Olympic missing in HD

Last response: in Home Theatre
August 14, 2004 1:00:15 AM

I am watching San Francisco affiliate of NBC-HD. They are showing
2002 Winter Olympic instead of the opening ceremony. Are all the NBC
across the nation doing the same?

More about : olympic missing

August 14, 2004 8:12:27 AM

In article <ee67c74a.0408132000.53b13d0c@posting.google.com>,
caloonese@yahoo.com says...
> I am watching San Francisco affiliate of NBC-HD. They are showing
> 2002 Winter Olympic instead of the opening ceremony. Are all the NBC
> across the nation doing the same?

No. Here, the Baltimore and DC stations have it in HD.

Pretty sad that there is just one sponsor, Sony. And Sony made only one
spot; not a very good one, either, IMHO. Fifteen minute deja vu's.

And speaking of deja vu's -- they skipped back about fifteen minutes in the
procession of nations. We got to see the same thing twice.
Anonymous
August 14, 2004 4:07:00 PM

In article <MPG.1b875b485d251a969896a8@news.easynews.com>,
Mistress <mistress@s&m.org> wrote:

> In article <ee67c74a.0408132000.53b13d0c@posting.google.com>,
> caloonese@yahoo.com says...
> > I am watching San Francisco affiliate of NBC-HD. They are showing
> > 2002 Winter Olympic instead of the opening ceremony. Are all the NBC
> > across the nation doing the same?
> >

> No. Here, the Baltimore and DC stations have it in HD.
>
> Pretty sad that there is just one sponsor, Sony. And Sony made only one
> spot; not a very good one, either, IMHO. Fifteen minute deja vu's.
>
> And speaking of deja vu's -- they skipped back about fifteen minutes in the
> procession of nations. We got to see the same thing twice.

Actually here in baltimore on cable the old WBAL HD (181) is now an SD
DTV broadcast.

Look at the NBC website and they show only replays of the opening
ceremonies today (all day!!!) on HD, tomorrow they start covering events
in HD.

Pretty stupid planning (last night the HD signal was an hour behind the
SD program)

carl.
August 14, 2004 4:52:59 PM

Caloonese wrote:
> I am watching San Francisco affiliate of NBC-HD. They are showing
> 2002 Winter Olympic instead of the opening ceremony. Are all the NBC
> across the nation doing the same?

Same with TWC in San Antonio. wtf was up with that anyway?

--
-Randy (DOF)
August 14, 2004 9:51:53 PM

"Caloonese" <caloonese@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I am watching San Francisco affiliate of NBC-HD. They are showing
> 2002 Winter Olympic instead of the opening ceremony. Are all the NBC
> across the nation doing the same?

One hour before the official HDTV coverage of the opening ceremonies began,
NBC HDTV filled the slot with their very first HDTV Olympic coverage, which
was the 2002 Olympic Games. The ice skating footage in HDTV was
spectacular, and most of us who have HDTV now never saw it before. Probably
only a few thousand saw it before, so now they are "sharing" that older
footage with more people.

This joint Sony-NBC Olympic project is a big-time promotion for HDTV,
period. And just what is the purpose of that Sony HDTV commercial running
on a feed for people who *already* have HDTV sets? I think Sony assumes
that people with the HDTV feed are going to invite friends and family to
watch this special event in HDTV, and that this will create a hunger and
lust for this technology. The commercials are for the unconverted who
happen to be sitting in your living room.
Anonymous
August 14, 2004 9:55:45 PM

Reality is alot of places like Circuit City and Best Buy will prob be playing
the high def olympics on their sets so this is an excellent idea for sony!
End higher ticket prices! Go to local college games!
Anonymous
August 15, 2004 5:17:01 AM

Oh Lordy, not again!!

According to NBC's website, NBCHD was supposed to switch at 1.00am EST
from the ad nauseum repeats of the opening ceremony, to actual event
coverage. Here in NYC at 1.00am they started with audio from
swimming, but the video was yet anothe repeat of the opening
ceremony!! After about two minutes they switched the audio to match
the image.

