phendyr

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2007
Hey folks,

well it seems I've narrowed the origin of the warning beeps in my new system down to the fans. two things are happening:

1) watching the sensors with Everest, the PSU Fan will disappear from the list and then come back, this coincided with the beeps when I had them turned on in bios.

2) with the side cover off, I watch the CPU cooling fan...it continously stops and restarts...

what's goin on?

rexter

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
Easy way to try is to switch the CPU fan to motherboard fan and disable the monitoring sensor from the bios temporary. (Switching just the connectors not the fans) And check if the fan is still doing same thing. then you'll know it's the fan. As the matter of fact check the bios completely.

If the motherboard fan is the one that's doing the erratic shut off, then it is the board or something wrong with the power distribution on that particular terminal.

Unless you have a V.O.M. (Volt Ohm Meter) and check the power that is coming out those terminals.

Like akhilles said we need your specs.

phendyr

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2007
will try switching the fans in a moment, meanwhile here are the specs:

*switching fan power source from cpu fan to the sys fan port and the fan ran fine.. *

CASE: Cooler Master Centurion RC-534 W/ 430W PSU - $75

MoBo: Gigabyte GA-965P-DQ6 - $212 OR
Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 - $134

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 2.13Ghz - $222

RAM: Patriot Extreme 2GB (2x1GB) SDRAM DDR2 800 - $251
with $40 rebate

Video: GeForce 7600GT - $143 w/ $50 rebate

HDD: WD Caviar 250GB Sata 3.0gb/s - $80
Seagate 7200.10 Sata 3.0gb/s - $95

DVD: HP 18X DVD±R DVD Burner With LightScribe - $53

rexter

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
Sorry for late reply, I was away for awhile.

What is your System temperature? Check Intel for CPU Thermal Specs.
If you play a game for more than a minute, Check your CPU temperature when the fan runs and when the fan stop running. And the fan does not turn then you have a problem unless your CPU is not hot.

It will give you a quick indecation if CPU Fan Terminal is working or not.

Check the BIOS for fan speed or temp control, Check the software bundle that came with the motherboard if you have any Temperature Monitoring Program. And you need to install.

Asus has this program called AI Booster where It can Actually Change the CPU fan speed. Don't know if Gigabyte has the same features.

VOM is very handy on this kind of setuation, You might consider on checking out on one. But it's useless as well if you don't know how to use one.

Marell

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2007
Go to a B&M and pick up a new power supply. Make sure you can return it if you have to. The one that comes with that case is cheap... It's a eXtreme Power RS-430-PMSR/P and advertises Max: 400W (Continuous), Peak: 430W and 19A on the 12v Rail.

These s/b the requirment's of your video card based on the refrence design might vary depending on manufacturer...

7600GT: 400W (18A)

You are cutting it close. :)

Here is a quote from one of the user's on Newegg:

"Cons: The "430W power supply" is underpowered for anything above a mild home office system. The +12V rail only shows a rating of 19A. Seemed to do okay with my bare bones system and 7600GT, but I was getting artifacts and reboots, so tread with caution. Replacing with beefier power supply since I am moving to an X1950PRO."

If the the name PS from the B&M fixes your issue go return it and pick up something like the Silverstone Element 500W.

Marell