Replacing motherboard problems with win2K

For my office, I upgraded the motherboards for four computers using the info
from the MSDN article "HOW TO: Replace the Motherboard on a Computer That Is
Running Windows 2000 or Windows Server 2003". In all cases I was upgrading
from an Abit PII motherboard to an Intel PERL P4 system. I had no problems.
So when I decided to spend the money for my own machine with the same
set-up, I thought I would have no problems. The only difference between the
others I did and my home system is my home system has a Matrox G550 AGP card
setup with dual monitors (I disabled the second one for the MB swap) and my
home machine has LOTS more software. I tried to disable as much of the
auto-loaded on boot up stuff as I could (Norton Anti-Virus and the like).

What happened first:
I cloned my primary partition to another (smaller) drive I had laying around
just as a backup. I started the first part of the board swap (start Win2K
install, and stop it when it gets to the first re-boot.) I then swapped the
MB and continued. The install progress bar gets about ½ way through and
suddenly just re-boots, and if I let it, the process starts over and reboots
at the same point. I spent all weekend doing this over and over with every
variation I can figure out like disabling as much of the on-board
peripherals as possible, first un-installing the network card from the
original set-up etc.

Question one: is there any way to generate a log file of what is being
done, to figure out what is failing? Or if one is already being generated,
where is it?

At one point, I couldn't get the machine to boot at all, so I re-installed
from the backup and luckily everything worked fine. However, that threw the
fear of whatever into me, and I bought a new (larger) drive, cloned it
completely from my original, and went through the whole process again, using
my cloned drive.

Now, the install program won't start because it tells me that a program "has
not finished installing", and I need to re-boot and let it finish. No
matter how many times I re-boot, it still says the same thing. I can't find
out what it thinks hasn't finished! I checked the registry
HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Runonce but that
has nothing in it, and I can't think of anything else to look for to get
past this screen.

Question two: Is there something about putting a new drive in that could
cause the "something has not finished installing", and if so, how do I make
it complete the process?

Since I couldn't get the first part of the MB swap sequence to work, I tried
the "if the motherboard has failed" protocol from the same KB article. It
gets to the progress bar about ½ way done and suddenly re-boots, just like
above.

Corey Cooper
5 answers Last reply
More about replacing motherboard problems win2k

    "Corey Cooper" <CoreyC@InnovativeDesign.com> wrote in message
    > For my office, I upgraded the motherboards for four computers using the
    info
    > from the MSDN article "HOW TO: Replace the Motherboard on a Computer That
    Is
    > Running Windows 2000 or Windows Server 2003". In all cases I was
    upgrading
    > from an Abit PII motherboard to an Intel PERL P4 system. I had no
    problems.
    > So when I decided to spend the money for my own machine with the same
    > set-up, I thought I would have no problems. The only difference between
    the
    > others I did and my home system is my home system has a Matrox G550 AGP
    card
    > setup with dual monitors (I disabled the second one for the MB swap) and
    my
    > home machine has LOTS more software. I tried to disable as much of the
    > auto-loaded on boot up stuff as I could (Norton Anti-Virus and the like).
    >
    > What happened first:
    > I cloned my primary partition to another (smaller) drive I had laying
    around
    > just as a backup. I started the first part of the board swap (start Win2K
    > install, and stop it when it gets to the first re-boot.) I then swapped
    the
    > MB and continued. The install progress bar gets about ½ way through and
    > suddenly just re-boots, and if I let it, the process starts over and
    reboots
    > at the same point. I spent all weekend doing this over and over with
    every
    > variation I can figure out like disabling as much of the on-board
    > peripherals as possible, first un-installing the network card from the
    > original set-up etc.

    <snip>

    you may want to try a repair installation...
    it should work...but you'll need to install your updates afterwards

    One problem is you don't know if the new mobo, processor, and memory work!
    I would get an old drive and do a fresh install of an OS like win2000 or
    win98 to verify that the new stuff works. I have received some bad ram
    lately from Kingston. Get lots of errors. You can also run memtest86 to
    check out the ram. That would be my first step, then after you verify that
    the new hardware is good, then do the upgrade install.

