performance of the programs and the video run from the card, and
therefore should I get the fastest card I can for the ipaq?

Is there an optimum size and speed for these cards for the PPC anyway, in
other words no point in buying a very fast card because the connection with
the PPC itself will bottleneck it beyond a certain speed?

Best Regards Rowan

More about : speed storage cards

Anonymous
a b G Storage
May 23, 2005 3:58:33 PM

Rowan,

The biggest bottle neck on P/PCs is the card reader interface within the
device itself. I've used the 40x cards and I've found no difference at all
when using the same device.

Regards,

--
Clinton Fitch
Senior Editor / Owner

"Rowan Healey" <rowan.healey@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
news:D 6sgh8$scd$1@nwrdmz02.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com...
>I wonder if anyone can help with this?
>
> When you add a storage card to your PDA say a SD or CF card, I understand
> that these cards run at different speeds depending on how much money you
> want to spend on them.
>
> I have seen them at up to "x40" speed on the "professional ones" used in
> digital photography, and they are more expensive. I have a lot of programs
> on my ipaq 4700 and use the CF and SD cards to store them and also most of
> the data I hold. I currently have a 512MB CF Card which I am thinking
> about
> upgrading to a 1GB card as I have started using the DVD--PPC program and
> can
> watch DVD movies/programs on the ipaq. If the card runs too slow would
> this
> effect the performance of the programs and the video run from the card,
> and
> therefore should I get the fastest card I can for the ipaq?
>
> Is there an optimum size and speed for these cards for the PPC anyway, in
> other words no point in buying a very fast card because the connection
> with
> the PPC itself will bottleneck it beyond a certain speed?
>

> Best Regards Rowan

Anonymous
a b G Storage
May 23, 2005 5:48:29 PM

Check http://www.choirguy.com/memory.pdf for a whole bunch of card
benckmarks run on Axims (link from aximsite). Your device is pretty much the
bottleneck for all but the slower cards, there's no apparent performance
increase between a 32x card and a 70x card.

Tony

Rowan Healey wrote:
> I wonder if anyone can help with this?
>
> When you add a storage card to your PDA say a SD or CF card, I
> understand that these cards run at different speeds depending on how
> much money you want to spend on them.
>
> I have seen them at up to "x40" speed on the "professional ones" used
> in digital photography, and they are more expensive. I have a lot of
> programs on my ipaq 4700 and use the CF and SD cards to store them
> and also most of the data I hold. I currently have a 512MB CF Card
> which I am thinking about upgrading to a 1GB card as I have started
> using the DVD--PPC program and can watch DVD movies/programs on the
> ipaq. If the card runs too slow would this effect the performance of
> the programs and the video run from the card, and therefore should I
> get the fastest card I can for the ipaq?
>
> Is there an optimum size and speed for these cards for the PPC
> anyway, in other words no point in buying a very fast card because
> the connection with the PPC itself will bottleneck it beyond a
> certain speed?
>

> Best Regards Rowan
a b G Storage
May 23, 2005 5:48:30 PM

My experience is speed does matter. And not all 40x speed cards are equal,
just to pick a number at random. Some cards increase write speed, but at the
cost of read speed. For most PocketPC users it will be read speed that
actually matters. As a general rule the data will be written once, and
potentially read many more times, unlike the *normal* use of a camera where
it normally is written to storage and then move to another device to be
displayed or edited.

The type of files you create will also make a difference, as many little
files, will require a faster card than three or four very big files will.
Just having a very large number of files on a big card can slow your
PocketPC down as it scans the card in the back ground at what will appear to
the user as random times. Often this can be confused as having your PocketPC
locked up (or frozen). When if you just gave your PocketPC a few minutes you
would find it is again working.

--
David Hettel
Microsoft MVP Mobile Devices

This posting is provided "as is" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
You assume all risks for your use.

"Tony A." <what@where.why.com> wrote in message
> Check http://www.choirguy.com/memory.pdf for a whole bunch of card
> benckmarks run on Axims (link from aximsite). Your device is pretty much
> the bottleneck for all but the slower cards, there's no apparent
> performance increase between a 32x card and a 70x card.
>
> Tony
>
> Rowan Healey wrote:
>> I wonder if anyone can help with this?
>>
>> When you add a storage card to your PDA say a SD or CF card, I
>> understand that these cards run at different speeds depending on how
>> much money you want to spend on them.
>>
>> I have seen them at up to "x40" speed on the "professional ones" used
>> in digital photography, and they are more expensive. I have a lot of
>> programs on my ipaq 4700 and use the CF and SD cards to store them
>> and also most of the data I hold. I currently have a 512MB CF Card
>> which I am thinking about upgrading to a 1GB card as I have started
>> using the DVD--PPC program and can watch DVD movies/programs on the
>> ipaq. If the card runs too slow would this effect the performance of
>> the programs and the video run from the card, and therefore should I
>> get the fastest card I can for the ipaq?
>>
>> Is there an optimum size and speed for these cards for the PPC
>> anyway, in other words no point in buying a very fast card because
>> the connection with the PPC itself will bottleneck it beyond a
>> certain speed?
>>

>> Best Regards Rowan

Anonymous
a b G Storage
May 24, 2005 12:15:14 AM

"Rowan Healey" <rowan.healey@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
news:D 6sgh8$scd$1@nwrdmz02.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com...
>I wonder if anyone can help with this?
>
> When you add a storage card to your PDA say a SD or CF card, I understand
> that these cards run at different speeds depending on how much money you
> want to spend on them.
>
> I have seen them at up to "x40" speed on the "professional ones" used in
> digital photography, and they are more expensive. I have a lot of programs
> on my ipaq 4700 and use the CF and SD cards to store them and also most of
> the data I hold. I currently have a 512MB CF Card which I am thinking
> about
> upgrading to a 1GB card as I have started using the DVD--PPC program and
> can
> watch DVD movies/programs on the ipaq. If the card runs too slow would
> this
> effect the performance of the programs and the video run from the card,
> and
> therefore should I get the fastest card I can for the ipaq?
>
> Is there an optimum size and speed for these cards for the PPC anyway, in
> other words no point in buying a very fast card because the connection
> with
> the PPC itself will bottleneck it beyond a certain speed?
>

> Best Regards Rowan

I've seen little difference with cards over about 20x read speeds when used
in a ppc, but different makes can have different write speeds although
claimed to be the same read speeds. The limit would seem to be the ppc card
interface rather than card speeds. I have noticed differences when using in
a digital camera though.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
May 25, 2005 2:43:39 AM

Thanks Guys always impressed as always with your knowledge

Regards Rowan

!