Sign in with
Your question

7900GT vs. 7900GT, no your not seeing double...

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 24, 2007 2:57:40 AM

So after I bought the 8800GTS and it didn't fit in my case, the only other option was to step down to the 7900 level. I was considering getting the 7950GT, but it doesn't seem like the card preforms well enough to be about $100 more than the 7900, aside from the fact that the XFX 7950GT is passively cooled [it seems like the 7950gt is only 2 or 3fps faster than 7900gt].

On newegg.com I have been looking at 7900GT's and I found these two, and I really can't see any difference between the two:
Card 1: Molex Power
Card 2: PCIe Power

I notice only three differences in the cards:
-The Heat sinks/fans
-The Price [why this is different IDK]
-and the power connectors

So my questions are:
Is either molex or PCIe power better or is there no difference but shape?
And is there something else I am missing between the two that I don't see?
and do you think stepping up to 7950GT is worth the extra money?

I've read all the reviews to see if anyone comments on something that makes it distinguishable from the other card, but I found nothing. Let me know what you think.

Thanks

More about : 7900gt 7900gt double

February 24, 2007 4:47:32 AM

get the 7950GT if youre gonna get one. Or just wait for a DX10 card since youre spending a lot of money. May as well go DX10 while youre at it.
Related resources
February 24, 2007 4:55:30 AM

Yeah now isn't the best time to blow $200 on a Graphics card, but that X1950XT the other guy mentioned looks waay better for the money either way. Get it if you must but otherwise get something to hold you off.
February 24, 2007 6:01:36 PM

Quote:
Get an X1950XT instead, unless you HAVE to have an Nvidia card.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681...

that looks like a great card, but that card, like the 8800GTS I originally bought won't fit in my case either. First I can't use a double wide card because my only [1] PCI 16x sits at the top of my case, and the 8800gts was too long as well, [my cpu and heat sink are in the way] so its likely that card will be as well.
As far as d10x cards, the 8800 is the only series from Nvidia that runs it, and again they wont fit, but also I don't have Vista, and I will probably just buy another computer before I do that.

So you really think the 7950gt is worth it [because that is probably the best nvidia card that will fit in my case]??

Quote:
Yeah now isn't the best time to blow $200 on a Graphics card, but that X1950XT the other guy mentioned looks waay better for the money either way. Get it if you must but otherwise get something to hold you off.

I am running off the 6800XT and its not a bad graphics card, but it sucks for the games I want to play. And I'd prefer not to wait longer than a month or so, I'm guessing you ment hold off till summer?

Also, this card doesn't look to bad, it's even cheaper and its close to the ones I mentioned above as far as core speeds http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681...
February 25, 2007 2:17:48 AM

Well actually as long as you won't be playing Oblivion you really don't need to spend that much. If you want a smaller card, get the 7900 GS or even a 7600 GT if you really want to save money. That's what I am using and it plays most games just fine when paired with a C2D.
February 25, 2007 2:50:47 AM

Quote:
Well actually as long as you won't be playing Oblivion you really don't need to spend that much. If you want a smaller card, get the 7900 GS or even a 7600 GT if you really want to save money. That's what I am using and it plays most games just fine when paired with a C2D.

I'll be playing at least the following:
Oblivion, CoD2, America's Army, FlighSimX [probably the most graphically intense] AOEIII,
and that's all I can think of off the top of my head.
February 25, 2007 3:28:47 AM

If u already have the card, why don't you buy a case instead of a new gfx card?
February 25, 2007 4:53:31 AM

Quote:

because if i get a new case im gonna want a new mobo, [one that can over clock the cpu, has more than 1 pcix16 slot, more SATA ports, higher FSB], and if i get a new mobo, i might as well get a new cpu.... see where this is goin?

also my mobo is designed for a special type of case with cpu in front
February 25, 2007 1:26:47 PM

Quote:

because if i get a new case im gonna want a new mobo, [one that can over clock the cpu, has more than 1 pcix16 slot, more SATA ports, higher FSB], and if i get a new mobo, i might as well get a new cpu.... see where this is goin?

