Hyper Threading vs Dual-Core

vaki

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
I need Your opinion - what is better? - A Pentium 4 with Hyper Threading or Dual-Core Pentium???? Now, I have Pentium 4 at 2.66 Ghz, nor with Hyper Threading nor with Dual Core technology, which means single core cpu....

I'm only interested on working with Video editing tools like Ulead Video Studio, Pinnacle Studio; or in Photoshop CS 2..... So, what is better for this job, I need processor for multitasking; I work with 3 or more applications on the same time almost always, and it's very hard to do this, because system hangs for a long time, and the cpu time hits 100%..... I can't do for example Video encoding in background while I want to watch a TV on my computer... It slow down my PC.....

Now, I need help, I want to buy new processor, but which???? It isn't important number of megaherz, but only what is better in MULTITASKING - HYPER - THREADING OR DUAL - CORE???????

Thanks in advance.... And sorry on my bad English :D

Newf

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
Yup, dual core is what you need.
The Intel Core2Duo is preferred, (E6xxx or Xeon 30xx). An AMD 64 X2 is a second place choice.
Avoid an Intel Pentium D.

Insane_Maniac

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2006
Third the dual core. Dual core pentium's can help even out the workload nad make multitasking better overall, versus hyper threading which tries to simulate two cores. Two physical cores would be better than one core and an 'invisible core.'

TeraMedia

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
If you're putting the new chip on an existing motherboard, then what you get will need to depend on what the motherboard supports. Older boards (such as might have a 2.66 GHz Pentium on them) will likely not support the Core 2 Duo, and will definitely not support the Athlons. So if you want to keep your mobo then figure out what mobo you have, and from that go to the mfr's site to figure out which CPUs it supports.

Pentium D 8xx series run very very hot, and consume a lot of power. You might need to upgrade your PSU and cooling config to support one. The 9xx series run a bit cooler - just watch for compatibility issues.

m25

Distinguished
May 23, 2006
I need Your opinion - what is better? - A Pentium 4 with Hyper Threading or Dual-Core Pentium???? Now, I have Pentium 4 at 2.66 Ghz, nor with Hyper Threading nor with Dual Core technology, which means single core cpu....

I'm only interested on working with Video editing tools like Ulead Video Studio, Pinnacle Studio; or in Photoshop CS 2..... So, what is better for this job, I need processor for multitasking; I work with 3 or more applications on the same time almost always, and it's very hard to do this, because system hangs for a long time, and the cpu time hits 100%..... I can't do for example Video encoding in background while I want to watch a TV on my computer... It slow down my PC.....

Now, I need help, I want to buy new processor, but which???? It isn't important number of megaherz, but only what is better in MULTITASKING - HYPER - THREADING OR DUAL - CORE???????

1-The Pentium4 is out of question; Athlon64s are cheaper and perform better.
2-You'd better get a Core2 E6300 and above or a X2 3600+/3800+ and forget about this question if you have more than $110 to spend on the CPU.
However, if you only can afford a PentiumD, compared to a PEntium 4 with the same clock speed, it speeds up multitasking and multithreaded apps up to 80%, while the most that HT can do on a P4 is 30%, however, as I said before, don't even name the P4,... at least until they sell them for $10/CPU.

You have a Northwood P4 with DDR and the shortest and cheapest path to upgrade, preserving your RAM is a S939 dualcore Opteron 165
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103588
and a cheap 939 motherboard; you will get a 2X boost at least compared to your actual system.
Otherwise you could get a Pentium D 805 around $80 and one of those boards that support both DDR and DDR2.

P.S: However, even with the fastest CPU, don' hope to escape the 100% usage; intensive apps use ALL the resources they find, no matter how good they are :wink:

Ninjaz7

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2006
Intel would be your best bet(future proff)alot of mobo's will operate the quad core where amd will not...and with your paricular use :D ,dual core is the only way.gl

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006

2-You'd better get a Core2 E6300 and above or a X2 3600+/3800+ and forget about this question if you have more than $110 to spend on the CPU.
However, if you only can afford a PentiumD, compared to a PEntium 4 with the same clock speed, it speeds up multitasking and multithreaded apps up to 80%, while the most that HT can do on a P4 is 30%, however, as I said before, don't even name the P4,... at least until they sell them for $10/CPU.

You have a Northwood P4 with DDR and the shortest and cheapest path to upgrade, preserving your RAM is a S939 dualcore Opteron 165
and a cheap 939 motherboard; you will get a 2X boost at least compared to your actual system.
Otherwise you could get a Pentium D 805 around $80 and one of those boards that support both DDR and DDR2.

P.S: However, even with the fastest CPU, don' hope to escape the 100% usage; intensive apps use ALL the resources they find, no matter how good they are :wink:It's very likely a Prescott 505/506. That being the case, he might be using DDR. If this is the case, and money is very tight, than a P4/HT would be the cheapest route(drop-in). Even to go to a Pentium D might require a new mobo..then also RAM. Athlon x2 is probably nowhere near the cheapest route(not saying they aren't good... just depends on how much he can spend). And, of course a Core2Duo would be the best route(performance-wise), but will cost more. Depends how important that multi-tasking really is to him.