    Tom

    "philo" <philo@privacy.net> wrote in message

    > "Corey Cooper" <CoreyC@InnovativeDesign.com> wrote in message
    > > For my office, I upgraded the motherboards for four computers using the
    > info
    > > from the MSDN article "HOW TO: Replace the Motherboard on a Computer
    That
    > Is
    > > Running Windows 2000 or Windows Server 2003". In all cases I was
    > upgrading
    > > from an Abit PII motherboard to an Intel PERL P4 system. I had no
    > problems.
    > > So when I decided to spend the money for my own machine with the same
    > > set-up, I thought I would have no problems. The only difference between
    > the
    > > others I did and my home system is my home system has a Matrox G550 AGP
    > card
    > > setup with dual monitors (I disabled the second one for the MB swap) and
    > my
    > > home machine has LOTS more software. I tried to disable as much of the
    > > auto-loaded on boot up stuff as I could (Norton Anti-Virus and the
    like).

    > > What happened first:
    > > I cloned my primary partition to another (smaller) drive I had laying
    > around
    > > just as a backup. I started the first part of the board swap (start
    Win2K
    > > install, and stop it when it gets to the first re-boot.) I then swapped
    > the
    > > MB and continued. The install progress bar gets about ½ way through and
    > > suddenly just re-boots, and if I let it, the process starts over and
    > reboots
    > > at the same point. I spent all weekend doing this over and over with
    > every
    > > variation I can figure out like disabling as much of the on-board
    > > peripherals as possible, first un-installing the network card from the
    > > original set-up etc.
    >

    > <snip>
    >
    > you may want to try a repair installation...
    > it should work...but you'll need to install your updates afterwards

    I ran memtest86+ overnight on it, with no problems.

    I installed Win2K on it 'clean' with no problems, but if I keep it this way,
    I'll have to re-install all my software (shudder).

    I have uninstalled all extra devices I could, like the Soundblaster and
    network card, then tried the 'upgrade', and it still fails at the same
    place. I've run Norton to make sure the regestry wasn't corrupt. I've
    tried doing the upgrade but I can't because it insists there is something
    that has not finished installing, but won't tell me what, and no amount of
    rebooting makes it go away. I've tried the repair option on the install
    program, and that gets through the first re-boot, comes up and gets half way
    through the install, and suddenly gives me a blue-screen which immediatly
    reboots so fast that sometines I don't even see the bluescreen, much less
    have time to read it.

    Anybody? Anything? Is there no log kept by this porgram to allow me to see
    what it is doing when it suddenly fails? MS, you out there?

    Corey

    "Tom" <geoman39@nospamcharter.net> wrote in message
    > One problem is you don't know if the new mobo, processor, and memory work!
    > I would get an old drive and do a fresh install of an OS like win2000 or
    > win98 to verify that the new stuff works. I have received some bad ram
    > lately from Kingston. Get lots of errors. You can also run memtest86 to
    > check out the ram. That would be my first step, then after you verify
    that
    > the new hardware is good, then do the upgrade install.
    >
    > Tom
    >
    > "philo" <philo@privacy.net> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Corey Cooper" <CoreyC@InnovativeDesign.com> wrote in message
    > > > For my office, I upgraded the motherboards for four computers using
    the
    > > info
    > > > from the MSDN article "HOW TO: Replace the Motherboard on a Computer
    > That
    > > Is
    > > > Running Windows 2000 or Windows Server 2003". In all cases I was
    > > upgrading
    > > > from an Abit PII motherboard to an Intel PERL P4 system. I had no
    > > problems.
    > > > So when I decided to spend the money for my own machine with the same
    > > > set-up, I thought I would have no problems. The only difference
    between
    > > the
    > > > others I did and my home system is my home system has a Matrox G550
    AGP
    > > card
    > > > setup with dual monitors (I disabled the second one for the MB swap)
    and
    > > my
    > > > home machine has LOTS more software. I tried to disable as much of
    the
    > > > auto-loaded on boot up stuff as I could (Norton Anti-Virus and the
    > like).
    > > >
    > > > What happened first:
    > > > I cloned my primary partition to another (smaller) drive I had laying
    > > around
    > > > just as a backup. I started the first part of the board swap (start
    > Win2K
    > > > install, and stop it when it gets to the first re-boot.) I then
    swapped
    > > the
    > > > MB and continued. The install progress bar gets about ½ way through
    and
    > > > suddenly just re-boots, and if I let it, the process starts over and
    > > reboots
    > > > at the same point. I spent all weekend doing this over and over with
    > > every
    > > > variation I can figure out like disabling as much of the on-board
    > > > peripherals as possible, first un-installing the network card from the
    > > > original set-up etc.
    > >

