Which Disk For Data

Hi! I tried to copy a small program to a disk to load to another computer.
It copied the data but when I try to write it to a blank CD-R disk it just
sits there. I just discovered there are several blank disk types cd-r, cd+r,
cd+rw what ARE all these and what are they used for????
Thanks!
19 answers Last reply
More about which disk data

    All of them are CD's........the r stands for writable and the rw for
    rewritable.The + or - must match the CD recordable drive that you have.Then
    of course you also will need the software that does the actual writting
    which is build into XP.
    peterk
    "BichonMom" <jemster> wrote in message
    > Hi! I tried to copy a small program to a disk to load to another computer.
    > It copied the data but when I try to write it to a blank CD-R disk it just
    > sits there. I just discovered there are several blank disk types cd-r,
    > cd+r,
    > cd+rw what ARE all these and what are they used for????
    > Thanks!

    Almost forgot most CD writers come with a software program that
    writes/rewrites to the CD.
    There are also UDF writers that formats a CD-/+RW disc and then makes it
    capable of drag and drop files onto it.
    With a UDF program like INCD from Nero you can use XP Backup program and
    back up directly to the CDrw
    peterk

    "BichonMom" <jemster> wrote in message
    > Hi! I tried to copy a small program to a disk to load to another computer.
    > It copied the data but when I try to write it to a blank CD-R disk it just
    > sits there. I just discovered there are several blank disk types cd-r,
    > cd+r,
    > cd+rw what ARE all these and what are they used for????
    > Thanks!

    Exactly how did you try to copy this program?
    Right click and Send to?
    Copy & Paste?
    Are you trying to use a CD writing program to do this, and if so,
    which one?

    You might want to try the following:
    Put a blank CD in your drive.
    Don't worry about the + and - business, that's for DVD's.
    Go to My computer and double click on the icon for your CD
    burner.
    Are your files listed in the right hand pane?
    If they are, look for "Write these files to CD" under CD Writing
    Tasks in the left hand column. Click on it and Windows will start
    burning your CD.

    Post back if you're still having problems.

    --
    Nepatsfan
    "BichonMom" <jemster> wrote in message
    > Hi! I tried to copy a small program to a disk to load to
    > another computer.
    > It copied the data but when I try to write it to a blank CD-R
    > disk it just
    > sits there. I just discovered there are several blank disk
    > types cd-r, cd+r,
    > cd+rw what ARE all these and what are they used for????
    > Thanks!

    I have NERO on my XP-home. I must have managed to copy them 'cuz now every
    time I boot up an icon appears on the taskbar with a message that says I
    have files waiting to write to a CD but when I click on that and put in a
    CD-R it just sits there??

    "Nepatsfan" <nepatsfan@SBXXXVIII.com> wrote in message
    Exactly how did you try to copy this program?
    Right click and Send to?
    Copy & Paste?
    Are you trying to use a CD writing program to do this, and if so,
    which one?

    You might want to try the following:
    Put a blank CD in your drive.
    Don't worry about the + and - business, that's for DVD's.
    Go to My computer and double click on the icon for your CD
    burner.
    Are your files listed in the right hand pane?
    If they are, look for "Write these files to CD" under CD Writing
    Tasks in the left hand column. Click on it and Windows will start
    burning your CD.

    Post back if you're still having problems.

    --
    Nepatsfan
    "BichonMom" <jemster> wrote in message
    > Hi! I tried to copy a small program to a disk to load to
    > another computer.
    > It copied the data but when I try to write it to a blank CD-R
    > disk it just
    > sits there. I just discovered there are several blank disk
    > types cd-r, cd+r,
    > cd+rw what ARE all these and what are they used for????
    > Thanks!

    So, why not just use Nero to create your CD?

    Did you try my suggestion about going to My Computer and seeing
    if that program your trying to copy is listed in your CD-RW
    waiting to be written? That's what that icon is trying to tell
    you. You've got to click on "Write these files to CD".

    If you're still stuck, post back and we'll start from scratch.

