I passed up a chick so I could afford a Corsair HX620

NamelessMC

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2005
True story, my ex girlfriend called me tonight.

I had about $110-115 from selling my old motherboard and ram. I was planning on buying a Corsair HX520 (Which is why it's in my sig, because it's the last part to get my system running), but I REALLY wanted the 620.

Finally the guy buying my old case sent me the Paypal for the final payment, and I thought, OMG I have enough for the HX620.

My ex called me saying she wanted to know if I wanted to go to the movies tonight. Any guy here knows... Ex calling to hang out usually means you're gonna get your "peanut butter and jelly sandwich", but I kept thinking... OMG CORSAIR HX620!1

Long story short... I sat around for 45 minutes staring at my Cooler Master Centurion chassis sitting there with no PSU. I kept imagining the black and yellow PSU and the black and red PSU. I imagined getting some. Then I'd go back to imagining the PSU and the different variations. Black and yellow to me meant, "Good job, you got a good one" *pat on the back*. But black and red!? That means, "Dude, you're awesome."

To people that love PSU's, the difference between a Corsair HX520 and an HX620 is like the difference between winning the lottery and winning a free cheeseburger at Burger King.

Maybe if my ex was in front of me in lingerie, instead of on the phone with me where I can only hear her voice and TRY to imagine what she's wearing at the time, I would've made a different choice. But to bring this epic story to an end... I'm waiting on my tracking number from ZipZoomFly and my ex girlfriend has my phone number blocked.

EDIT: Oh jesus... Just when I think I made a great decision, I get an email. My card was refunded and my order was canceled because they're OUT OF STOCK. Sigh....

yipsl

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2006
True story, my ex girlfriend called me tonight...

EDIT: Oh jesus... Just when I think I made a great decision, I get an email. My card was refunded and my order was canceled because they're OUT OF STOCK. Sigh....

You suffer from a PC jones. Plus, you suffer from the curse of Smithfield. I hope you get help. Seriously, I only half believe your story. What you didn't go into was why the girl was your ex. If it was her breakup, then you could be right for saving the cash. If it was yours, then you lost a chance to get her back.

Trust me, from about 30 years past college, it's not all about "peanut butter and jelly sandwiches". While certain activities create bonding, they won't create the right kind of bond until stability is there. This does not sound like a stable relationship.

The girl I had the hots for through college was nice, but we didn't have much in common besides being in love with love. When I wanted to see Star Wars, she agreed if I'd take her to a Robby Benson movie about basketball.

Eventually, I met the right girl and one of the criteria besides love was that she was the type to consider a Star Wars movie a date movie and to also think that a PC upgrade or new build was a necessary thing. Well prior to our first PC, we were into the Commodore 128, Laser 128 and Atari 1200, not to mention all sorts of early console systems.

I've been building PCs since the 386SX days when the processor was soldered on the motherboard, and I've gone through so many processors, boards and power supplies that I'd have to make a list to remember. Once I found the right girl, I never wanted to upgrade.

Hope you can get the PSU you want. I plan on just switching out the Mbox's average Apex 400 watt with a nice Seasonic 500 watt with 35 volts on the 12 volt rail. Too bad the Cooler Master Realpower 450 in my old Northwood system my kid's now using has only 22 amps on the 12 volt rail. That 8800GTS I want needs something like 29.

PSUs come and go, but the memory of a girlfriend, good or bad, is forever. So maybe you made the right choice. When you make the best choice, you won't have any doubts that the girl comes before the PC build. Just find one that has an addiction to CRPGs, modding, decent hardware and has her own unique way of overclocking your life.

NamelessMC

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2005
I really really needed to know all that, you nauseating adolescent.

Grow up.

I highly doubt that you've ever had any.

Because you know my life story right? And I'm sorry, but a person who's only 23 years old who doesn't take every relationship he gets into serious, is far from an "adolescent". You are either old and single or just plain old, but I'm sure your love life is crap just because of how anal you are about other people talking about the funny stuff they experience. A guy like me wouldn't get mad at an off topic or otherwise joking thread on a forum I frequent as long as the main course of the story has to do with the forum topic. "POWER SUPPLIES, PC Cases & Case Mods". If anything, it's probably guys like me that should doubt guys like you have ever had any.

PSUs come and go, but the memory of a girlfriend, good or bad, is forever. So maybe you made the right choice. When you make the best choice, you won't have any doubts that the girl comes before the PC build.

With this girl, it was all bad. In fact I'm sure her mention of physical benefits of going out after we broke up is merely an attempt to get me back. It's not the first time it's happened and I'm usually too hard-headed to fall for it.

This thread wasn't to say, "Hey look guys I picked a PC part over my ex girlfriend." it was more or less so other PSU techies can laugh at the dumb crap I go through, and it only made it even more ironic that my order was out of stock and she blocked my # and doesn't want to speak to me again.