    > > <snip>
    > >
    > > you may want to try a repair installation...
    > > it should work...but you'll need to install your updates afterwards

    Did you ever get this resolved? I have a similar problem while trying
    to upgrade my motherboard using an existing Win2K installation. Clean
    install works just fine, but I don't want to have to reinstall and
    update all the applications, same as you!

    -Landy

    In article <uVUF6UJKEHA.3596@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>,
    "Corey Cooper" <CoreyC@InnovativeDesign.com> wrote:

    > I ran memtest86+ overnight on it, with no problems.
    >
    > I installed Win2K on it 'clean' with no problems, but if I keep it this way,
    > I'll have to re-install all my software (shudder).
    >
    > I have uninstalled all extra devices I could, like the Soundblaster and
    > network card, then tried the 'upgrade', and it still fails at the same
    > place. I've run Norton to make sure the regestry wasn't corrupt. I've
    > tried doing the upgrade but I can't because it insists there is something
    > that has not finished installing, but won't tell me what, and no amount of
    > rebooting makes it go away. I've tried the repair option on the install
    > program, and that gets through the first re-boot, comes up and gets half way
    > through the install, and suddenly gives me a blue-screen which immediatly
    > reboots so fast that sometines I don't even see the bluescreen, much less
    > have time to read it.
    >
    > Anybody? Anything? Is there no log kept by this porgram to allow me to see
    > what it is doing when it suddenly fails? MS, you out there?
    >
    > Corey
    >

    > "Tom" <geoman39@nospamcharter.net> wrote in message
    > > One problem is you don't know if the new mobo, processor, and memory work!
    > > I would get an old drive and do a fresh install of an OS like win2000 or
    > > win98 to verify that the new stuff works. I have received some bad ram
    > > lately from Kingston. Get lots of errors. You can also run memtest86 to
    > > check out the ram. That would be my first step, then after you verify
    > that
    > > the new hardware is good, then do the upgrade install.
    > >
    > > Tom
    > >
    > > "philo" <philo@privacy.net> wrote in message
    > > >
    > > > "Corey Cooper" <CoreyC@InnovativeDesign.com> wrote in message
    > the
    > > > info
    > > That
    > > > Is
    > > > upgrading
    > > > problems.
    > between
    > > > the
    > AGP
    > > > card
    > and
    > > > my
    > the
    > > like).

    > > > around
    > > Win2K
    > swapped
    > > > the
    > and
    > > > reboots
    > > > every
    > > >

    > > > <snip>
    > > >
    > > > you may want to try a repair installation...
    > > > it should work...but you'll need to install your updates afterwards

    Not yet, but I will today! I will report back.

    -Landy

    In article <uuv4S$WLEHA.1144@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl>,
    "Pen" <pennospam34us@hotmail.com> wrote:

    > "Atkinson" <atkinson@rochester.rr.com> wrote in message
    > > Did you ever get this resolved? I have a similar problem while trying
    > > to upgrade my motherboard using an existing Win2K installation. Clean
    > > install works just fine, but I don't want to have to reinstall and
    > > update all the applications, same as you!
    > >
    > > -Landy

Windows Server 2003 Motherboards Windows