pci express x1 and x4 any use?

metalliandy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2006
I am getting a full system but with a choice of mobo.
Its gotta be either a ASUS M2N32-SLI Deluxe or a ASUS M2N4-SLI
Im leaning towards the ASUS M2N32-SLI Deluxe but there are pci express x1 and x4 slots...are they any use? What sort of cards can i buy for them?, as i have never seen any.
Maybe im not looking in the right place.
Any examples would be great.
I would have preferred more pci slots to be honest, but you can halt progress...lol

Synthetickiller

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2006
You can get:

raid cards
nic cards
usb cards
tv tuner cards
video cards (crappy compared to the PCIe ones like 8800s and x1900s).

Realistically, I've had trouble seeing the use of these slots. I have a lot of old PCI cards that I'd rather use, but since MOBOs do not have 4 to 6 pci slots like they used to, I'm limited.

If all cards were to go to PCI express x1 or x4, that would be great so that we could finally use these cards. I think audio cards need to get on the bandwagon and make the jump.

Well, thats my rant.

I can't think of any other types off hand. Maybe someone else knows?

Go to www.newegg.com and search for PCI express x1. You'll find what you're looking for.

Darth_Indy

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2007
PCI is dead, long live PCIe!

PCI Express is a newer, faster bus architecture that is replacing the old PCI bus. Right now we're in transition from PCI to PCIe so there isn't a full complement of add-in cards for PCIe... but they are coming.

Several motherboard vendors support both bus types, so you'll still be able to use your PCI cards for a while. However, if you buy new cards try to buy PCIe if you can.

metalliandy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2006
Thanks for the replys guys!
I guess its a waiting game really then.
I could get a tv card but raid is on the mobo and i use Ethernet for internet because my old wireless connection wasn't stable enough for gaming.
Time will tell.
I heard that ageia physx cards were going to translate on to pci-e x1 but i cant seem to find any.
I live in the UK btw

TRENDING THREADS