Cannot log on

Archived from groups: alt.os.windows2000,microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

I have been running W2k on a desktop computer for about a year with no
problem. Yesterday I installed a Realtec NIC. I loaded the drivers and
attempted without success to network with my laptop. In the process I
rebooted the desktop several times with no problem. Today, however, the
boot process with a Logon Message "The system could not log you on. Make
sure your User name and domain are correct, then type in your password
again. ......" I have never passworded this system. The system displays a
logon screen with the name "Administrator" filled in and the cursor in the
password field. Would someone please tell me how can I log onto this
system?

Thanks,

Karl
2 answers Last reply
More about cannot

    KH wrote:
    > *I have never passworded this system. The system displays a
    > logon screen with the name "Administrator" filled in and the cursor
    > in the
    > password field. Would someone please tell me how can I log onto
    > this
    > system?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Karl *

    Karl,
    Did you install 2000 or did the system come with it pre-installed?

    --
    Crash Override

    "Crash Override" <Crash.Override.14zd5w@mail.mcse.ms> wrote in message

    > KH wrote:
    > > *I have never passworded this system. The system displays a
    > > logon screen with the name "Administrator" filled in and the cursor
    > > in the
    > > password field. Would someone please tell me how can I log onto
    > > this
    > > system?
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > >
    > > Karl *
    >
    > Karl,
    > Did you install 2000 or did the system come with it pre-installed?
    >

    > --
    > Crash Override
    I installed the system. It was a year ago and I must have been required
    password the system at that time and had forgotten about it. In
    frustration I started trying passwords I would have used if I had passwored
    the OS. And I found one that works for both the Administrator and myself.
    What can I do now to stop the Logon Error message and have the Logon Box
    come up with my name? As it is now, I must click on the OK button to remove
    the message, Shift-Tab to the Name field and type in my name, and then Tab
    to the Password field to enter the password. There must be an easier way
    and I don't want the Administrator's desk top.

    Karl

Windows