    --
    Nepatsfan
    >I have NERO on my XP-home. I must have managed to copy them 'cuz
    >now every
    > time I boot up an icon appears on the taskbar with a message
    > that says I
    > have files waiting to write to a CD but when I click on that
    > and put in a
    > CD-R it just sits there??
    >
    > "Nepatsfan" <nepatsfan@SBXXXVIII.com> wrote in message
    > Exactly how did you try to copy this program?
    > Right click and Send to?
    > Copy & Paste?
    > Are you trying to use a CD writing program to do this, and if
    > so,
    > which one?
    >
    > You might want to try the following:
    > Put a blank CD in your drive.
    > Don't worry about the + and - business, that's for DVD's.
    > Go to My computer and double click on the icon for your CD
    > burner.
    > Are your files listed in the right hand pane?
    > If they are, look for "Write these files to CD" under CD
    > Writing
    > Tasks in the left hand column. Click on it and Windows will
    > start
    > burning your CD.
    >
    > Post back if you're still having problems.
    >
    > --
    > Nepatsfan
    > "BichonMom" <jemster> wrote in message
    >> Hi! I tried to copy a small program to a disk to load to
    >> another computer.
    >> It copied the data but when I try to write it to a blank CD-R
    >> disk it just
    >> sits there. I just discovered there are several blank disk
    >> types cd-r, cd+r,
    >> cd+rw what ARE all these and what are they used for????
    >> Thanks!

    I used NERO to copy and tried to write-didn't work. Tried your suggestion
    and put in CD and clicked for it to write and it said to insert cd.....so I
    took it out and put it back in and it did the same thing, over and over and
    over....&^!@#

    So, why not just use Nero to create your CD?

    Did you try my suggestion about going to My Computer and seeing
    if that program your trying to copy is listed in your CD-RW
    waiting to be written? That's what that icon is trying to tell
    you. You've got to click on "Write these files to CD".

    If you're still stuck, post back and we'll start from scratch.

    --
    Nepatsfan
    "BichonMom" <jemster> wrote in message
    >I have NERO on my XP-home. I must have managed to copy them 'cuz
    >now every
    > time I boot up an icon appears on the taskbar with a message
    > that says I
    > have files waiting to write to a CD but when I click on that
    > and put in a
    > CD-R it just sits there??
    >
    > "Nepatsfan" <nepatsfan@SBXXXVIII.com> wrote in message
    > Exactly how did you try to copy this program?
    > Right click and Send to?
    > Copy & Paste?
    > Are you trying to use a CD writing program to do this, and if
    > so,
    > which one?
    >
    > You might want to try the following:
    > Put a blank CD in your drive.
    > Don't worry about the + and - business, that's for DVD's.
    > Go to My computer and double click on the icon for your CD
    > burner.
    > Are your files listed in the right hand pane?
    > If they are, look for "Write these files to CD" under CD
    > Writing
    > Tasks in the left hand column. Click on it and Windows will
    > start
    > burning your CD.
    >
    > Post back if you're still having problems.
    >
    > --
    > Nepatsfan
    > "BichonMom" <jemster> wrote in message
    >> Hi! I tried to copy a small program to a disk to load to
    >> another computer.
    >> It copied the data but when I try to write it to a blank CD-R
    >> disk it just
    >> sits there. I just discovered there are several blank disk
    >> types cd-r, cd+r,
    >> cd+rw what ARE all these and what are they used for????
    >> Thanks!

    You don't by some chance have an all-in-one dvd rewriter do you? It doesn't
    sound like it because you are referring to it as the cd drive. But just in
    case it turns out that you do, be aware that the Windows XP burning software
    will not write to a cd in a cdrw/dvd-rw drive. I went through that recently
    with MS PSS only to learn that. Even though the all-in-one drives read and
    write cd's, that function does not work with the Windows software and you do
    get the recurring "insert a cd in the drive" message with them. It also
    means for me that I have to use Nero or Roxio.

    (Don't confuse the kind of drive I am describing with the typical cdrw/dvd-r
    drives that are a dime a dozen. They work fine.)

    Just checking.

