Win2kPro to Win2k server

We are a small company that uses Win2000 Prof workstation
as a file server. Is it possible to upgrade this to
Win2000 Server w/o losing all the users & group policies?
Will these existing users be carried out to Win2k Server's
Active Directory? If not, how can I copy it?

Any help is highly appreciated. Thanks.

Note that there's no upgrade path from a workstation OS to a server OS.
You'll also very likely need new server-class hardware to run W2k server -
I'd insist on hardware RAID, fast SCSI disks, plenty of memory, tape backup,
server antivirus software, UPS, etc - you don't want to use inferior
hardware to run a server, or you'll probably spend more time trying to fix
things that go wrong. Don't skimp!

Not sure how you can migrate users & policies from a workgroup with no
server OS, but someone else may have an answer. If it's a small company, I'd
probably just crreate it all manually.

Cley wrote:
> We are a small company that uses Win2000 Prof workstation
> as a file server. Is it possible to upgrade this to
> Win2000 Server w/o losing all the users & group policies?
> Will these existing users be carried out to Win2k Server's
> Active Directory? If not, how can I copy it?
>
> Any help is highly appreciated. Thanks.

We actually have a new machine. But my users have grown to
about 50. I was hoping there could be a way, at least just
to copy all the users & user groups to the new server.

Thank anyway. :)

best regards

Someone else may post, but as I said, I don't know of any way to migrate a
strictly peer to peer network to a client/server one (without even having a
standalone server OS) without a lot of manual effort. Best of luck to you,
though!