please rate my budget overclocking rig (intel platform)

flubber5653

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
Here's the specs:

CPU : Intel Core 2 Duo E4300
CPU cooler : Thermalright Ultra-120 + Silverstone FM121 fan
Motherboard : BioStar TForce 965PT
Motherboard chipset cooler : Thermalright HR-05
RAM : Kingston Value RAM 2x512MB 667mhz
Graphics Card : XFX 7600GT XXX Edition
VGA Cooler : Thermalright HR-03
SATA HDD & IDE Optical Drives : Taken from old rig

Planning to overclock the CPU to 3ghz++. will this setup do? please post any useful information, thanks :D I'm trying to keep the costs down, so if anyone has other recommendations for the components, do tell :p

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
Here's the specs:

CPU : Intel Core 2 Duo E4300
CPU cooler : Thermalright Ultra-120 + Silverstone FM121 fan
Motherboard : BioStar TForce 965PT
Motherboard chipset cooler : Thermalright HR-05
RAM : Kingston Value RAM 2x512MB 667mhz
Graphics Card : XFX 7600GT XXX Edition
VGA Cooler : Thermalright HR-03
SATA HDD & IDE Optical Drives : Taken from old rig

Planning to overclock the CPU to 3ghz++. will this setup do? please post any useful information, thanks :D I'm trying to keep the costs down, so if anyone has other recommendations for the components, do tell :p
Looks good. Most of the components will serve your overclock well. The only thing that i can foresee holding you back, is the Value RAM. It's rated for 333MHz, which will just get you to 3GHz(333x9). It's quite possible that that RAM will clock higher than 333MHz, but if it doesn't then you are stuck at 3GHz(still a nice overclock, and powerful processor). Just keep in mind, that you really want to maintain synchronous memory speed(1:1), which means you need at least DDR2-667 to hit the 3GHz mark. GL :)

PS: Cooling choices look pretty good too.(I'm a Thermalright lover) :wink:

flubber5653

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
thanks for the info. i had some doubts of the RAM being the bottleneck if I overclock but you've cleared those doubts :D maybe by starving for one more week I can settle for 800mhz RAM :lol:

I just love Thermalright coolers, especially the HR-03 8) was hoping to get the Noctua CPU and chipset cooler though.. :?

rammedstein

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2006
yeah, get a very good psu, voltage stability can be a big enemy, lol, don't go for "highest watt for your money" either, because they usually aren't the best quality, go for something like a thermal take tough power 650w

flubber5653

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
the PSU i have right now is the Enermax Liberty 500watt PSU. will it be good enough?

One more thing to add. The Biostar board is not considered a very good ocer vs the Asus or Gigabyte. Its good but... I would stick with Asus or Gigabyte. This would be my choice.

GIGABYTE GA-965P-DS3
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813128012

You would want the 3.3 rev. You will not be guaranted that you will get the 3.3 rev with newegg but i know clubit.com sells the 3.3rev.

Best of Luck.
i've read a review on anandtech.com, it put the BioStar board with the Gigabyte DS3, and the BioStar was getting some pretty good scores :D
check this out http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2871

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
the PSU i have right now is the Enermax Liberty 500watt PSU. will it be good enough?

One more thing to add. The Biostar board is not considered a very good ocer vs the Asus or Gigabyte. Its good but... I would stick with Asus or Gigabyte. This would be my choice.

GIGABYTE GA-965P-DS3
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813128012

You would want the 3.3 rev. You will not be guaranted that you will get the 3.3 rev with newegg but i know clubit.com sells the 3.3rev.

Best of Luck.
i've read a review on anandtech.com, it put the BioStar board with the Gigabyte DS3, and the BioStar was getting some pretty good scores :D
check this out http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2871Yeah, that Enermax should be fine. Also...yes, the Biostar performs quite well...especially for a Biostar. :wink: A lot of people are buying them, they are a good budget board, with better-than-budget features/performance. GL :)

sarsoft

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2006
Yes it will be enough to power your system.

check this out http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2871
Good find. We will have to wait and see what GA-965P-DS3 rev 3.3 can do in benchies and in overclocking abilities.

dragonsprayer

Splendid
Jan 3, 2007
make sure you get the bolt down kit for the u-120 or its the bolt version

you may want to bend the hold down mechanism slightly to increase pressure. check you temps if you get high temps pull the cooler and check the grease for total contact.

add more grease and bend the 4-legged h-d mechanism

if you get higher then 35c i would pull the cooler and check

its the best cooler made - the push pins are not good!

chipset cooler: make sure you add a fan they work better that way.

note: my e6300 at 2.7ghz runs 38c (100% stablity test hc mode) in 72f room with the ultra 90 - its half the price. the 120 is over kill for you chip unless you plan on over volting really high