    >I used NERO to copy and tried to write-didn't work. Tried your suggestion
    > and put in CD and clicked for it to write and it said to insert cd.....so
    > took it out and put it back in and it did the same thing, over and over
    > and
    > over....&^!@#
    >
    > "Nepatsfan" <nepatsfan@SBXXXVIII.com> wrote in message
    > So, why not just use Nero to create your CD?
    >
    > Did you try my suggestion about going to My Computer and seeing
    > if that program your trying to copy is listed in your CD-RW
    > waiting to be written? That's what that icon is trying to tell
    > you. You've got to click on "Write these files to CD".
    >
    > If you're still stuck, post back and we'll start from scratch.
    >
    > --
    > Nepatsfan
    > "BichonMom" <jemster> wrote in message
    >>I have NERO on my XP-home. I must have managed to copy them 'cuz
    >>now every
    >> time I boot up an icon appears on the taskbar with a message
    >> that says I
    >> have files waiting to write to a CD but when I click on that
    >> and put in a
    >> CD-R it just sits there??
    >>
    >> "Nepatsfan" <nepatsfan@SBXXXVIII.com> wrote in message
    >> Exactly how did you try to copy this program?
    >> Right click and Send to?
    >> Copy & Paste?
    >> Are you trying to use a CD writing program to do this, and if
    >> so,
    >> which one?
    >>
    >> You might want to try the following:
    >> Put a blank CD in your drive.
    >> Don't worry about the + and - business, that's for DVD's.
    >> Go to My computer and double click on the icon for your CD
    >> burner.
    >> Are your files listed in the right hand pane?
    >> If they are, look for "Write these files to CD" under CD
    >> Writing
    >> Tasks in the left hand column. Click on it and Windows will
    >> start
    >> burning your CD.
    >>
    >> Post back if you're still having problems.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Nepatsfan
    >> "BichonMom" <jemster> wrote in message
    >>> Hi! I tried to copy a small program to a disk to load to
    >>> another computer.
    >>> It copied the data but when I try to write it to a blank CD-R
    >>> disk it just
    >>> sits there. I just discovered there are several blank disk
    >>> types cd-r, cd+r,
    >>> cd+rw what ARE all these and what are they used for????
    >>> Thanks!

    HUH? What is an all-in-one rewriter? I'm a novice here ya know :-) The
    machine came with a cd drive and NERO software. I noticed this message
    somewhere in my travels tho...is this why it doesn't wanna work maybe?
    Nero - Burning Rom has a known compatibility issue with this version of
    Windows. For an update that is compatible with this version of Windows,
    contact Ahead Software.

> [...]

    >> Go to My computer and double click on the icon for your CD
    >> burner.
    >> Are your files listed in the right hand pane?
    >> If they are, look for "Write these files to CD" under CD
    >> Writing
    >> Tasks in the left hand column. Click on it and Windows will
    >> start
    >> burning your CD.
    >>
    >> Post back if you're still having problems.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Nepatsfan
    >> "BichonMom" <jemster> wrote in message
    >>> Hi! I tried to copy a small program to a disk to load to
    >>> another computer.
    >>> It copied the data but when I try to write it to a blank CD-R
    >>> disk it just
    >>> sits there. I just discovered there are several blank disk
    >>> types cd-r, cd+r,
    >>> cd+rw what ARE all these and what are they used for????

    I "tink" I may have found the prob (from NERO website):
    Windows XP SP 2 - Compatibility problem
    After the installation of Service Pack 2 for Windows XP you may recieve this
    message when starting Nero:

    (the message I mentioned earlier)

    Windows XP service pack 2 is supported by Nero 6 since August 2004 (from
    version Nero 6.3.1.20 and all higher versions)

    If you´re still working with an older version, after installing the » free
    Update this message will not appear any more.

    I guess I will go try the update and see how much more trouble I can get
    myself into :-)

> [...]

    >> Post back if you're still having problems.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Nepatsfan
    >> "BichonMom" <jemster> wrote in message
    >>> Hi! I tried to copy a small program to a disk to load to
    >>> another computer.
    >>> It copied the data but when I try to write it to a blank CD-R
    >>> disk it just
    >>> sits there. I just discovered there are several blank disk
    >>> types cd-r, cd+r,
    >>> cd+rw what ARE all these and what are they used for????
    >>> Thanks!

    "BichonMom" <jemster> wrote in message
    Hi! I tried to copy a small program to a disk to load to another computer.
    It copied the data but when I try to write it to a blank CD-R disk it just
    sits there. I just discovered there are several blank disk types cd-r, cd+r,
    cd+rw what ARE all these and what are they used for????

