Closed

Cannot access websites using Internet Explorer

May 24, 2005 2:37:55 AM

I am using a Jornada 545 and trying to access various webpages using
Internet Explorer The connection is sound as far as I'm aware I am
synched properly and the IE Icon rotates as normal, but all I get in
response is the notice

"The page you are looking for cannot be found"

I am using a broadband connection.

I am assuming that IE operates on the Pocket PC in a similar manner to
that of a Home PC

Can anyone help?

Thanks
Anonymous
May 24, 2005 3:41:06 PM

"DGC" <pax@dgcree.wanadoo.co.uk> wrote in message
news:D 6tifm$pc6$1@newsg3.svr.pol.co.uk...
>I am using a Jornada 545 and trying to access various webpages using
>Internet Explorer The connection is sound as far as I'm aware I am synched
>properly and the IE Icon rotates as normal, but all I get in response is
>the notice
>

> "The page you are looking for cannot be found"
>

> I am using a broadband connection.

You can try this before you install anything: on your Pocket PC open file
explorer, browse to \Windows, tap welcome.exe and follow the instructions.
Soft reset the device and try again. It will recreate a couple of
configuration files.

If it does not work, then we'll move to find if the connection is really ok.
For that you can download and install the (free) VxUtil. Use it to ping a
server by name (www.wired.com) and then by IP. See if this works. This will
tell us if the connection is ok and if names are being resolved.

http://www.geekzone.co.nz
Software for Pocket PC and Smartphone: http://www.geekzone.co.nz/store
Software for Pocket PC directly on your device:
http://www.geekzone.co.nz/inhand.asp
Anonymous
May 24, 2005 3:41:07 PM

Mauricio Freitas [MVP] wrote:
> "DGC" <pax@dgcree.wanadoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> news:D 6tifm$pc6$1@newsg3.svr.pol.co.uk...
>
>>I am using a Jornada 545 and trying to access various webpages using
>>Internet Explorer The connection is sound as far as I'm aware I am synched
>>properly and the IE Icon rotates as normal, but all I get in response is
>>the notice
>>

>>"The page you are looking for cannot be found"
>>

>>I am using a broadband connection.
>

> You can try this before you install anything: on your Pocket PC open file
> explorer, browse to \Windows, tap welcome.exe and follow the instructions.
> Soft reset the device and try again. It will recreate a couple of
> configuration files.
>
> If it does not work, then we'll move to find if the connection is really ok.
> For that you can download and install the (free) VxUtil. Use it to ping a
> server by name (www.wired.com) and then by IP. See if this works. This will
> tell us if the connection is ok and if names are being resolved.

"You can try this before you install anything: on your Pocket PC open file
explorer, browse to \Windows, tap welcome.exe and follow the instructions.
Soft reset the device and try again."

I've done that, - no joy!!! - still getting the "not found" message

I've downloaded VxUtil.exe and installed it on my Storage Card.

I'm not sure how to use it though !!!
May 24, 2005 6:33:58 PM

In article <d6tifm$pc6$1@newsg3.svr.pol.co.uk>,
DGC <pax@dgcree.wanadoo.co.uk> wrote:
>I am using a Jornada 545 and trying to access various webpages using
>Internet Explorer The connection is sound as far as I'm aware I am
>synched properly and the IE Icon rotates as normal, but all I get in
>response is the notice
>
>"The page you are looking for cannot be found"
>
>I am using a broadband connection.
>
>I am assuming that IE operates on the Pocket PC in a similar manner to
>that of a Home PC

After some digging around trying to solve a similar problem on my own
Jornada 548 device, I came across two bits of information:

1) Many ISP's actively reject DNS requests which are malformed or which
come from unrecognized clients. For example, some of the DNS servers in
Florida used by Comcast will outright reject DNS queries made from Windows
CE and older Linux clients.
2) Nobody likes to help people who are still using SH3 and MIPS devices.