I don't believe in marriage or having kids, at least not for me. I'm not that kind of person, so of course I'm not going to take most of the relationships I come into seriously, and I'm honest with the girls I date about it. In fact, it's usually on the first or second date that we start talking about our life goals and what we think of families, of which I promptly say two things:
1) If I ever have kids, I'm adopting
2) I don't believe in marrying young because it's a rushed decision that leads to a failed marriage and dysfunctional family.

The main course of the story was the Corsair HX620 anyway. I really want that power supply, badly. And if getting it means passing up on spending $20 to do something else with someone else, girl or not, I think I'd rather be called single and a loser for a week or so than spend the next 4-5 months staring at my desktop "wishing I did".

Moral of this thread is, "Don't gimp on your power supply, even if it means you can get some."

Does anyone know where I can find an HX620 for a good deal? ZZF had it for $143 with a $20 rebate. ClubIT had it for $137 with a $20 rebate.

ADM-86

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2006
I actually think this is a good post,yeah its not 100% about pc´s and pc tech but its a funny story, and this forum needs this kind of story's from time to time, to relax and laugh, I mean all I am seeing lately is a constant flame war ! :evil:
for example Malazan
I really really needed to know all that, you nauseating adolescent.

Grow up.

I highly doubt that you've ever had any.

In every thread, tech or no tech related theres always the immature bastard that is trying to be the sarcastic type but ends up being the stupid type and causes a flame war all over the place, I think that if we really want to improve the quality of this forums we shouldn't be killing or flaming this kind of post, we should be trying to get rid of all the closed minded persons who are fanatics and only see life as black or white, or the stupid kind that thinks that they know everything about a pc just because they bought one.
As for me I only sit and enjoy the free knowledge that its being offered here everyday and from time to time laugh at a funny post like this :wink:

741171866392ry5.gif

apt403

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2006
Hell yeah! Thats what i would have done. Who needs a gf? I mean, you can get the same thing from a watermelon after a few minutes in a microwave!

ADM-86

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2006
Hell yeah! Thats what i would have done. Who needs a gf? I mean, you can get the same thing from a watermelon after a few minutes in a microwave!

:lol: LOL!

I really hope you arent serious :D

741171866392ry5.gif

sailer

Splendid
With this girl, it was all bad. In fact I'm sure her mention of physical benefits of going out after we broke up is merely an attempt to get me back. It's not the first time it's happened and I'm usually too hard-headed to fall for it.

Only you can whether your choice was good or not. But we don't need too many details or this will sound like some cheap romance novel some women like to read.

Oh yes, enjoy the psu and your computer. I think you made a good choice there.

ch1ckench0wme1n

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2006

I had about $110-115 from selling my old motherboard and ram. I was planning on buying a Corsair HX520 (Which is why it's in my sig, because it's the last part to get my system running), but I REALLY wanted the 620.

Finally the guy buying my old case sent me the Paypal for the final payment, and I thought, OMG I have enough for the HX620.

My ex called me saying she wanted to know if I wanted to go to the movies tonight. Any guy here knows... Ex calling to hang out usually means you're gonna get your "peanut butter and jelly sandwich", but I kept thinking... OMG CORSAIR HX620!1

Long story short... I sat around for 45 minutes staring at my Cooler Master Centurion chassis sitting there with no PSU. I kept imagining the black and yellow PSU and the black and red PSU. I imagined getting some. Then I'd go back to imagining the PSU and the different variations. Black and yellow to me meant, "Good job, you got a good one" *pat on the back*. But black and red!? That means, "Dude, you're awesome."

To people that love PSU's, the difference between a Corsair HX520 and an HX620 is like the difference between winning the lottery and winning a free cheeseburger at Burger King.

Maybe if my ex was in front of me in lingerie, instead of on the phone with me where I can only hear her voice and TRY to imagine what she's wearing at the time, I would've made a different choice. But to bring this epic story to an end... I'm waiting on my tracking number from ZipZoomFly and my ex girlfriend has my phone number blocked.

UR ex must be a fat chick.

yipsl

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2006
I don't believe in marriage...

1) If I ever have kids, I'm adopting
2) I don't believe in marrying young because it's a rushed decision that leads to a failed marriage and dysfunctional family.

I didn't believe in marriage when I was young either. I believed in love and having a good time. By the time I was in my late thirties, I believed in marriage. All families are dysfunctional to some degree, and kids can be a blessing and a curse on a day to day basis. The one thing that keeps me sane is that I remember I was a kid once and step back and think "did I do anything like that?" I usually find that I did.

The main course of the story was the Corsair HX620 anyway. I really want that power supply, badly. And if getting it means passing up on spending $20 to do something else with someone else, girl or not, I think I'd rather be called single and a loser for a week or so than spend the next 4-5 months staring at my desktop "wishing I did".

Moral of this thread is, "Don't gimp on your power supply, even if it means you can get some."

Does anyone know where I can find an HX620 for a good deal? ZZF had it for $143 with a $20 rebate. ClubIT had it for $137 with a $20 rebate.

Isn't it at Newegg for $169?

