what wold cause popups appearing on W2000 startup ?

I may have inadvertently acquired some program that is causing popup to
appear on my desktop and also when I run IE 6...even googles popup blocker
will not close these popups...

Someone mentioned I may have gotten some program called Spyware installed on
my system...?

What would cause these new popup and how do I check for this spyware program
?

Also...when these popups started yesterday...I also get an error at start up
saying:

"wupdater.exe has generated errors....Error log is being created"

What is this ?

Thanks,
Tim
2 answers Last reply
More about what wold popups appearing w2000 startup

    I would run an spyware / adware program to clean out your computer. I use
    this program www.lavasoftusa.org

    --
    Hope this Helps
    Dan V

    "Tim" <trinaz@cox.net> wrote in message
    > I may have inadvertently acquired some program that is causing popup to
    > appear on my desktop and also when I run IE 6...even googles popup blocker
    > will not close these popups...
    >
    > Someone mentioned I may have gotten some program called Spyware installed
    on
    > my system...?
    >
    > What would cause these new popup and how do I check for this spyware
    program
    > ?
    >
    > Also...when these popups started yesterday...I also get an error at start
    up
    > saying:
    >
    > "wupdater.exe has generated errors....Error log is being created"
    >
    > What is this ?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Tim

    Adaware is an excellent program to run as Dan suggested.
    If you do install it and run it, make sure that you
    check "often" for updates. Lavasoft updates the program
    almost every other day or so it seems.

    You might also consider installing a fire-wall program and
    anti-virus software if you aren't already. A fire-wall
    can close open ports that are allowing the popups to enter.

Internet Explorer Spyware Windows