I was also not able to resolve IP names from my Jornada, although every
other last node on my home network could do so without issue (including a
Sega Dreamcast and a Mattel Juice Box.) However, when I set a static IP
address and added some public DNS servers to the network settings, I was
able to resolve names like a champ. I used the GraniteCanyon public DNS
servers, which are:

205.166.226.38
69.67.108.10

I'm pretty sure that the IP stack on the old PPC2000 devices is primitive
enough that you can't override DHCP settings and have alternate DNS
servers set up if your IP address is automatically assigned. However, if
you're only using your Jornada on your home network, it shouldn't be an
issue to give it a static IP. Hope this helps you out.

-KKC, who can't wait for IPV6 to hit the market and screw up our networks
even further than before...
--
--S.S.B. is the code name for America's daring, highly | kendrick @io .com
trained special mission force. Its purpose: to |

Simply start the program from Start | Program | Communications.

Tap the PING tool and enter a hostname. Tap PING and see if you receive a
valid response or TIMEOUT. If if fails using a name, use an IP Address to a
known host (always used www.wired.com).

Also, there is an option to show the connection information, like current IP
Address ,DNS server, Gateway, etc. This will tell us if your connection is
really ok. But only if you know your network enough to validate this
information.

news:D 6tth6$1n0$1@newsg4.svr.pol.co.uk...
> Mauricio Freitas [MVP] wrote:
>> "DGC" <pax@dgcree.wanadoo.co.uk> wrote in message
>> news:D 6tifm$pc6$1@newsg3.svr.pol.co.uk...
>>
>>>I am using a Jornada 545 and trying to access various webpages using
>>>Internet Explorer The connection is sound as far as I'm aware I am
>>>synched properly and the IE Icon rotates as normal, but all I get in
>>>response is the notice
>>>

>>>"The page you are looking for cannot be found"
>>>

>>>I am using a broadband connection.
>>

>> You can try this before you install anything: on your Pocket PC open file
>> explorer, browse to \Windows, tap welcome.exe and follow the
>> instructions. Soft reset the device and try again. It will recreate a
>> couple of configuration files.
>>
>> If it does not work, then we'll move to find if the connection is really
>> ok. For that you can download and install the (free) VxUtil. Use it to
>> ping a server by name (www.wired.com) and then by IP. See if this works.
>> This will tell us if the connection is ok and if names are being
>> resolved.
>>

> "You can try this before you install anything: on your Pocket PC open file
> explorer, browse to \Windows, tap welcome.exe and follow the instructions.
> Soft reset the device and try again."
>
> I've done that, - no joy!!! - still getting the "not found" message
>
> I've downloaded VxUtil.exe and installed it on my Storage Card.
>
> I'm not sure how to use it though !!!
Anonymous
May 24, 2005 7:06:01 PM

Mauricio Freitas [MVP] wrote:
> Simply start the program from Start | Program | Communications.
>
> Tap the PING tool and enter a hostname. Tap PING and see if you receive a
> valid response or TIMEOUT. If if fails using a name, use an IP Address to a
> known host (always used www.wired.com).
>
> Also, there is an option to show the connection information, like current IP
> Address ,DNS server, Gateway, etc. This will tell us if your connection is
> really ok. But only if you know your network enough to validate this
> information.

Tried to ping www.wired.com and also www.thehungersite.com and in each
case received the reply:

"Cannot find host xxx.xxxxx.com"
Anonymous
May 25, 2005 2:05:09 AM

"DGC" <pax@dgcree.wanadoo.co.uk> wrote in message
news:D 6up85$2vc$1@news7.svr.pol.co.uk...
> Mauricio Freitas [MVP] wrote:
>> Simply start the program from Start | Program | Communications.
>>
>> Tap the PING tool and enter a hostname. Tap PING and see if you receive a
>> valid response or TIMEOUT. If if fails using a name, use an IP Address to
>> a known host (always used www.wired.com).
>>
>> Also, there is an option to show the connection information, like current
>> IP Address ,DNS server, Gateway, etc. This will tell us if your
>> connection is really ok. But only if you know your network enough to
>> validate this information.
>>
> Tried to ping www.wired.com and also www.thehungersite.com and in each
> case received the reply:
>
> "Cannot find host xxx.xxxxx.com"

It sounds like either you don't have a DNS server setup or this connection
is not established.

