install problems

I partitioned & formatted the hard drive on my Sony vaio. Then following
instruction on a web site I switch over to the CD-ROM volume (typically
drive E: on a single hard drive system as the D: drive will be temporarily
taken up by the Windows 98 boot floppy RAM disk). CD into the /i386 folder
and run winnt.exe from the command line.
BUT, when I did this the computer died, and refuses to restart. I mean
nothing, dead, dead dead. Any ideas on what happened?

Terry

To do a clean install, either boot the Windows 2000 install CD-Rom or setup
disks. The set of four install disks can be created from your Windows 2000
CD-Rom; change to the \bootdisk directory on the CD-Rom and execute
makeboot.exe (from dos) or makebt32.exe (from 32 bit) and follow the
prompts.

Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]