I find that HT is closer to the 20% mark(improvement) in some apps, nicely increases the feeling of quickness(opening apps, switching between apps, etc.), but it can also slow down almost as many apps as it helps. If (like me) money is rare as hens teeth, then a P4/HT will provide some improvement, but nothing awe-inspiring...to be sure. :wink:

If the machine in question is a "work" machine, than spending a little more money for a C2D would be the smartest choice, bar none.

Joe_The_Dragon

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2006

P.S: However, even with the fastest CPU, don' hope to escape the 100% usage; intensive apps use ALL the resources they find, no matter how good they are :wink:It's very likely a Prescott 505/506. That being the case, he might be using DDR. If this is the case, and money is very tight, than a P4/HT would be the cheapest route(drop-in). Even to go to a Pentium D might require a new mobo..then also RAM. Athlon x2 is probably nowhere near the cheapest route(not saying they aren't good... just depends on how much he can spend). And, of course a Core2Duo would be the best route(performance-wise), but will cost more. Depends how important that multi-tasking really is to him.

I find that HT is closer to the 20% mark(improvement) in some apps, nicely increases the feeling of quickness(opening apps, switching between apps, etc.), but it can also slow down almost as many apps as it helps. If (like me) money is rare as hens teeth, then a P4/HT will provide some improvement, but nothing awe-inspiring...to be sure. :wink:

If the machine in question is a "work" machine, than spending a little more money for a C2D would be the smartest choice, bar none.
But with a new system he will also need to get a new pci-e video card as you don't want be do that kind work with the slow downs of on board video. As those apps need all the ram they can get.

corvetteguy

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
Intel would be your best bet(future proff)alot of mobo's will operate the quad core where amd will not...and with your paricular use :D ,dual core is the only way.gl

I hope you are talking about s939 AMD, otherwise you are wrong. AM2 probably has a longer upgrade path than current intel mobo's.

No flaming just correcting :wink:

vaki

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
Hey, buddies, thanks for your advices...... Now, I know what will I do.... I will buy Pentium D, because my motherboard supports it!

But, I have another question - as a know Pentium D is 64 bit, I will need to install 64-bit Windows, or it will work well on 32-bit Windows???

And once more, Thanks everyone for Your effort, I appreciate that!!! :D :D :D

Newf

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
No, you don't need 64 bit Windows.
You will need to get a new heatsink/fan cooler for the new cpu though.
If you buy a retail box processor it will come in the box. If you buy an OEM processor you will also need to buy a new cooler to go with it.

vaki

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
No, you don't need 64 bit Windows.
You will need to get a new heatsink/fan cooler for the new cpu though.
If you buy a retail box processor it will come in the box. If you buy an OEM processor you will also need to buy a new cooler to go with it.

Thank You very much!!!!!! :wink:

TeraMedia

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
If you're getting a 9xx series Pentium D, then your power supply shouldn't need to provide much more than it already is. If you're getting an 8xx series (e.g. 830), though, check the specs on your power supply if possible. The 12V current requirements for that series, like their heat generation, are very high.

Good luck!

InteliotInside

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2007
For video editing I really recommend saving up for a nice Xeon workstation rig.

2 Intel Xeon 5300s
4GB of FB-DIMM RAM
Dual Socket 5000X workstation board
4 HDDs setup in RAID0+1
Video Card of your choice

Ninjaz7

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2006
I thought it was socket f for a future upgrade thru AMD(for newest quad's and then am3's),correct me if I'm wrong alot of mobo's of intels(for instance gigabytes 965p-s3)will accept a quadcore...Hook a guy up with some knowledge :idea: ,lay out the future scoupe if you've got the time.P.s.You gotta be semi flame resistant or you'll never accept constructive critique,thx. :)

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
Athlon64s are cheaper and perform better.

In games, almost certainly. But Intel have normally been in the lead for video editing.Why are you quoting me as saying that? m25 said that. Pay attention to which post you respond to. :x

MarkG

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2004
Why are you quoting me as saying that? m25 said that. Pay attention to which post you respond to.

I'm not quoting you as saying that, I just clicked on 'reply' and pasted in the comment. I can't help it if the board software then claims I'm replying to your post because there are too many reply buttons.

Some people really take these things far, far too seriously.

dragonsprayer

Splendid
Jan 3, 2007
hyper threading is not dual core - its only a multitasker helper, that works to help speed slightly - sometimes it slows programs - dual core is much better.

if you have a mobo that only uses p4, it almost all cases you can pull the mobo and hook up a c2d and c2d capable mobo and load your driver cd and the system will fire right up with out problems.

wrong "1-The Pentium4 is out of question; Athlon64s are cheaper and perform better. "
--> based on single tasks with back ground programs off

meljor

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2006
who is taking this to serious? HUH? ARE YOU TALKING TO ME????

COME OVER HERE AND FIGHT LIKE A MAN!!!!

sorry.....to much caffeine :oops:

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
Why are you quoting me as saying that? m25 said that. Pay attention to which post you respond to.

I'm not quoting you as saying that, I just clicked on 'reply' and pasted in the comment. I can't help it if the board software then claims I'm replying to your post because there are too many reply buttons.

Some people really take these things far, far too seriously.Would you like me to correct you for saying something you didn't say? I guess that means i take it too seriously. :roll: There are rules of etiquette, and simple "common-sense" practices in here. Learn them and use them. Not the forums mistake, yours for pasting in the comment. If it had been my comment, when you replied to it...it would already be there... no pasting necessary.

TRENDING THREADS