Cannot boot up Win2K

My machine got Win98 (partition C) and Win2K(partition D) dual boot.
I got a problem of unable to boot up Win2K when I select the Win2K option:
the file of ntoskrnl.exe is missing or corrupted, please reinstall the copy
of this file.

Then I reboot to Win98, opened Windows Explorer and tried to look at the
partition D, I cannot see the partition D, it said it is invalid.

Anyone has idea ?
5 answers Last reply
More about cannot boot win2k

    "Alan" <NOSPAMalan_pltse@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message
    > My machine got Win98 (partition C) and Win2K(partition D) dual boot.
    > I got a problem of unable to boot up Win2K when I select the Win2K option:
    > the file of ntoskrnl.exe is missing or corrupted, please reinstall the
    copy
    > of this file.
    >
    > Then I reboot to Win98, opened Windows Explorer and tried to look at the
    > partition D, I cannot see the partition D, it said it is invalid.
    >
    > Anyone has idea ?

    if win2k is on an NTFS partition
    you cannot access it from win98

    you should be able to boot with your win2k cd
    and enter the recovery console

    then issue the command: fixboot

    I tried to boot from CD by setting in BIOS but didn't boot from CD. It still
    gave me options to select Win98 and Win2k.

    > I tried to boot from CD by setting in BIOS but didn't boot from CD. It
    still
    > gave me options to select Win98 and Win2k.

    then you can make a set of floppy bootdisks to start your win2k
    installation...
    you may need to do an entire repair installtion...
    however if the drive is corrupted...you may have to start from scratch

    My partition D (Win2K) is FAT32.

    "philo" <philo@privacy.net> wrote in message

    > "Alan" <NOSPAMalan_pltse@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message
    > > My machine got Win98 (partition C) and Win2K(partition D) dual boot.
    > > I got a problem of unable to boot up Win2K when I select the Win2K
    option:
    > > the file of ntoskrnl.exe is missing or corrupted, please reinstall the
    > copy
    > > of this file.
    > >
    > > Then I reboot to Win98, opened Windows Explorer and tried to look at the
    > > partition D, I cannot see the partition D, it said it is invalid.
    > >
    > > Anyone has idea ?
    > >

    > if win2k is on an NTFS partition
    > you cannot access it from win98
    >
    > you should be able to boot with your win2k cd
    > and enter the recovery console
    >
    > then issue the command: fixboot

    My hard disk has partitioned into C, D, E and F.
    I just wondered only partition D is corrupted because I can see the other
    partitions in Win98.
    A couple of days ago, when I selected the option for Win2K on startup, it
    went to the Win2K desktop screen and then restart itself, then the option
    appeared and I selected the Win2K option and before the Win2k desktop screen
    came up, the black screen showed the ntoskrnl.exe is either missing or
    corrupted, and the PC stalled.

    > "Alan" <NOSPAMalan_pltse@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message
    > > I tried to boot from CD by setting in BIOS but didn't boot from CD. It
    > still
    > > gave me options to select Win98 and Win2k.
    >

    > then you can make a set of floppy bootdisks to start your win2k
    > installation...
    > you may need to do an entire repair installtion...
    > however if the drive is corrupted...you may have to start from scratch

Partition Boot Windows