Help me see if i can fix an older pc

odet

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2007
Hey everyone I have a computer that just stoped working about 3-4 years ago and was just wondering if there is a way to fix it. First thought I had was that it was the power supply wasn't working any more, I thought this because a month or two before it cut out and i had to buy a new one. So I thought maybe the power supply again? I ended up buying a new computer anyways and it runs great so its not like a need to fix this one really bad i just found it in the corner one day, dragged it out, plugged it and the light came on, which wouldn't happen before i rememberd. Nothing would come up on the monitar though... I noticed that the CPU fan wasn't moveing eather, Right when I'd start up the computer it would run for about 5 seconds and then just cut out. The things that look like batteries kinda look fried. There right by the cpu, they kind have like dirt looking resadue on the tops while the other batteries around the MoBO look fine. Theres memory, i had a harddrive and cd drive when i tried starting it, but nothing. I think it's an intel CPU but im not sure, it's pretty old and small mother board, i don't even think it has a CMOS clear thing, I'll keep looking for one though. The motherboard requires a 4 pin power supply and 24 pin, i do have and plug them in but nothing. any one with ideas please try and help me think what may be causing the computer to work.

Clear the CMOS by removing the coin cell battery for 30 seconds.
It may be necessary to replace the battery, if the computer has been sitting around for a long time.
If that doesn't work take the motherboard out put it on a piece of cardboard with only the CPU in it and see if you get any beeps.
Then add memory and see if you get beeps. Then add video card and look for video and beeps.

blunc

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2006
The things that "look like batteries" by the CPU are most likely electrolytic capacitors, they are "battery-like" in that they have a corrosive substance in them.

If you are seeing capacitors that have residue on them (as long as it's not just dust), then you are looking at bad or failed capacitors(caps). One of the fail modes for caps is internal shorting, the power supply is designed to shut off when it encounters motherboard shorts and based upon your account this seems to be what has happened.

In other words, your motherboard has most likely failed, clearing CMOS will not resolve a failed motherboard.

You can probably take out the hard drive and put it in the new computer, or you could replace the motherboard and revive the old computer.

odet

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2007
Yah, I think it's done , but can you explain why the CPU fan runs for about 5 secs and then stops or why even the computer light starts for that matter. As for clearing the CMOS how would i go by doing that when i've looked all over and can not find a 3pin with a jumper on it. Is there a different way to clear CMOS on the older boards, this one is about 5 years at least.

blunc

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2006
That is because the power supply tries to do it's job until it senses problems with the rest of the system.

Sometimes the "clear CMOS" jumper is just two pins, if you have the manual for the motherboard it should have a map/layout diagram to get you in the ballpark. If you don't have the manual, you can usually download it from the vendor website as long as you can locate the motherboard type that usually gets printed on the motherboard.