Sign in with
Your question

3lfk1ng's Project : Dream 98% Complete

Last response: in Components
February 23, 2007 5:46:44 PM

~98% Complete modding my Thermaltake Kandalf chassis

Here is the Worklog

I still have a top part to make from Aluminum and some Clear UV paint to purchase for the tool free bay installation pieces.....

Hope you guys like the Gunmetal color on the Kandalf

Dream COMPLETE

Inside painted

Top handle

Replaced the plastic rivets for some real modder screws

Side reflection

Picking up the case has never been more easy

Here is the other side

Little blurry...but here is the inside. It's not easy organizing ~100 feet of cable.

Here is the painted backside of the case

Dream in the night

Dream again...

Mobo/GPU and some cables are UV reactive

I should have another update sometime within the next month or so...
The cold cathodes that are in the case right now are really old and very dim, I plan on purchasing 4 A.C. Ryan Overboost cold cathodes (2 kits) to replace the 2 (Single kit atm)

Until then,
MOD ON!

~3lfk1ng
February 23, 2007 5:49:49 PM

Totally friggin awesome elf. Love them waterjets and what they can do to sheet metal.
February 23, 2007 6:04:23 PM

8O wow..my respects.........me want it.....(drools)...

How much it cost and how did you manage to do it?

Related resources
Anonymous
February 23, 2007 6:14:56 PM

PIMP buddy

P retty
I mpressive
M aster
P iece
February 23, 2007 6:22:19 PM

That is flat out fantastic! :trophy: Good work, and happy gaming.
February 23, 2007 6:27:57 PM

That looks cool. Does it say Love in Mandarin?
February 23, 2007 6:41:00 PM

Nice bro 8) Really really like that paint job. I highly recommend AC Ryan UV paint, nothing brighter. Takes a few coats but is very nice.

Got the handles on the right way this time! :lol: 
February 23, 2007 6:53:46 PM

Yes, I made sure the handles are on correctly :) 

Thanks for the compliments guys.

The overall cost of this project was around $120 (without that parts of course) ....so far. The paint job was quoted at $200 but lucky for me the painter was my Girlfriend's Mom so she didn't charge me for it.

Here is my worklog for anyone who hasn't already seen it.

A lot of my original concepts evolved over time and change to something completely different....not a single regret though.

Even the stuff I had originally planned on purchasing changed over time.

Thanks again

~3lfk1ng
February 23, 2007 7:18:21 PM

Yeah, evolving over time is just part of modding.

It all looks great on paper and then when it's a physical look at the thing, good ideas just come to mind. Looks like you had a bit of that goin :) 

Very nicely done, after a week or so of it being complete, you will be refreshed and want to go in and perfect the wiring job to finalize the build. What graphics card is that in there?
February 23, 2007 7:41:33 PM

Quote:

That would be the Kanji (Japanese) for, "Dream".
February 23, 2007 8:45:07 PM

usually i don´t like "las vegas style" cases, but I have to say that u had taste
February 23, 2007 8:59:06 PM

Quote:

Thank you Ninja :) 

Although I guess the bottom part of each symbol is ...somewhat similar

Mandarin "Love" (Chinese)

vs
Kanji "Dream" (Japanese)

Anywayz....

Quote:
Very nicely done, after a week or so of it being complete, you will be refreshed and want to go in and perfect the wiring job to finalize the build. What graphics card is that in there?

Thank you very much. Ya, the wiring still has a little bit of work, but for the most part it is complete. The only"rampant" wires are the wires connected to the Crystalfontz-635 LCD Module that are montoring the temperatures of certain parts. Although, I'm still trying to figure it all out :roll:

The graphics card is the HIS X1950XT IceQ 3 Turbo and I absolutely love it! Later on in the year I'll upgrade to two r600's.....I think.

@verndewd
Thanks man

@PMR
That means a lot, thank you. My My gf also contributed some advice along the way, she is a graphic design artist so that really helped for the overall look and feel that I was going for.

The theme is supposed to be a more mature theme, no childish antics here, there was no way in hell that I was going to butcher a $230 case :wink:.

Peace
February 23, 2007 9:13:29 PM

Quote:

Thank you Ninja :) 

Although I guess the bottom part of each symbol is ...somewhat similar

Mandarin "Love" (Chinese)

vs
Kanji "Dream" (Japanese)

Looks like I should of paid more attention in Chinese school. Anyway, it looks real nice :D 
February 23, 2007 9:25:50 PM

Thanks man.
February 23, 2007 9:48:30 PM

Nice work. 8O Love the symbols in the window.
Sexy.
Gotta say it... Verryy nice, verry nice, hoow muchh?
February 23, 2007 10:17:10 PM

That's actually pretty inspiring. I love the detail and how you got everyone involved. I should take my brother up on his offer to make a case with me. (He's a machinist by trade, an engineer by education, and artist by choice.)
February 23, 2007 10:36:39 PM

OH man, that's awesome... I don't envy it, but I DO admire it!
February 23, 2007 10:51:31 PM

Solid work man.

