Is Cache needed for a Raid-0?

jelsea

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2007
Does Cache memory for a Raid Card provide any performance benefit for a Raid-0 at all. I don't plan on using my raid card for a Mirror setup I will only be using Raid-0, so for the card I buy is there any need to get one that has the cache memory option?

Madwand

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2006
Yes, the cache can be beneficial. E.g. You have 64K stripes, and an application requests linear data from the array 64K at a time. A dumb controller would get 64K at a time from the drives, i.e. get about single drive performance. A smart controller with a cache could read-ahead significantly on the data, say reading 64K * 4 for a 4-drive RAID 0, i.e. 256K at a time, and hold that for the application, still feeding it 64K at a time, but quicker because the next 64K is already in cache when the request arrives.

(Reality is a bit more complicated than the above, because drives implement their own read-ahead to some degree.)

Note however that you could have a different stripe size -- e.g. 64K / (number of data drives) = 16K for a 4-drive RAID 0. In this case, even a dumb controller would read data from all drives concurrently, giving close to optimal performance. There's a bit more that a caching controller can do -- for other cases -- and a likelihood that with the additional cost and capacity its implementation would be more sophisticated.

So yes, there can be a significant benefit in some cases. As to whether or not that's worth a significant cost in your applications and usage is another matter.

Note also that using a PCI controller can introduce its own bottleneck -- you'll never get 4-drive performance from a controller that's on the standard PCI bus.

jelsea

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2007
Thx Much, I will defintly be looking for a controler that has the cache mem on it. Thx for the info about the PCI I beleave I will now be looking for one that is on the PCI-e bus at least 8x since my MB seems to have that extra slot.

TRENDING THREADS