Upgrade to Win2k

I'm upgrading (finally) from Winnt4 to Win2k on our main file server. There is one other server that is part of this domain. I have setup a new server with Win2k and a new domain name and will pull the old server out and put the new one in its place. The other server that is part of the domain is a Winn4TSE server. I will have to join this machine to the new domain name, correct? My main concern is if this will have an adverse affect on my TSE users. Does anyone have any experience with running a 4.0TSE BDC server after upgrading the primary to Win2k?

Any info would be appreciated.
1 answer Last reply
More about upgrade win2k

    You might want to take some time and do some more research on moving from NT
    4.0 to Win 2k. You will want to plan this carefully, you have to make
    decisions during the install of Win 2k that may take a format to recover
    from.

    There is upgrade
    See:
    How To: Upgrade Windows NT Server 4.0 to Windows 2000 Server

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;298107

    And Migration.
    See:
    How to Set Up ADMT for Windows NT 4.0 to Windows 2000 Migration

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;260871

    Your plan does not cover *how* you are going to move the TSE BDC to the new
    Win 2k domain. There is no MS supported way to move a NT 4.0 BDC from one
    domain to another except to reinstall.

    Not sure what you want your final outcome to be but you should *really*
    consider removing Win 2k from the "new" server and installing NT 4.0 on it
    as a BDC while connected to your existing network, promote to PDC then
    follow the first article above on upgrading a NT 4.0 domain to Win 2k. Doing
    it this way, you will not have to worry about moving BDCs from one domain to
    another.

    See:

    HOW TO: Promote and Demote Domain Controllers in Windows 2000

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;238369

    DNS is totally different in Win 2k. You can not use the same DNS set up you
    have in NT 4.0. Correctly configures DNS is a MUST in Win 2k. Without DNS
    being set up properly Active Directory will not work.

    See:

    Setting Up the Domain Name System for Active Directory

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;237675

    How to: Configure DNS for Internet Access In Windows 2000

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;300202

    SRV Resource Records May Not Be Created on Domain Controller

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;239897

    How to Verify the Creation of SRV Records for a Domain Controller

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;241515

    hth

    DDS W 2k MVP MCSE

    "Anna Mantica" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I'm upgrading (finally) from Winnt4 to Win2k on our main file server.
    There is one other server that is part of this domain. I have setup a new
    server with Win2k and a new domain name and will pull the old server out and
    put the new one in its place. The other server that is part of the domain is
    a Winn4TSE server. I will have to join this machine to the new domain name,
    correct? My main concern is if this will have an adverse affect on my TSE
    users. Does anyone have any experience with running a 4.0TSE BDC server
    after upgrading the primary to Win2k?

    > Any info would be appreciated.

Domain File Server Microsoft Domain Name Servers Windows