Hey NBC! Can we see some events...please??!!

On Sat, 14 Aug 2004 12:52:59 GMT, "RandyW"
<ds_damelontheobvious@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Caloonese wrote:
>> I am watching San Francisco affiliate of NBC-HD. They are showing
>> 2002 Winter Olympic instead of the opening ceremony. Are all the NBC
>> across the nation doing the same?
>
>Same with TWC in San Antonio. wtf was up with that anyway?

August 15, 2004 5:43:02 AM

I really don't appreciate the way they used the 2002 footage to push
the opening ceremony an hour behind the SD broadcast. If they planned
to show the 2002 footage, they should begin the HD show an hour early
so that HD and SD could sync up. I ended up watching the SD channel
for the opening ceremony.

I watched the Olympic events all Saturday on the SD channel because
everytime I flipped to the HD channel, they had the rerun of the
opening cerrmony.

I am currently watching the men gymnastics qualifying event on HD past
midnight Sunday morning, though I have already watched the actual men
gymnastic completion on SD a few hours earlier.

The way NBC is doing with HD is a joke. If they portrait HD as only a
rerun of the SD programming, they are doing more harm than good to the
HD promotion. If you want to see HD, then you'll have to watch after
midnight. No wonder why HD still cannot go mainstream when the
network treat their HD broadcasting as second priority. The first two
days of Olympics HD were very disappointing.

"RV" <race1000k_nospam_@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<ZisTc.19794$nx2.2213@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net>...
> One hour before the official HDTV coverage of the opening ceremonies began,
> NBC HDTV filled the slot with their very first HDTV Olympic coverage, which
> was the 2002 Olympic Games. The ice skating footage in HDTV was
> spectacular, and most of us who have HDTV now never saw it before. Probably
> only a few thousand saw it before, so now they are "sharing" that older
> footage with more people.
>

> This joint Sony-NBC Olympic project is a big-time promotion for HDTV,
> period. And just what is the purpose of that Sony HDTV commercial running
> on a feed for people who *already* have HDTV sets? I think Sony assumes
> that people with the HDTV feed are going to invite friends and family to
> watch this special event in HDTV, and that this will create a hunger and
> lust for this technology. The commercials are for the unconverted who
> happen to be sitting in your living room.
Anonymous
August 15, 2004 8:14:05 AM

<<I think Sony assumes
that people with the HDTV feed are going to invite friends and family to
watch this special event in HDTV, and that this will create a hunger and
lust for this technology. >>

Then they would be better served advertising in the Superbowl when somthing
like this is more likely to actually happen.

Lee

August 15, 2004 7:18:13 PM

RV wrote:
> This joint Sony-NBC Olympic project is a big-time promotion for HDTV,
> period. And just what is the purpose of that Sony HDTV commercial running
> on a feed for people who *already* have HDTV sets? I think Sony assumes
> that people with the HDTV feed are going to invite friends and family to
> watch this special event in HDTV, and that this will create a hunger and
> lust for this technology. The commercials are for the unconverted who
> happen to be sitting in your living room.

Of course they are.
Anonymous
August 15, 2004 7:19:15 PM

The commercials were probably also directed for current HDTV owners to convince
them to upgrade to a bigger and better HDTV. I have only a 27-inch HDTV
because I live in an apartment, but might like to buy a much bigger HDTV once I
move into a house.
Anonymous
August 15, 2004 11:17:30 PM

the biggest upset ever in Olympic History the Puerto Rico team of basketball
kicking team USA's butt is not put on high def what a joke
End higher ticket prices! Go to local college games!
Anonymous
August 15, 2004 11:17:31 PM

"Dan the fan" <westislip@aol.comspambloc> wrote in message
> the biggest upset ever in Olympic History the Puerto Rico team of
basketball
> kicking team USA's butt is not put on high def what a joke
> End higher ticket prices! Go to local college games!

