How do I get rid of the "extra" hard drive?

On the way to the annual OS reconstruction I had to do some stuff I am
still not clear what it was. I have 2 fixed (internal) drives, 3
FireWire (1394) drives, one CD-RW and one DVD drive. Had to
repartition drive C, because of the NTFS format (my Win 2K is an
upgrade from 98), re-installed the OS (Win 2K Pro) with SP4. Now the
drive letter assignments, as seen with the Disk Management are:

Disk 0 - C: (fixed) (NTFS)
Disk 1 - G: (fixed) (FAT32)
Disk 3 - H: (1394) (FAT32)
Disk 4 - I: (1394) - to be formatted after I recover the data with
R-Studio NTFS
Disk 5 - J: (1394) (NTFS)
CD-ROM 0 - E (DVD)
CD-ROM 1 - F (CD-ROM)
CD-ROM 3 - D (DVD)

Notice that D exists as a second DVD - when in fact, I have no second
physical DVD drive. Drive D: used to be the second fixed drive, but
during the install I "lost it" so in order to "see" its contents I had
to rename it G.

I can see them all with Windows Explorer, but, if I try to access D: I
get "Insert a CD in the drive." Ditto for drive E (which exists as a
physical drive). Once I do that, I might as well reboot, because
everything will start crawling and will never see the contents of
whatever CD I insert I the DVD drive. In effect, the DVD drive has
become useless. When recovering files from one of the external 1394s,
I see that R-Studio refers to drive D as a "Stealth DVD."

What in the world is a Stealth DVD and how do I kill it? How do I fix
the problem? Is it an improper letter assignment (software) or has the
physical DVD drive gone south??

PLEASE help. This is driving me nuts. I am really not looking forward
to either having to re-install the OS, or to buying another DVD drive
for this aging P-3.

Thanks in advance.

Best,

Andrew

--

Birmingham, Alabama, USA
rozsa@usa.invalid

    You could I guess do a repair install of Win2k, having removed all the
    connections to to yr other drives, other than the cd; then reconnect and
    reinstall them one by one

    "Andrew J. Rozsa" <rozsa@usa.invalid> wrote in message
    > On the way to the annual OS reconstruction I had to do some stuff I am
    > still not clear what it was. I have 2 fixed (internal) drives, 3
    > FireWire (1394) drives, one CD-RW and one DVD drive. Had to
    > repartition drive C, because of the NTFS format (my Win 2K is an
    > upgrade from 98), re-installed the OS (Win 2K Pro) with SP4. Now the
    > drive letter assignments, as seen with the Disk Management are:
    >
    > Disk 0 - C: (fixed) (NTFS)
    > Disk 1 - G: (fixed) (FAT32)
    > Disk 3 - H: (1394) (FAT32)
    > Disk 4 - I: (1394) - to be formatted after I recover the data with
    > R-Studio NTFS
    > Disk 5 - J: (1394) (NTFS)
    > CD-ROM 0 - E (DVD)
    > CD-ROM 1 - F (CD-ROM)
    > CD-ROM 3 - D (DVD)
    >
    > Notice that D exists as a second DVD - when in fact, I have no second
    > physical DVD drive. Drive D: used to be the second fixed drive, but
    > during the install I "lost it" so in order to "see" its contents I had
    > to rename it G.
    >
    > I can see them all with Windows Explorer, but, if I try to access D: I
    > get "Insert a CD in the drive." Ditto for drive E (which exists as a
    > physical drive). Once I do that, I might as well reboot, because
    > everything will start crawling and will never see the contents of
    > whatever CD I insert I the DVD drive. In effect, the DVD drive has
    > become useless. When recovering files from one of the external 1394s,
    > I see that R-Studio refers to drive D as a "Stealth DVD."
    >
    > What in the world is a Stealth DVD and how do I kill it? How do I fix
    > the problem? Is it an improper letter assignment (software) or has the
    > physical DVD drive gone south??
    >
    > PLEASE help. This is driving me nuts. I am really not looking forward
    > to either having to re-install the OS, or to buying another DVD drive
    > for this aging P-3.
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > Best,
    >
    > Andrew