darious00777

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2006
I've been wondering about this for a little bit, and the thread about AMD's naming scheme makes me want to post it that much more.

What I'm wondering is, why does every Intel core name make me think that they're going after something that sounds royal?

"Please meet Lord Prescott, and Baron Conroe. Over here is Princess Willemette, and the Keeper of the Northwood."

Anyone know what's going on?

darious00777

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2006
ermm I think Intel uses city names for its cores. I could be wrong, but iirc thats where they get them.

Willamette does sound familiar, now that I think about it. For AMD I know there's Egypt and Italy, Venice and Orleans.

lordaardvark2

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2005
yeah, i believe intel uses like cities and amd may use rivers or something, i'm not really sure. wait, maybe thats bearlake that im thinking of, as in a chipset... oh wellz. i just ignore the names and numbers and jargon... even clock numbers most of the time... 2ghz on one proc is entirely different than 2 ghz on another proc, even by the same manufacturer.

Dante_Jose_Cuervo

Distinguished
May 9, 2006
Well, from the little I know about this, I do know that Intel usually names their cores after a city, sometimes the city in which the cores are fabbed. Now, as for the newer ones I know that Woodcrest is a town in Texas, but Penryhn... that's an island in the south pacific (west of the french polynesian islands), that's all though[/i]

Sirfiroth

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2006
Prescott was hardly a Lord.

But I like the names.

Prescott was named correctly, It was named after Prescott, AZ where it is extremely Hot. :lol: :lol: if you get my drift.

Dante_Jose_Cuervo

Distinguished
May 9, 2006
Um... ok... but if you look on a map... you'll find Penryhn on the south pacific.. I saw it in my history class today. Also, is that temple spelled Peryn or Penryhn? Because....we might be talking about two different things... and I might have misspelled it.

sithscout80

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2006
It is called Penryn. Intel's naming scheme is based on cities.

This list has a lot of code-names for projects and links to the city webpages.
Willamette
Northwood
Prescott
Cedar Mill
Gallatin
Smithfield
Presler
Covington
Mendocino
Coppermine
Tualatin
Banias
Dothan
Yonah

Nocona
Irwindale
Cranford
Potomac
Paxville
Sossaman
Dempsey
Woodcrest
Tulsa

Allendale
Conroe
Merom

Merced
McKinley - City/mountain is up for debate on this one, since I've seen the Itanium 2 shirts that have the mountain on it. Since this was a joint HP-Intel project, the naming scheme may not fit perfectly.
Madison
Hondo
Deerfield
Fanwood
Montecito

killz86

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2005
Intel and amd used to cities i live by and one i live in. Amd Used Toledo. which is in Toledo,ohio and Intel used Northwood which is also in Ohio, i saw amd used Toledo i was like what did they do ponit there fingures at the at the map and say hey i will name this chip Toledo. and i will name this chip Northwood lol. I am waiting for amd or intel to use Oregon. which would not surpise me at all lol.

Brian

m25

Distinguished
May 23, 2006
That's about cores, and even AMD is not kidding here; SPARTA, BARCELONA, they even had some 'royal' cores like the Manchester, Winchester etc.
In model numberings, I thik that AMD's scheme is a bit more accurate; though semprons and athlons with the same rating number are stupid, the worst thing IMO is that intel's numbers have jumped from straightforward GHz to nothing that has to do with performance rating; the QX6700 vs XE6800 :?: :!: , E4300 and E6300 are so near, but yet so intuitively far in model numbers.
On the other hand, AMD not only adopted a still performance rating but they also sticked to it up to now.

pmr

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
Intel and amd used to cities i live by and one i live in. Amd Used Toledo. which is in Toledo,ohio and Intel used Northwood which is also in Ohio, i saw amd used Toledo i was like what did they do ponit there fingures at the at the map and say hey i will name this chip Toledo. and i will name this chip Northwood lol. I am waiting for amd or intel to use Oregon. which would not surpise me at all lol.

Brian

I hope you know that Toledo and Barcelona are in Spain. When they named it toledo, I doubt they where naming it after the us city.

function9

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2002

Brian

I hope you know that Toledo and Barcelona are in Spain. When they named it toledo, I doubt they where naming it after the us city.I agree, no one in their right mind would want anything to do with Ohio. :tongue:

djplanet

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2006
Um... ok... but if you look on a map... you'll find Penryhn on the south pacific.. I saw it in my history class today. Also, is that temple spelled Peryn or Penryhn? Because....we might be talking about two different things... and I might have misspelled it.

Welcome to fabulous Penrhyn Island!
Tongareava-Lagoon-01.jpg

By the way, there's a Penryn in California, east of Sacramento. There's also a Wolfdale in Pennsylvania.