Long Startup in Win2000 Pro

I have Cox Cable connection now. Just before converting
to it, I started having "Preparing network Connections"
message that takes over a minute. I have cleaned out the
programs that begin at startup. I have cleaned up the
Register. I run Zone Alarm, Norton Antivirus and other
programs to cleanup virus problems. I have contacted tech
forums and Cox with no help.
How do I improve the time it takes to logon?

In Network Properties -> TCP/IP did you select "acquire IP address
dynamically"? If you did, Windows searches for a DHCP server providing it
with an IP address. If it doesn't get a reply within a minute or so, it
abandons the search and continues startup.

You should give it a fixed IP (e.g. 192.168.0.1) if you don't have a DHCP
server to provide it with an IP address.

HTH,
Axel Dahmen

----------------------------
"ChuckR" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> I have Cox Cable connection now. Just before converting
> to it, I started having "Preparing network Connections"
> message that takes over a minute. I have cleaned out the
> programs that begin at startup. I have cleaned up the
> Register. I run Zone Alarm, Norton Antivirus and other
> programs to cleanup virus problems. I have contacted tech
> forums and Cox with no help.
> How do I improve the time it takes to logon?

I do have everything automatic/search for/etc. I tried
specifying addresses and Outlook Express died. Using the
cable connection only leases an IP address for 1 day.

Get yourself a firewall/router. Then, you can assign yourself a fixed
private IP and let your router handle the DHCP from your ISP. They are
available very cheaply these days, and NOBODY should have an always-on
connection without a firewall - it's worth it.