http://www.geekzone.co.nz
Software for Pocket PC and Smartphone: http://www.geekzone.co.nz/store
Software for Pocket PC directly on your device:
http://www.geekzone.co.nz/inhand.asp
Anonymous
May 25, 2005 2:05:10 AM

In article <upEyNfEYFHA.3732@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl>,
Mauricio Freitas [MVP] <dr.emailposter@nowhere.invalid> wrote:
>"DGC" <pax@dgcree.wanadoo.co.uk> wrote in message
>news:D 6up85$2vc$1@news7.svr.pol.co.uk...
>>>
>> Tried to ping www.wired.com and also www.thehungersite.com and in each
>> case received the reply:
>>
>> "Cannot find host xxx.xxxxx.com"
>
>It sounds like either you don't have a DNS server setup or this connection
>is not established.

DGC, you're using a Jornada 54X series Pocket PC, right? Do you happen to
have Service Pack 1 installed? That update apparently includes some major
changes which improve the performance of Internet Explorer, and may
address your DNS issue. You might also want to consider installing the
High Encryption pack, which will allow you to browse secure websites that
require 128-bit SSL connections.

Unfortunately, I have no idea where one would download said updates. Any
MVP happen to have a source handy?

-KKC, who will bring his own lunch to lunchtime business meetings for
which food is not served.
--
--S.S.B. is the code name for America's daring, highly | kendrick @io .com
trained special mission force. Its purpose: to |
defend human freedom against al-Qaeda, a ruthless | Please don't use
terrorist organization determined to rule the world! | eBay. Ask me why.
Anonymous
May 25, 2005 2:05:11 AM

Kendrick Kerwin Chua wrote:
> In article <upEyNfEYFHA.3732@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl>,
> Mauricio Freitas [MVP] <dr.emailposter@nowhere.invalid> wrote:
>
>>"DGC" <pax@dgcree.wanadoo.co.uk> wrote in message
>>news:D 6up85$2vc$1@news7.svr.pol.co.uk...
>>
>>>Tried to ping www.wired.com and also www.thehungersite.com and in each
>>>case received the reply:
>>>
>>>"Cannot find host xxx.xxxxx.com"
>>
>>It sounds like either you don't have a DNS server setup or this connection
>>is not established.
>

> DGC, you're using a Jornada 54X series Pocket PC, right? Do you happen to
> have Service Pack 1 installed? That update apparently includes some major
> changes which improve the performance of Internet Explorer, and may
> address your DNS issue. You might also want to consider installing the
> High Encryption pack, which will allow you to browse secure websites that
> require 128-bit SSL connections.
>
> Unfortunately, I have no idea where one would download said updates. Any
> MVP happen to have a source handy?
>
> -KKC, who will bring his own lunch to lunchtime business meetings for
> which food is not served.

Thanks Mauricio and KKC.

The answer to your wuestion KKC is i dont know if i have the said
service pack installed, how would i find out?

I repeat to all ionterested parties, where can I obtain copies of SP1
for PPC IE or indeed the High Encryption Pack ?

Thanks
Anonymous
May 25, 2005 2:05:12 AM

In article <d6vvva$jp6$1@newsg4.svr.pol.co.uk>,
DGC <pax@dgcree.wanadoo.co.uk> wrote:

>The answer to your wuestion KKC is i dont know if i have the said
>service pack installed, how would i find out?
>
>I repeat to all ionterested parties, where can I obtain copies of SP1
>for PPC IE or indeed the High Encryption Pack ?

Ed answered this question in another thread; you can download Service Pack
1 for Pocket PC 2000 here:

http://download.microsoft.com/download/4/b/2/4b28c296-a...

