problems with "open with" feature

Suddenly I can no longer make a part of the "open with" feature work
anymore.

I can not longer add a program to the "open with" list or get the desired
program to work when I browse to the program to work anymore.

When I access the program thru the start menu or a shortcut the programs
work just fine - it just when you right click and select the open with
dialog

Any idea's

Oldguy

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2004

Go to
There are two possibilities that might apply.

I think the first is the one you want but you might check to see if the
other is working properly also.

Go to Line 220 left side for : Restore Open With on the Right Click
Also Check Line 241 right side for: Restore Choose Program - Open With

"MS Jordan" <msjordan@disney.net> wrote in message
> Suddenly I can no longer make a part of the "open with" feature work
> anymore.
>
> I can not longer add a program to the "open with" list or get the desired
> program to work when I browse to the program to work anymore.
>
> When I access the program thru the start menu or a shortcut the programs
> work just fine - it just when you right click and select the open with
> dialog
>
> Any idea's

Since I only have a rudimentry knowledge of Registry thought I better ask a
couple of questions

Ref - Go to Line 220 left side for : Restore Open With on the Right Click
I compared the contents of my registery against what is in 220 and they
appear to be the same. I am making the assumption that if they are the same
there is no problem with that entry !

Ref- Line 241 right side for: Restore Choose Program - Open With

My - [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Unknown\shell\openas\command]
Looks like this

%SystemRoot%\system32\rundll32.exe %SystemRoot%\system32
\shell32.dll,OpenAs_RunDLL %1

- 241 has a batch of hex code

- since I am 30 years removed from understanding hex, should I past
the hex code into the entry or is the above correct ?

BTW - thanks for the help

Oldguy

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2004

Don't do any manual changing of the registry.
The files you have on your desktop ( Or where ever you saved them to ) will
do all the work.

Neither one will hurt your system.
Just do a right click and select merge.
Depending on which version of XP you are running you may get a security
warning.
If so , Click on Run.
If that warning doesn't appear there will be a question
about adding this information to the registry.
Click on Yes.

Some of these additions require a logoff or reboot before they take effect.
First check and see if your problem is solved, if not logoff and back on and
try again.
If still not corrected do a reboot.

"MS Jordan" <msjordan@disney.com> wrote in message
> Since I only have a rudimentry knowledge of Registry thought I better ask
> couple of questions
>
> Ref - Go to Line 220 left side for : Restore Open With on the Right Click
> I compared the contents of my registery against what is in 220 and they
> appear to be the same. I am making the assumption that if they are the
> same
> there is no problem with that entry !
>

> Ref- Line 241 right side for: Restore Choose Program - Open With
>
> My - [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Unknown\shell\openas\command]
> Looks like this
>
> %SystemRoot%\system32\rundll32.exe %SystemRoot%\system32
> \shell32.dll,OpenAs_RunDLL %1
>
> - 241 has a batch of hex code
>
> - since I am 30 years removed from understanding hex, should I past
> the hex code into the entry or is the above correct ?
>
> BTW - thanks for the help

"Oldguy"

Thanks for the help, don't know which one but one of them solved the
problem

Thanks for taking the time

MS Jordan

Oldguy