Maybe they'll show it tomorrow in HD. I won't be able to stand the
suspense!

Bearman
Anonymous
August 15, 2004 11:24:10 PM

"Carl Muckenhirn" <carlmuck@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Look at the NBC website and they show only replays of the opening
> ceremonies today (all day!!!) on HD, tomorrow they start covering events
> in HD.
>
> Pretty stupid planning (last night the HD signal was an hour behind the
> SD program)

NBC has screwed this up so bad that I quit watching the Olympics
coverage. NBC shouldn't have made so much hype about their
HDTV coverage if they were going to make such a complete and
utter mess of it.
Anonymous
August 15, 2004 11:26:58 PM

"RV" <race1000k_nospam_@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> This joint Sony-NBC Olympic project is a big-time promotion for HDTV,
> period. And just what is the purpose of that Sony HDTV commercial running
> on a feed for people who *already* have HDTV sets? I think Sony assumes
> that people with the HDTV feed are going to invite friends and family to
> watch this special event in HDTV, and that this will create a hunger and
> lust for this technology. The commercials are for the unconverted who
> happen to be sitting in your living room.
They would be watching it on my 65 inch Mitsubishi, so why would
anyone consider a different brand than what they can already see
works very well?
Anonymous
August 15, 2004 11:28:51 PM

> The way NBC is doing with HD is a joke. If they portrait HD as only a
> rerun of the SD programming, they are doing more harm than good to the
> HD promotion. If you want to see HD, then you'll have to watch after
> midnight. No wonder why HD still cannot go mainstream when the
> network treat their HD broadcasting as second priority. The first two
> days of Olympics HD were very disappointing.
I am glad that I didn't try to use this as an example to show
anyone how good HDTV is.
August 16, 2004 12:38:47 AM

That goddam Sony commercial! I've had to sit thru it 56,349 times
already. Couldn't they at least make 5 or 10 different commercials
and rotate them? This one wasn't even funny the FIRST time I saw it.
Sometimes they show it two times in a row! It is so annoying I have
vowed to never buy a Sony tv for the rest of my life. The only
fitting way for the Olympic HD coverage to end is to show one last ad
where Tom kicks in his Sony hdtv screen, punches his wife, blasts the
crowd with an AK-47, and then jumps out that window with a noose tied
around his neck and the other end tied to his radiator...Frenchy
Anonymous
August 16, 2004 2:48:47 AM

Its on 48-2 OTA. Very nicely HD thank you..

BTW. San Francisco does not have an NBC affiliate.. San Jose does.

"Caloonese" <caloonese@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I am watching San Francisco affiliate of NBC-HD. They are showing
> 2002 Winter Olympic instead of the opening ceremony. Are all the NBC
> across the nation doing the same?
Anonymous
August 16, 2004 3:23:14 PM

On Sun, 15 Aug 2004, Kumar Goundan wrote:
> The commercials were probably also directed for current HDTV owners to convince
> them to upgrade to a bigger and better HDTV. I have only a 27-inch HDTV
> because I live in an apartment, but might like to buy a much bigger HDTV once I
> move into a house.

Well, not everyone has $16k to throw at and get an 82" HDTV monitor. I don't.
Supposedly, that's the largest one on the market (as of mid-July by
Mitsubishi).

NBC has done a horrible job with their programming schedule on the HD channel.
Does anyone know where the HD satellite wild-feeds for the olympics are? I'd
rather sit through dead-air than to see the same thing repeat every 4 hours.
Anonymous
August 16, 2004 10:54:04 PM

When I learned NBC was not gonna show the Olympics in HD in Puerto Rico
I called my friend Carlos Arroyo and that is why Puerto Rico whipped
USA's As... By the way, Does this whipping means USA is now a Puerto
Rico territory or is it still the other way around? :)

--
splino
!