Note that SP1 already includes the High Encryption Pack, which allows
Pocket IE to browse SSL pages. As for resolving your DNS problems, please
see my other response. :)

-KKC, falling asleep watching afternoon TV. Man, everything they put on
film between 1984 and 2003 is mind deadening, isn't it?
--
--S.S.B. is the code name for America's daring, highly | kendrick @io .com
trained special mission force. Its purpose: to |
defend human freedom against al-Qaeda, a ruthless | Please don't use
terrorist organization determined to rule the world! | eBay. Ask me why.
Anonymous
May 25, 2005 3:17:03 AM

Kendrick Kerwin Chua wrote:
> In article <d6tifm$pc6$1@newsg3.svr.pol.co.uk>,
> DGC <pax@dgcree.wanadoo.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>I am using a Jornada 545 and trying to access various webpages using
>>Internet Explorer The connection is sound as far as I'm aware I am
>>synched properly and the IE Icon rotates as normal, but all I get in
>>response is the notice
>>
>>"The page you are looking for cannot be found"
>>
>>I am using a broadband connection.
>>
>>I am assuming that IE operates on the Pocket PC in a similar manner to
>>that of a Home PC
>

> After some digging around trying to solve a similar problem on my own
> Jornada 548 device, I came across two bits of information:
>
> 1) Many ISP's actively reject DNS requests which are malformed or which
> come from unrecognized clients. For example, some of the DNS servers in
> Florida used by Comcast will outright reject DNS queries made from Windows
> CE and older Linux clients.
> 2) Nobody likes to help people who are still using SH3 and MIPS devices.
>
> I was also not able to resolve IP names from my Jornada, although every
> other last node on my home network could do so without issue (including a
> Sega Dreamcast and a Mattel Juice Box.) However, when I set a static IP
> address and added some public DNS servers to the network settings, I was
> able to resolve names like a champ. I used the GraniteCanyon public DNS
> servers, which are:
>
> 205.166.226.38
> 69.67.108.10
>
> I'm pretty sure that the IP stack on the old PPC2000 devices is primitive
> enough that you can't override DHCP settings and have alternate DNS
> servers set up if your IP address is automatically assigned. However, if
> you're only using your Jornada on your home network, it shouldn't be an
> issue to give it a static IP. Hope this helps you out.
>
> -KKC, who can't wait for IPV6 to hit the market and screw up our networks
> even further than before...

Thank again Kendrick, I have now downloaded and installed the PPc SP1 on
my Storage Card but I still cannot resolve the websites.

I think the problem is that although reasonably computer orientated, I
find DNS and IP addresses and the use of VxUtil somewhat confusing.

For example How and where do I set up a static IP Address?

How do I add public DNS settings to my "network ?" I only have one
standalone HPC to which I link my Jornada 545

What are DHCP settings?

Could I use the Granite Canyon public servers or would it be more
advantageous to use ones nearer home in UK and how could i obtain
their addresses?

"Nobody likes to help people who are still using SH3 and MIPS devices."

With few exceptions I have noted this !!!

Thanks again
Anonymous
May 25, 2005 12:08:46 PM

In article <d70953$8ch$1@news7.svr.pol.co.uk>,
DGC <pax@dgcree.wanadoo.co.uk> wrote:
<snip>
>I think the problem is that although reasonably computer orientated, I
>find DNS and IP addresses and the use of VxUtil somewhat confusing.
>
>For example How and where do I set up a static IP Address?

Under the Connections portion of the Settings pages, there should be
several icons for each type of connection. There should be one specific
for Network, as opposed to a PC connection or an AvantGo connection type.
Tap on this and you'll see a window dialogue that has a scrollbox listing
several network devices, including the one you have installed. On the old
Jornada 54X series, you'll also see the Socket LPE driver and the generic
NE2000 driver, even if those devices aren't installed. Double-tap the item
that corresponds to your network card and you'll see a network
configuration dialogue that prompts you to either use a server-assigned
address (which is a DHCP) or assign an address manually (which is a static
address.)

> How do I add public DNS settings to my "network ?" I only have one
>standalone HPC to which I link my Jornada 545

Okay, now I'm confused. You're connecting the Jornaeda to a Handheld PC in
order to reach the Internet? Can you give some more detail about what your
home network looks like, beyond the external broadband connection?