    You are mistaken. With cd's there are only 2 types CD-R write once and
    CD-RW capable of being erased and used again. There is no such thing as
    cd+r or cd+rw.

    I was just about to tell you to check for the update. The comment about the
    all-in-one is because folks buy them but refer to them as cd drives when
    they are burning cd's. They are really dvd burners. I just wanted to make
    sure you weren't spinning your wheels and clearly you are not. The Nero
    update will fix you up just fine. The update does work fine with SP2.
    Roxio had the same issue and their update works fine too.

> [...]
    >>>
    >>> "Nepatsfan" <nepatsfan@SBXXXVIII.com> wrote in message
    >>> Exactly how did you try to copy this program?
    >>> Right click and Send to?
    >>> Copy & Paste?
    >>> Are you trying to use a CD writing program to do this, and if
    >>> so,
    >>> which one?
    >>>
    >>> You might want to try the following:
    >>> Put a blank CD in your drive.
    >>> Don't worry about the + and - business, that's for DVD's.
    >>> Go to My computer and double click on the icon for your CD
    >>> burner.
    >>> Are your files listed in the right hand pane?
    >>> If they are, look for "Write these files to CD" under CD
    >>> Writing
    >>> Tasks in the left hand column. Click on it and Windows will
    >>> start
    >>> burning your CD.
    >>>
    >>> Post back if you're still having problems.

    Visit this site and scroll down to where it says "Free update".

    http://ww2.nero.com/us/Support_News_Service_Pack_2_Inquiries.html

    --
    Nepatsfan
> [...]
    >>>
    >>> "Nepatsfan" <nepatsfan@SBXXXVIII.com> wrote in message
    >>> Exactly how did you try to copy this program?
    >>> Right click and Send to?
    >>> Copy & Paste?
    >>> Are you trying to use a CD writing program to do this, and if
    >>> so,
    >>> which one?
    >>>
    >>> You might want to try the following:
    >>> Put a blank CD in your drive.
    >>> Don't worry about the + and - business, that's for DVD's.
    >>> Go to My computer and double click on the icon for your CD
    >>> burner.
    >>> Are your files listed in the right hand pane?
    >>> If they are, look for "Write these files to CD" under CD
    >>> Writing
    >>> Tasks in the left hand column. Click on it and Windows will
    >>> start
    >>> burning your CD.
    >>>
    >>> Post back if you're still having problems.

    Oh, I think I've done a little bit of wheel spinning! ha!
    I tried to download the update last night-said it would take 3 hours g-r-r
    (I love dial-up) but then it aborted after 2 hours so I guess the hamster
    will get back on the wheel today!
    Thanks for your help!!!!
    I was just about to tell you to check for the update. The comment about the
    all-in-one is because folks buy them but refer to them as cd drives when
    they are burning cd's. They are really dvd burners. I just wanted to make
    sure you weren't spinning your wheels and clearly you are not. The Nero
    update will fix you up just fine. The update does work fine with SP2.
    Roxio had the same issue and their update works fine too.

    "BichonMom" <jemster> wrote in message
    >I "tink" I may have found the prob (from NERO website):
    > Windows XP SP 2 - Compatibility problem
    > After the installation of Service Pack 2 for Windows XP you may recieve
    > this
    > message when starting Nero:
    >
    > (the message I mentioned earlier)
    >
    > Windows XP service pack 2 is supported by Nero 6 since August 2004 (from
    > version Nero 6.3.1.20 and all higher versions)
    >
    > If you´re still working with an older version, after installing the » free
    > Update this message will not appear any more.
    >
    > I guess I will go try the update and see how much more trouble I can get
    > myself into :-)

    I said I was trying to save you from puzzling over something I could head
    off for you. Your response clarifies that what I was concerned about did
    not fit your situation. If you have a neighbor who is on broadband you
    could cut the download time drastically.

    > Oh, I think I've done a little bit of wheel spinning! ha!
    > I tried to download the update last night-said it would take 3 hours g-r-r
    > (I love dial-up) but then it aborted after 2 hours so I guess the hamster
    > will get back on the wheel today!
    > Thanks for your help!!!!
    > I was just about to tell you to check for the update. The comment about
    > the
    > all-in-one is because folks buy them but refer to them as cd drives when
    > they are burning cd's. They are really dvd burners. I just wanted to
    > make
    > sure you weren't spinning your wheels and clearly you are not. The Nero
    > update will fix you up just fine. The update does work fine with SP2.
    > Roxio had the same issue and their update works fine too.