Nice board too :wink:

Just ordered a E4300, G.SK F2-8000PHU2-2GBZX.

System Specs:

TT Mozart TX case
RD600 (where have I seen this before?)
G.SK F2-8000PHU2-2GBZX 2x1GB
FSP Group 600w
2x Seagate 7200.10 400GB
1x Raptor 150GB
X-Fi Plat. Pro
eVGA 7900GTX (waiting for R600).

I am ballparking 3.65-3.8GHz.

Of course my case isn't nearly as cool as yours. Good work.

Should be up and running on 3/2
February 23, 2007 11:14:38 PM

Quote:
The overall cost of this project was around $120 (without the parts of course) ....so far. The paint job was quoted at $200 but lucky for me the painter was my girlfriend's mom so she didn't charge me for it.

Parts List

Here is a list of the Mod supplies:

Swingback handles $20
Uv Acrylic $15
Vandal Switch $24
Water-cut $60
Aluminum Sheet (for the top part which is unfinished atm) $6
Mod Screws Free (approx. $5 worth)
Paint job Free (Quoted @ $200)

Mod supplies to get:
Uv Blue paint $14
2 A.C. Ryan overboost Cold Cathode Kits. $20
Elegant Anodized Aluminum Covered Case Feet (since I love the Silverstone tj09 feet $7

Total cost when complete without the computer parts: $166

I already had the case and the dremel and such.
Kandalf
Black and Decker RTX
and Such :oops:  (I need a new sound card still)

The following prices are what appears on my credit card statement... basically how much the parts cost me at the time. I'm sure it's probably at least $100+ cheaper now seeing as how I bought my parts before the end of last year so that I could get a tax write-off.

Computer parts:
RD600 $269.99
e6600@3.4ghz $308.00
Monsoon II $119.99
HISx1950xt IceQ3 Turbo $319.99
Dominator 8500 2gb $385.99
Sony Dru-820A $50 at local store
LG GSAH22N $28.99
Seagate 7200.10 500GB (2x 250gb) $159.98
Gamexstream 850watt $229.99
CFA-635 USB LCD (Blue backlight with white text) $135.99

Total cost without the mod's: $2008.91

@VBDude
Good luck man, post your progress over at Wizd

@Dante_Jose_Cuervo
Thanks....I think?

@SuperFly03
Nice! It's about time :roll:. Congrats :D 
Does that make us the only 2 DFI rd600 owners on Tom's? :lol: 
I still have some more overclocking to go, my goal is to break 3.8ghz and tickle 4.0ghz. I want to join the 4ghz club...but if that doesn't happen, I won't be the least bit upset, the Core 2 Duo's rock at overclocking!
Go mod ur case, performance-pcs is the place

Thanks again guys
~3lfk1ng
February 23, 2007 11:20:24 PM

Nice job again man. Let us know how the OCing goes on the DFI 8)
February 23, 2007 11:23:26 PM

NICE 8)

and the gunmetal grey is cool.
February 23, 2007 11:29:17 PM

Thank you so much guys.

Yeah, I agree, Gunmetal looks bada$$.
February 24, 2007 12:00:36 AM

Quote:
@SuperFly03
Nice! It's about time :roll:. Congrats :D 
Does that make us the only 2 DFI rd600 owners on Tom's? :lol: 
I still have some more overclocking to go, my goal is to break 3.8ghz and tickle 4.0ghz. I want to join the 4ghz club...but if that doesn't happen, I won't be the least bit upset, the Core 2 Duo's rock at overclocking!
Go mod ur case, performance-pcs is the place

Thanks again guys
~3lfk1ng

There is a 3rd guy, but I don't count him. He has like 15 post since August 06 when he reg'd.

you know we are the two best :wink:

On your mark get ready set OC!

I'll keep you apprised, but expect my final oc around march 19 when I get back to my own apt so I can crank up my cooling 8O

As for the case.... you just wait, it's big for a reason. I am going to get creative with a Dremel.... be afraid, be very afraid!
February 24, 2007 12:37:25 AM

Looks better than that wood case someone made awhile ago :wink:
February 24, 2007 12:51:40 AM

Nice box! :D 
February 24, 2007 1:57:03 AM

Quote:
Looks better than that wood case someone made awhile ago :wink:

Hey now, that's not cool one bit. I had a part in building that case ...somewhat (internet advice) and it takes someone with skills and understanding to build something from scratch, what Tool has is a work of art. I know he put a lot of effort into that over Christmas break and I myself can admire the beauty of a wooden case. Stuff like that is hurtful and just plain uncool man and completely disrespectful when said in that manor. It's one thing to be opinionated, but it's a whole different ballgame when you flat out put something or someone down.

Our cases are in two completely separate mod genres.

Mine is a Case mod...

His is a Custom Case...

C'mon Valtiel... :roll:
Unless you a brother of Tools, that was uncalled for.

