Need some advice on a Intel CPU

e_a_g_l_e_p_i

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2007
Hello,
I currently have a system that I built about 2 years ago, it's a Intel P4 2.4. I have seen the new dual core that are running at the same 2.4 and I'm a bit confused because I haven't kept up on the new technoloigy. I want to build a new system and I'm looking for a good Intel proscessor, you know one that will make it worth the expense so I want one that will make my 2.4 look very slow but yet don't want the newest ones that sell for $700-1000.

I would appreciate some suggestions on what you think would be a good CPU for me to look at ???

Thanks in advance

dragonsprayer

Splendid
Jan 3, 2007
a pentium 2.4 = half a core 2 duo ( 2 cores) at 1.5-1.8 i am guessing

so a core 2 duo 1.8 which runs 2.8 = @2.8ghz = p4 @ 4ghz x 2 cores or 2 p4's.

a core 2 2.4ghz stock with 2 cores is a going handle about 3 times the load but since it has 2 cores it can due in better way. your game can run on 1 core while os and background programs run on core 2

this is a poor explanation so someone post a better one

IFB (amti is always #2)

RandMcnally

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2006
a pentium 2.4 = half a core 2 duo ( 2 cores) at 1.5-1.8 i am guessing

so a core 2 duo 1.8 which runs 2.8 = @2.8ghz = p4 @ 4ghz x 2 cores or 2 p4's.

a core 2 2.4ghz stock with 2 cores is a going handle about 3 times the load but since it has 2 cores it can due in better way. your game can run on 1 core while os and background programs run on core 2

this is a poor explanation so someone post a better one

IFB (amti is always #2)
That was a terrible explanation. You're a fanboy for intel, why do you post such useless crap
IFB (amti is always #2)
You're clueless.
Any core 2 duo will beat your computer -by a ton. His calculations are terribly inaccurate. Ghz and dual core multiplying means absolutely nothing. Your post should be tagged by the idiot police.

ajfink

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2006
Thanks alot that helped a lot, all the posts have helped me ..
I'm looking at the Intel E6600 for my CPU

That is an excellent and very popular CPU.

I'm going to do this in clear, concise English:

The old Netburst architecture (Pentium 4s and Pentium Ds and their Celeron and server counterparts) are/were very inefficient per clock cycle, thus they had to run at high clock speeds to give decent performance. The Athlon64 and X2s and those based off that architecture are significantly more efficient (could do more work per Mhz or Ghz), achieving more work per clock cycle. Intel has since released their new core architecture, Core 2 Duo, which performs even better per clock cycle than the Athlon64s/X2s, and thus giving dramatically higher performance in CPU-intensive applications in comparison to what a P4 could do.

A very simple, general and in some benchmarks inaccurate way to look at it is to look at the clock speed of a new Core 2 Duo processor. You would have to have double the clock speed of a a P4 to achieve the same performance of that Core 2 Duo.

Hope that helps clarify a tad more.

e_a_g_l_e_p_i

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2007
Yes it does, thank you !!

Now I'm off to find a ASUS motherboard......lol

Have never used anything else and never had any problems so I'm stuck on them........lol

m25

Distinguished
May 23, 2006
That was a terrible explanation. You're a fanboy for intel, why do you post such useless crap

He is a fanboy but it's not a rarity here, the problem is that he often gives wrong, stupid advices (like when he told someone a 2.8GHz P4 was better than an Athlon64 3200+), or when he makes stupid, winded explanations like this one; that's when fanboys become a danger :roll: .