    > "BichonMom" <jemster> wrote in message
    >>I "tink" I may have found the prob (from NERO website):
    >> Windows XP SP 2 - Compatibility problem
    >> After the installation of Service Pack 2 for Windows XP you may recieve
    >> this
    >> message when starting Nero:
    >>
    >> (the message I mentioned earlier)
    >>
    >> Windows XP service pack 2 is supported by Nero 6 since August 2004 (from
    >> version Nero 6.3.1.20 and all higher versions)
    >>
    >> If you´re still working with an older version, after installing the »
    >> free
    >> Update this message will not appear any more.
    >>
    >> I guess I will go try the update and see how much more trouble I can get
    >> myself into :-)

    Just where can I pick up some + cdr media?

    "peterk" <peterk@nomalarky.net> wrote in message
    All of them are CD's........the r stands for writable and the rw for
    rewritable.The + or - must match the CD recordable drive that you have.Then
    of course you also will need the software that does the actual writting
    which is build into XP.
    peterk
    "BichonMom" <jemster> wrote in message
    > Hi! I tried to copy a small program to a disk to load to another computer.
    > It copied the data but when I try to write it to a blank CD-R disk it just
    > sits there. I just discovered there are several blank disk types cd-r,
    > cd+r,
    > cd+rw what ARE all these and what are they used for????
    > Thanks!

    Well, I'm still having a &*%@! time :-) I have tried to download the update
    from Nero website twice now and each time when it has d/l about 20 MB of
    30MB I get an error message that says it aborted because the server was
    reset. What does THAT mean?

    I said I was trying to save you from puzzling over something I could head
    off for you. Your response clarifies that what I was concerned about did
    not fit your situation. If you have a neighbor who is on broadband you
    could cut the download time drastically.

    "BichonMom" <jemster> wrote in message
    > Oh, I think I've done a little bit of wheel spinning! ha!
    > I tried to download the update last night-said it would take 3 hours g-r-r
    > (I love dial-up) but then it aborted after 2 hours so I guess the hamster
    > will get back on the wheel today!
    > Thanks for your help!!!!
    > I was just about to tell you to check for the update. The comment about
    > the
    > all-in-one is because folks buy them but refer to them as cd drives when
    > they are burning cd's. They are really dvd burners. I just wanted to
    > make
    > sure you weren't spinning your wheels and clearly you are not. The Nero
    > update will fix you up just fine. The update does work fine with SP2.
    > Roxio had the same issue and their update works fine too.

    > "BichonMom" <jemster> wrote in message
    >>I "tink" I may have found the prob (from NERO website):
    >> Windows XP SP 2 - Compatibility problem
    >> After the installation of Service Pack 2 for Windows XP you may recieve
    >> this
    >> message when starting Nero:
    >>
    >> (the message I mentioned earlier)
    >>
    >> Windows XP service pack 2 is supported by Nero 6 since August 2004 (from
    >> version Nero 6.3.1.20 and all higher versions)
    >>
    >> If you´re still working with an older version, after installing the »
    >> free
    >> Update this message will not appear any more.
    >>
    >> I guess I will go try the update and see how much more trouble I can get
    >> myself into :-)

    It means that your ISP has disconnected for inactivity. This is
    SOP for many ISP"s.

