Sign in with
Your question

CPU strange sound

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
February 24, 2007 9:15:56 AM

I've built my own pc whit a Core 2 E6600, MSI 975X Platinum board and 1G Super Talent DDR2-800 ram. The system works fine but sometimes when CPU works it makes a strange sound… some cracking alike. I’m not talking about normal sound of the processor; it’s something different and occasional, like little sparks.

Should I worry about it? It could be that a wrong signal that I put something wrong? Could I have problems in the near future?

More about : cpu strange sound

February 24, 2007 9:42:34 AM

Are you sure it is the cpu that does that??? Usually some gfx cards make those noises when eg. scrolling down in Internet Explorer.
Cpu is not supposed to make any noise. So check closely to see what is causing this noise.
February 24, 2007 1:48:59 PM

..right, or is he talking about the normal dard disk rattle?! However, my previous DDR modules also did some noise; kind of a soft whisper, like a laser gun of the movies but very low.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
February 24, 2007 2:34:08 PM

Sound comes out when processor is working and the led is flashing, I’ve checked and it’s not a mechanical sound at any device, and it’s not a wire or something touching any fan or something else. Once I had a short circuit in another pc and the damaged cpu made a cracking sound, but stronger, before it shut down randomly. This sound it’s not so strong, but it’s little similar. System works fine and I hadn’t got any electrical fail, but this worry me because cpu and the rest are brand new.
February 24, 2007 2:40:06 PM

Usually, there is only the a hard disk flashing led in a case (the other is the power led and it stays on as long as the PC is on, so it micht be the HDD.
February 24, 2007 2:46:37 PM

Quote:
I've built my own pc whit a Core 2 E6600, MSI 975X Platinum board and 1G Super Talent DDR2-800 ram. The system works fine but sometimes when CPU works it makes a strange sound… some cracking alike. I’m not talking about normal sound of the processor; it’s something different and occasional, like little sparks.

Should I worry about it? It could be that a wrong signal that I put something wrong? Could I have problems in the near future?

I have the same strange noises coming from my laptop for years now. Are you sure it is not coming from your speakers? I have always attributed to some sort of crosstalk (EMI) that the speakers pickup. It usually happens when I am scrolling in a window.
February 24, 2007 4:00:03 PM

Nope, any speakers are connected and I’ve open the case… so, undoubtedly, sound comes out when CPU is working in a task. Could be a defective CPU or even the mainboard? Now I’ve re-installed processor, fan and check wires, but sound appears again. I’m really puzzled about this!!! All seems to be alright, but I want to avoid a failure in the near time.
February 24, 2007 4:53:46 PM

Is the sound like a bug lite in a Louisiana swamp???? 8O If it sounds like that it is the electrons leaking out onto the case!!!! Those buggers will go pretty much anywhere too unless you reseal your processor.

Your need to repost this thread with the title " How do I reseal my Processor? ". This way some of the experts on the forum will reply to help you.

Good Luck. :) 
February 24, 2007 6:38:44 PM

Quote:
Is the sound like a bug lite in a Louisiana swamp???? 8O If it sounds like that it is the electrons leaking out onto the case!!!! Those buggers will go pretty much anywhere too unless you reseal your processor.

Your need to repost this thread with the title " How do I reseal my Processor? ". This way some of the experts on the forum will reply to help you.

Good Luck. :) 

Thanks, I'll do.
February 25, 2007 1:33:51 PM

My cpu makes weird little noises also.

After turning off everthing else possible and trying to get the room as quiet as possible, I tried to listen really close.

It sounded like This "upgrade me" :( 

!