what wold cause popups appearing on W2000 startup ?

Tim

I may have inadvertently acquired some program that is causing popup to
appear on my desktop and also when I run IE 6...even googles popup blocker
will not close these popups...

Someone mentioned I may have gotten some program called Spyware installed on
my system...?

What would cause these new popup and how do I check for this spyware program
?

Also...when these popups started yesterday...I also get an error at start up
saying:

"wupdater.exe has generated errors....Error log is being created"

What is this ?

Thanks,
Tim

Dan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I would run an spyware / adware program to clean out your computer. I use
this program www.lavasoftusa.org

--
Hope this Helps
Dan V

"Tim" <trinaz@cox.net> wrote in message
> I may have inadvertently acquired some program that is causing popup to
> appear on my desktop and also when I run IE 6...even googles popup blocker
> will not close these popups...
>
> Someone mentioned I may have gotten some program called Spyware installed
on
> my system...?
>
> What would cause these new popup and how do I check for this spyware
program
> ?
>
> Also...when these popups started yesterday...I also get an error at start
up
> saying:
>
> "wupdater.exe has generated errors....Error log is being created"
>
> What is this ?
>
> Thanks,
> Tim

Jim

Adaware is an excellent program to run as Dan suggested.
If you do install it and run it, make sure that you
check "often" for updates. Lavasoft updates the program
almost every other day or so it seems.

You might also consider installing a fire-wall program and
anti-virus software if you aren't already. A fire-wall
can close open ports that are allowing the popups to enter.

confers no rights