@Heyyou27

Here is another picture, it's as clear as I could get it. Pay close attention to the plastic drive bay tabs, eventually those will all glow a brilliant UV Blue and there will be Two UV lights on the inside instead of just 1:

Later on I plan on having my friend (A professional photographer) take a bunch of pictures at his studio so that I can submit them to various case mod competitions through the internet and pc mags :D  .
February 24, 2007 2:09:03 AM

Word up. Tool did an amazing job on that case. I got him to submit it to MaximumPC's Rig of the Month competition. I hope he won! :D 
February 24, 2007 6:29:48 AM

Ya he did a fantastic job and it looks really clean. I hope he won too, he deserved it.
February 24, 2007 7:23:39 AM

Thanks for the support elf! Val was just messin though, he knows I know my case is far superior to anything he could ever mastermind, let alone create. 8)
February 24, 2007 7:36:18 AM

No problem man, anytime :wink:

Did you ever get word from Maximum PC?
Perhaps Valtiel speaks out of severe jealousy?

Anyways...
I added my sig to each pic so that nobody can steal my work and claim it for themself :p 
February 24, 2007 7:41:07 AM

That was totally and 100% a joke. I'm sorry if you or tool took it the wrong way.

Quote:
Val was just messin though, he knows I know my case is far superior to anything he could ever mastermind, let alone create.

Yeah I mean I have trouble with cable management let alone case modding at all. I don't even own a dremel (yet :twisted: )
February 24, 2007 7:44:18 AM

Editor emailed back saying they don't run that contest anymore, last one was January issue but he might run an article on it sometime this summer and will let me know if he wants some better pics.
February 24, 2007 8:11:00 AM

Oh....well ok you cleared your name and In that case I'm sorry :oops:  , feel free to Flame on 8O :lol: 

Yeah get a dremel :twisted: , I'm serious, I would really love to see some more fellow THGFZ posters over at WizD OR The Mod Nation making casemod worklogs. tool_462 still has yet to post his entire worklog for all the world to see :cry:  ....perhaps someday :wink:

@tool_462
Well in that case, I hope he asks for some better pics or something... that case deserves some media attention.

A lot of the guys at WizD and Mod Nation have been put in various PC mags, that is why I post with them, they have all sorts of cool stuff to say and recommend.
February 24, 2007 1:20:00 PM

Quote:
Editor emailed back saying they don't run that contest anymore, last one was January issue but he might run an article on it sometime this summer and will let me know if he wants some better pics.

Damn that sucks. I haven't read the mag in awhile so I didn't know, too addicted to tom's lol.
February 24, 2007 4:44:30 PM

Me too, although I have been too busy with school to do anything more than school work :cry:  .
February 24, 2007 9:04:18 PM

First off, thanks for the link 3lf. There are some really unique projects over there. This will take more work than I thought (what doesn't?), unless I do a few simpler projects before I get to "the one"...version 1.0. :wink:

Okay, now tool. If you ever get your case featured in MaxPC, please send me a shout out. (I missed the thread, but it shouldn't be hard to find.) I have a hard time keeping up with the hardware forumz, but I read nearly every issue of MPC cover-to-cover, so I'd love to have something specific to look for.
February 25, 2007 1:25:47 AM

You've probably seen this but I want to do this to my Antec 900 as possibly my first case modding job. Not completely the whole thing that did but the cable management, yes. I don't incredibly care if my hard drives are backwards though, that might be a later project.
February 25, 2007 3:48:25 AM

Yeah, it looks really nice, I've seen that link many times before with people wanting to organize similar to that.

Gimme a week or two and I'll show you my final wiring job, for now I just wanna take a quick break before I continue the modding madness 8).

@VBDude
Np man, just letting people get a taste and desire for some case modding. I hope that you find some serious inspiration.
February 25, 2007 5:12:08 AM

Yup it's all about what makes you happy. Whether that is just a cool power switch or something as extensive as tool and 3lf.

Side note: WTF is with the forumz sending me emails about topics i am not watching. All I do is click on the link from the homepage just to see if its worth responding to and it thinks I am watching it. It has been cluttering my inbox for a week.... 20-30 emails a day.... and no none of those auto options are on in my profile :wink:
February 25, 2007 6:15:23 AM

Yeah, there are a lot of great mod sites out there. Here are a few of my personal favorites:

performance-pcs
is my favorite because not only do they have the biggest selection of computer modding supplies but they sleeve a lot of the products you buy in your choice of cable absolutely free.

frozencpu
SVC
Xoxide
mnpctech

As far as the whole email thing that your having.... :?: no clue. AFAIK it's not supposed to do that unless you post in the topic.
Your on your own there :p 
February 25, 2007 7:06:41 AM

8O Where's your house? Please gimme your address coz I think I'll come over along with several mafia, yakuza and whatnot and have a 'look' and have 'window shopping' :twisted: ....
February 25, 2007 8:06:55 AM

LOL :roll:
February 25, 2007 4:26:09 PM

SVC and mnptech are new to me.... looks promising.

Thanks.
February 25, 2007 10:38:32 PM

No problem, enjoy :) 
August 18, 2008 10:10:12 AM

Thread Revival
Mod featured at ex(X) ce(C) pe(P) uz(US) . com
!