NTVDM Error

We are having a strange problem with a new server running 2000 server.
When trying to install any software from the CD, we recieve the following
error:

"The NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction.
CS:0000 IP:0077 OP:f0 37 05 0c 02 Choose "Close" to terminate the
application."

We have tried it with a clean install with SP4 and all patches, etc and
recieved the same error.
We also tried formatting the drive and doing a clean install with nothing
except a plain vanilla 2000
with no patches at all and still recieved the error.

It's a supermicro P3TDDE mobo.
1GB Kingston ram.
LSI Logic Megaraid Express 500 Raid controller for data
and using the onboard Promise Flex100 ATA raid for the OS.

We have already tried looking on google and the MSKB, but
the solutions we found did not help.
Any one have any ideas?
2 answers Last reply
More about ntvdm error

    245184 NTVDM CPU Has Encountered an Illegal Instruction
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=245184

    Daniel Chang
    Server Setup Team

    Search our Knowledge Base at http://support.microsoft.com/directory
    Visit the Windows 2000 Homepage at
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/default.asp
    See the Windows NT Homepage at http://www.microsoft.com/ntserver/

    NOTE: Please reply to the newsgroup and not directly to me. This allows
    others to add to and benefit from these threads and also helps to ensure a
    more timely response. Thank you!
    This posting is provided "AS IS" without warranty either expressed or
    implied, including, but not limited to, the implied warranties of
    merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose.
    The views and opinions expressed in this newsgroup posting are mine and do
    not necessarily express or reflect the views and / or opinions of Microsoft.

    :
[...]

    Thanks, but that's not it.
    As I said, we tried the KB and every article we found did not work.
    Also, this was a clean install (several times), so the only way for an
    incorrect version of command.com to get on the computer would be if it was
    installed by 2000 during it's install.

Windows