Copying system to a new disk

I want to upgrade my hard drive on my laptop. Can I do this
without my original Win2000 disk? I can copy the entire disk to
the new disk, but I don't know how to make a disk bootable under
win2000. If I need the win2000 I can try to get it, but I would
really rather not have to do a new install if I can avoid it.

--
Matt Silberstein

Donate to the C.A.N.D.L.E.S. Museum, burnt down by arsonists who wrote
"Remember Timothy McVeigh" on the wall.

C.A.N.D.L.E.S. stands for Children of Auschwitz Nazi Deadly Lab Experiments
Survivors.

www.candles-museum.com

Matt Silberstein wrote:

> I want to upgrade my hard drive on my laptop. Can I do this
> without my original Win2000 disk? I can copy the entire disk to
> the new disk, but I don't know how to make a disk bootable under
> win2000. If I need the win2000 I can try to get it, but I would
> really rather not have to do a new install if I can avoid it.

For this particular situation, it would be better to make a
disk image of the original hard drive. Third-party apps such
as Symantec Ghost, PowerQuest DriveImage, Acronis TrueImage,
etc., do the job nicely of creating an image file. The image
file is then restored to the new hard drive. Because this is
done by copying the image file to the HD on a sector-by-sector
basis, the boot tracks are also transferred intact.