Why does a new case make you need a new mobo? Just keep the 8800 GTS you have for crying out loud and get a Centurion 5 to save money.
February 25, 2007 2:04:04 PM

Quote:

you have serious problems...kill yourself :twisted:
February 25, 2007 2:43:18 PM

I don't seem to follow/ understand your anology...If you could pleas tell me/ us why you new mobo etc etc if you get new case? If you said you'll need new cpu if you buy new board, I would understand, but this :roll: ... Well, if you plan to kill yourself or others (except me), put me in your wish as sole legatee :wink: of all your belongings
February 26, 2007 12:22:56 AM

It looks like i failed to clarify

I HAVE ALREADY SENT THE CARD BACK, LIKE BEFORE I STARTED THIS THREAD and it wont fit in my case because MY MOBO DOESNT ALLOW ENOUGH SPACE BETWEEN PCI16X SLOT AND CPU, I JUST CANT DO IT WITH OUT A NEW MOBO, A CASE IS ONLY HALF THE BATTLE and like i said if im gonna get a new mobo, might as well get a better processor.

my computer is on the low side, and I dont want to spend anymore money on it than a graphics card, thats all I want to make better, other wise i want a new computer, theres no sense in me buying a new case for the 8800gts when im likely to buy a new computer in the next year or two, and when the 7900 series will probably get me buy until then

So can we get back to the 7900gt vs 7950gt or something related to the 7900 series
February 26, 2007 12:50:24 AM

7950GT (256MB) for $219.99
February 26, 2007 1:33:14 AM

That's stupid; you could get a new case for less than $50 and keep the much faster 8800GTS.
February 26, 2007 2:20:41 AM

Quote:
That's stupid; you could get a new case for less than $50 and keep the much faster 8800GTS.

YOU DONT SEEM TO GET IT, THERE IS NOT ENOUGH PHYSICAL SPACE ON MY MOTHER BOARD TO ALLOW THE CARD TO FIT, SITTING IN THE PICX16 SLOT, THE BACK END OF THE CARD RUNS INTO THE CPU/HEATSINK THEREFORE IT SIMPLY CANT FIT WITH OUT A NEW MOBO!

not tryin to be mean, but i said this twice already
February 26, 2007 2:23:18 AM

Quote:
7950GT (256MB) for $219.99

The image would help so i can try to see if the card is too long, the reason i was lookin at the XFX version is because it is passivly cooled, and as a result of no fan the card is short enough to fit in my case
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681...
but i can assume that buy your suggestion you think it is worth the extra money to get a 7950gt over a 7000gt?
February 26, 2007 3:36:06 AM

show us a image of your pc, case, and mobo etc

labled with specs and dimensions.
February 26, 2007 4:31:00 AM

Quote:
show us a image of your pc, case, and mobo etc

labled with specs and dimensions.

here is a quick one, have to do dimensions another time
things in green are all after market, so you can see case wasnt designed for addons

Computer specs:
-Dual Core Intel P4 @ 3.0GHz
-2 GB of Dual Channel SDDR2 @ 2x1GB [Factory Over clocked, but I forget what the specs are off the top of my head]
-XFX 6800XT [current]
-CD Drive
-DVD+R/DVD+RW Drive [SATA]
-2 SATA Hard Drives
-An additional Antec adjustable speed fan
-and I also have a Regular PCI card that has access to two SATA Ports
I am planning on adding a sound card, and possibly another fan to make sure my graphics card stays nice and cool
February 26, 2007 6:43:37 PM

The case looks like it is a Dell 5000 series, am I correct ?

If that is the case, I have fitted a 7900GT with an external power requirement, Molex, in one before with no major problem. The card was a single width one, XFX I believe, cannot remember for sure.

The only problem I had was connecting the power supply to the card. The machine did not supply one nor did the card so I had to get my own cables for it.

However, I do not have any other cards fitted so I do not know how much clearance you will have.

Hope this help.
February 26, 2007 7:40:54 PM

Not to beat a dead horse, but you could always get a compact heatsink if that's the only thing the 8800 hits. You'd probably have to get a molex fan connector, or maybe steal the connectors used by the fans that currently move air over the passive heatsink, but it is an option.
February 28, 2007 1:42:22 AM

Quote:
Not to beat a dead horse, but you could always get a compact heatsink if that's the only thing the 8800 hits. You'd probably have to get a molex fan connector, or maybe steal the connectors used by the fans that currently move air over the passive heatsink, but it is an option.

like i said, all the more money i want to spend is the video card, and thats it, all the rest goes toward a new computer
February 28, 2007 1:37:12 PM

do NOT get the XFX passive 7950GT - I sent mine back when temps hit 118 C.

I got the eVGA to replace it, and even it required opening up the expansion slots and an extra case fan in a poorly ventilated DELL.
!