CORSAIR CMPSU-620HX ATX12V v2.2 and EPS12V 2.91 620W Power Supply 100 - 240 V UL, CUL, CE, CB, FCC Class B, TUV, CCC, C-tick - Retail

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817139002

I hope your motherboard's upgradable to a cooler C2D CPU. Yes, those Smithfields are hotties, but why make global warming worse?

Hex

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2004

LMFAO!! That's great. :lol:
I'd recommend the 620HX. I have it and it's a good PSU. If it is out of stock at ZipZoomwhaterver, try Newegg. Newegg probably has it cheaper.

CORSAIR CMPSU-620HX

P.S. Don't worry about the guys without a sense of humor. They have probably never had girlfriends, and are bashing you out of jealousy. :lol:

JimSpaza

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2006

You made a great decision even though your order was cancelled. Here's why:

1) Spending $$$ on an ex-girlfriend at the movies benefits you one (1) night...maybe. Spending $$$ on PC gives you repetitive benefits until the part wears out many years later.

2) The PC doesn't care how much or how little $$$ you spend on it. 99% of all women care about the $$$ thing even if they say that they don't care. Ever notice how ugly, rich guys still get the women? Your PC only cares about being turned on once in a while. :)

3) You and your PC don't have to deal with emotional nonsense like "does this new hard drive make me look fat?".

4) You spend $$$ on your PC and you can pretty much count on results. You spend $$$ on an ex-girlfriend and it's a crapshoot at best.

Keep in mind the possibilities:

* Your ex-girlfriend just wanted to show off to her friends how she can still get you to do ANYTHING that she wants simply by a phone call. :evil:

* Your ex-girlfriend just got dissed by her current boyfriend(s) and she is only looking for some boosting of her ego or self-esteem. She may have just wanted to reaffirm that she can get a date if she really wants one. :x

* She wants to see the movie, is too cheap to pay for it herself, and has you as a backup sugar-daddy. :evil: :evil: :evil:

* You go out to the movies with her, pay for everything, she flirts, you get horny, and then she tells you she has a headache on the way to your place. So, you drop her off, you're still horny, you have no $$$...

...and your PC has now been disrespected in favor of some chick.

No, buddy. YOU MADE THE RIGHT CHOICE! :p :p :p

NamelessMC

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2005

lol, this made the thread right there.

Too many responses, too few minutes to answer to them all.

Yeah, I plan on going C2D in the near future. I just wanted to wait for the price drop, but didn't want to lose out on the 7900GS to get a core 2 duo now. especially since i've heard so little good things about the 4300 over-clocking on low end motherboards.

I ended up getting really sick with allergies and a cold anyway, so i'm gonna be locked in my room anyway.

Newegg has the 620 for $169 but that's a high premium for it. Other sites had it for $139-145, I wanted to keep it in that area. The ClubIT one was $137 with a $20 rebate, but it sold out :(

I might end up with the 520 anyway, but I'll use the remainder to buy a new game or something. The 520's more than enough to power my system and I can just buy the 620 when rebates come back.

yipsl

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2006
Newegg has the 620 for $169 but that's a high premium for it. Other sites had it for $139-145, I wanted to keep it in that area. The ClubIT one was $137 with a $20 rebate, but it sold out :(

I might end up with the 520 anyway, but I'll use the remainder to buy a new game or something. The 520's more than enough to power my system and I can just buy the 620 when rebates come back.

Maybe it's out of stock everywhere else because whatever rebate Corsair was offering expired and when it comes back in stock at ClubIt etc. it will be at Newegg's prices?

I'm not sure you really need a PSU that costs more than your processor! Why not keep the one you've got (it's decent) and upgrade the CPU? For the cost of the 620HK at Newegg, you can get a C2D, or if your motherboard won't support it then even a Pressler runs cooler than those Smithfields.

All "Miss Smithfield" can do for you now is help keep the temperature up in your room while you recover. I swear, Intel should put those things in smart space heaters, they wouldn't need heating elements, just a good fan to circulate the hot air. Especially if they factory overclock the thing. :p

NamelessMC

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2005
Maybe it's out of stock everywhere else because whatever rebate Corsair was offering expired and when it comes back in stock at ClubIt etc. it will be at Newegg's prices?

I'm not sure you really need a PSU that costs more than your processor! Why not keep the one you've got (it's decent) and upgrade the CPU? For the cost of the 620HK at Newegg, you can get a C2D, or if your motherboard won't support it then even a Pressler runs cooler than those Smithfields.

All "Miss Smithfield" can do for you now is help keep the temperature up in your room while you recover. I swear, Intel should put those things in smart space heaters, they wouldn't need heating elements, just a good fan to circulate the hot air. Especially if they factory overclock the thing. :p

Because it's not necessarily that I have $150 on hand AND a Corsair HX520. I was going to get an HX520, but I managed to scrape up enough money to afford a 620 instead, but I really wanted a deal on one as I only have about $140 on me. Most places have them for $140 BEFORE tax/shipping.

I might end up getting the HX520 for $110 shipped from securemart.com.