XP back to Win2000 Pro

Victor

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I'm trying to to help a friend uninstall XP on her
computer and put Windows 2000 Pro back on it. When I try
to run the setup from the Windows 2000 Pro disk I get a
pop up that since she has a newer version of Windows on
the computer setup for Windows 2000 Pro is disabled. Is
there a way to get around this? Her computer is to slow
for XP.

Thanks

There is no uninstall or downgrade option. To do a clean install, either
boot the Windows 2000 install CD-Rom or setup disks. The set of four install
disks can be created from your Windows 2000 CD-Rom; change to the \bootdisk
directory on the CD-Rom and execute makeboot.exe (from dos) or makebt32.exe
(from 32 bit) and follow the prompts.

Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Victor" wrote:
| I'm trying to to help a friend uninstall XP on her
| computer and put Windows 2000 Pro back on it. When I try
| to run the setup from the Windows 2000 Pro disk I get a
| pop up that since she has a newer version of Windows on
| the computer setup for Windows 2000 Pro is disabled. Is
| there a way to get around this? Her computer is to slow
| for XP.
|
| Thanks

Victor
Make yourself a boot disk, a windowsMe one will be fine, look for BootMe.exe
and it will create one for you. You'll need this for the next reboot.
Copy this lot into notepad.

sys c:
attrib -h -r -s boot.ini
del boot.ini
attrib -h -r -s bootsect.dos
del bootsect.dos
attrib -h -r -s ntldr
del ntldr
attrib -h -r -s ntdetect.com
del ntdetect.com
attrib -h -r -s bootdd.sys
del bootdd.sys

save the file as XPgo.bat (yep it's a batch file)
reboot with your bootdisk in the floppy drive, you won't need the CD drive
unless it's a boot CDyou have!?
at the A:\ promt
type c:\Xpgo
stick the windows2000 disk in the CD drive
you can now reboot and install.
Hope that helps you out.

C.A

"Victor" <sigmachi1012@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I'm trying to to help a friend uninstall XP on her
> computer and put Windows 2000 Pro back on it. When I try
> to run the setup from the Windows 2000 Pro disk I get a
> pop up that since she has a newer version of Windows on
> the computer setup for Windows 2000 Pro is disabled. Is
> there a way to get around this? Her computer is to slow
> for XP.
>
> Thanks

You can't do a 'downgrade' install by putting the CD in while running
windows. You can only do a clean install by booting from the windows CD or
boot floppies. This is a destructive process, you will have to reinstall
all your software after this.

Also, consider if it is worthwhile. I have found that the performance
difference between XP and 2000 is not very large, you will not get a major
speed improvement by switching from XP to 2000 in my experience. You may be
far better finding out what is the hardware bottleneck and doing a small
upgrade - it may be as simple as some additional RAM. For example, if you
have only 64M of memory, it's going to be very slow no matter how 'fast' the
system is. $60 worth of memory could make the world of difference!