    BichonMom wrote:
    | Well, I'm still having a &*%@! time :-) I have tried to download the
    | update from Nero website twice now and each time when it has d/l
    | about 20 MB of 30MB I get an error message that says it aborted
    | because the server was reset. What does THAT mean?
    |
    | "Colin Barnhorst" <colinbarharst(nojunk)@msn.com> wrote in message
    | I said I was trying to save you from puzzling over something I could
    | head off for you. Your response clarifies that what I was concerned
    | about did not fit your situation. If you have a neighbor who is on
    | broadband you could cut the download time drastically.
    |
    || Oh, I think I've done a little bit of wheel spinning! ha!
    || I tried to download the update last night-said it would take 3 hours
    || g-r-r (I love dial-up) but then it aborted after 2 hours so I guess
    || the hamster will get back on the wheel today!
    || Thanks for your help!!!!
    || "Colin Barnhorst" <colinbarharst(nojunk)@msn.com> wrote in message
    || I was just about to tell you to check for the update. The comment
    || about the
    || all-in-one is because folks buy them but refer to them as cd drives
    || when they are burning cd's. They are really dvd burners. I just
    || wanted to make
    || sure you weren't spinning your wheels and clearly you are not. The
    || Nero update will fix you up just fine. The update does work fine
    || with SP2. Roxio had the same issue and their update works fine too.
    || --
    || Colin Barnhorst [MVP Windows - Virtual Machine]
    || (Reply to the group only unless otherwise requested)
    || "BichonMom" <jemster> wrote in message
    ||| I "tink" I may have found the prob (from NERO website):
    ||| Windows XP SP 2 - Compatibility problem
    ||| After the installation of Service Pack 2 for Windows XP you may
    ||| recieve this
    ||| message when starting Nero:
    ||| (the message I mentioned earlier)
    ||| Windows XP service pack 2 is supported by Nero 6 since August 2004
    ||| (from version Nero 6.3.1.20 and all higher versions)
    ||| If you´re still working with an older version, after installing the
    ||| » free
    ||| Update this message will not appear any more.
    ||| I guess I will go try the update and see how much more trouble I
    ||| can get myself into :-)
  18. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    Get a download manager, such as Fresh Download, so you can
    resume downloads from where it quit.

    Also, set Outlook Express to check for new email every 10-15
    minutes, to keep the connection active.

    "BBUNNY" <bbunny@bqik.net> wrote in message
    | It means that your ISP has disconnected for inactivity.
    This is
    | SOP for many ISP"s.
    |
    | BichonMom wrote:
    || Well, I'm still having a &*%@! time :-) I have tried to
    download the
    || update from Nero website twice now and each time when it
    has d/l
    || about 20 MB of 30MB I get an error message that says it
    aborted
    || because the server was reset. What does THAT mean?
    || "Colin Barnhorst" <colinbarharst(nojunk)@msn.com> wrote
    in message
    || I said I was trying to save you from puzzling over
    something I could
    || head off for you. Your response clarifies that what I
    was concerned
    || about did not fit your situation. If you have a neighbor
    who is on
    || broadband you could cut the download time drastically.
    ||| Oh, I think I've done a little bit of wheel spinning!
    ha!
    ||| I tried to download the update last night-said it would
    take 3 hours
    ||| g-r-r (I love dial-up) but then it aborted after 2 hours
    so I guess
    ||| the hamster will get back on the wheel today!
    ||| Thanks for your help!!!!
    ||| "Colin Barnhorst" <colinbarharst(nojunk)@msn.com> wrote
    in message
    ||| I was just about to tell you to check for the update.
    The comment
    ||| about the
    ||| all-in-one is because folks buy them but refer to them
    as cd drives
    ||| when they are burning cd's. They are really dvd
    burners. I just
    ||| wanted to make
    ||| sure you weren't spinning your wheels and clearly you
    are not. The
    ||| Nero update will fix you up just fine. The update does
    work fine
    ||| with SP2. Roxio had the same issue and their update
    works fine too.
    ||| --
    ||| Colin Barnhorst [MVP Windows - Virtual Machine]
    ||| (Reply to the group only unless otherwise requested)
    ||| "BichonMom" <jemster> wrote in message
    August 2004

  19. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    any good computer store.

    "KatakannaMan" <Inkspots@spam.com> wrote in message
    > Just where can I pick up some + cdr media?
    >
    > "peterk" <peterk@nomalarky.net> wrote in message
    > All of them are CD's........the r stands for writable and the rw for
    > rewritable.The + or - must match the CD recordable drive that you
    > have.Then
    > of course you also will need the software that does the actual writting
    > which is build into XP.
    > peterk
    > "BichonMom" <jemster> wrote in message
    >> Hi! I tried to copy a small program to a disk to load to another
    >> computer.
    >> It copied the data but when I try to write it to a blank CD-R disk it
    >> just
    >> sits there. I just discovered there are several blank disk types cd-r,
    >> cd+r,
    >> cd+rw what ARE all these and what are they used for????
    >> Thanks!

Computers CD-Rom Microsoft Windows XP