Cannot log on

Tags:
Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
April 18, 2004 9:16:31 PM

Archived from groups: alt.os.windows2000,microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

I have been running W2k on a desktop computer for about a year with no
problem. Yesterday I installed a Realtec NIC. I loaded the drivers and
attempted without success to network with my laptop. In the process I
rebooted the desktop several times with no problem. Today, however, the
boot process with a Logon Message "The system could not log you on. Make
sure your User name and domain are correct, then type in your password
again. ......" I have never passworded this system. The system displays a
logon screen with the name "Administrator" filled in and the cursor in the
password field. Would someone please tell me how can I log onto this
system?

Thanks,

Karl

More about : log

Anonymous
April 19, 2004 5:17:08 PM

KH wrote:
> *I have never passworded this system. The system displays a
> logon screen with the name "Administrator" filled in and the cursor
> in the
> password field. Would someone please tell me how can I log onto
> this
> system?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Karl *

Karl,
Did you install 2000 or did the system come with it pre-installed?

--
Crash Override
April 22, 2004 12:45:54 AM

"Crash Override" <Crash.Override.14zd5w@mail.mcse.ms> wrote in message

> KH wrote:
> > *I have never passworded this system. The system displays a
> > logon screen with the name "Administrator" filled in and the cursor
> > in the
> > password field. Would someone please tell me how can I log onto
> > this
> > system?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Karl *
>
> Karl,
> Did you install 2000 or did the system come with it pre-installed?
>

> --
> Crash Override
I installed the system. It was a year ago and I must have been required
password the system at that time and had forgotten about it. In
frustration I started trying passwords I would have used if I had passwored
the OS. And I found one that works for both the Administrator and myself.
What can I do now to stop the Logon Error message and have the Logon Box
come up with my name? As it is now, I must click on the OK button to remove
the message, Shift-Tab to the Name field and type in my name, and then Tab
to the Password field to enter the password. There must be an easier way
and I don't want the Administrator's desk top.

Karl
!