-KKC, who wonders if the Gizmondo runs standards Windows CE apps or if the
executables need to be digitally signed...
--
--S.S.B. is the code name for America's daring, highly | kendrick @io .com
trained special mission force. Its purpose: to |
defend human freedom against al-Qaeda, a ruthless | Please don't use
terrorist organization determined to rule the world! | eBay. Ask me why.
Anonymous
May 26, 2005 4:11:06 AM

Kendrick Kerwin Chua wrote:
> In article <d70953$8ch$1@news7.svr.pol.co.uk>,
> DGC <pax@dgcree.wanadoo.co.uk> wrote:
> <snip>
>
>>I think the problem is that although reasonably computer orientated, I
>>find DNS and IP addresses and the use of VxUtil somewhat confusing.
>>
>>For example How and where do I set up a static IP Address?
>

> Under the Connections portion of the Settings pages, there should be
> several icons for each type of connection. There should be one specific
> for Network, as opposed to a PC connection or an AvantGo connection type.
> Tap on this and you'll see a window dialogue that has a scrollbox listing
> several network devices, including the one you have installed. On the old
> Jornada 54X series, you'll also see the Socket LPE driver and the generic
> NE2000 driver, even if those devices aren't installed. Double-tap the item
> that corresponds to your network card and you'll see a network
> configuration dialogue that prompts you to either use a server-assigned
> address (which is a DHCP) or assign an address manually (which is a static
> address.)

Thanks again for the information, Kendrick, I'll have a go at that tomorrow.

>> How do I add public DNS settings to my "network ?" I only have one
>>standalone HPC to which I link my Jornada 545
>

> Okay, now I'm confused. You're connecting the Jornaeda to a Handheld PC in
> order to reach the Internet? Can you give some more detail about what your
> home network looks like, beyond the external broadband connection?

By HPC I meant a Home Personal Computer ie a Desktop Computer ( sorry
about the confusion ) which is connected to the local telephone network
on a broadband connection. My Jornada 545 is connected to the Desktop PC.
Anonymous
May 26, 2005 4:33:12 AM

Under the Connections portion of the Settings pages,

*I've got there*

there should be several icons for each type of connection.

*I found those*

There should be one specific for Network, as opposed to a PC connection
or an AvantGo connection type.

*Ive found that*

Tap on this and you'll see a window dialogue that has a scrollbox
listing several network devices, including the one you have installed.

*I do not have a network set up so I have anything installed which
would show in this box*

On the old Jornada 54X series,

* thats me*

you'll also see the Socket LPE driver and the generic NE2000 driver,
even if those devices aren't installed.

*Yes, they are both there*

Double-tap the item that corresponds to your network card and you'll see
a network configuration dialogue that prompts you to either use a
server-assigned address (which is a DHCP) or assign an address manually
(which is a static address.)

*I dont have a Network Card as I do not have a network only a
standalone Desktop PC*
Anonymous
May 26, 2005 4:33:13 AM

Might take a look at the tips at http://BevHoward.com/NetWk.htm

fwiw, those tips were written when using a Jornada 548 ;-)

hth,
Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
Anonymous
May 26, 2005 1:14:39 PM

In article <d731vr$sc7$1@newsg3.svr.pol.co.uk>,
DGC <pax@dgcree.wanadoo.co.uk> wrote:

>Double-tap the item that corresponds to your network card and you'll see
>a network configuration dialogue that prompts you to either use a
>server-assigned address (which is a DHCP) or assign an address manually
>(which is a static address.)
>
>*I dont have a Network Card as I do not have a network only a
>standalone Desktop PC*

Okay, here's the problem. Pocket PC 2000 does not support TCP/IP pass-
through for the use of Internet Explorer and other applications which
access the network. This is unique to Pocket PC 2002 and later versions.
Unless you're using a modem or a network card, you can't use Pocket IE on
your Jornada 54X device to browse the Internet. Sorry, confused about your
setup and what you were trying to do.

-KKC, remembering why he doesn't come around this group often anymore...
--
--S.S.B. is the code name for America's daring, highly | kendrick @io .com
trained special mission force. Its purpose: to |
defend human freedom against al-Qaeda, a ruthless | Please don't use
terrorist organization determined to rule the world! | eBay. Ask me why.
Anonymous
May 26, 2005 9:31:34 PM

Unless you're using a modem or a network card, you can't use Pocket IE
on your Jornada 54X device to browse the Internet.

*I do have a 56K dial up modem which I use occasionally when I use a pay
as you go set up. Can I use this to connect to the Internet and how
would i go about configuring it?*
January 14, 2011 10:24:22 PM

This topic has been closed by Buwish
!